Photo

Favorite Game Genre

• Please log in to reply
468 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game genre do you most enjoy playing? (4480 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game genre do you most enjoy playing?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 gamecreator500

gamecreator500

GMC Member

• 42 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:56 PM

I think one of the things that make an RPG so attractive is the storylines. Many people who love to read (like myself) find themselves amidst in wonder as they play for hours on end to find out whats going to happen next. Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross are two very good games in that manner. Chrono cross has had me gaping in awe at the suprise of some connection of some sort that was just made.

RPG definitally. Adventures just dont have the Story down well enough.

BTW: Another game where you can be evil or good is called Jade Empire, where you can follow the way of the open palm or the way of the closed fist.

#32 cbdman25

cbdman25

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1620 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:04 PM

What are you on about? Adventure games have the best storylines, RPG storylines are basically the same thing (with exceptions).

But when it comes to story lines for adventure games it has to be clever, interesting and it has to fit together with the game and has to make sense.

No RPG could possibly have the intellectual qualities of an Adventure game.

ASAP

#33 Charruss

Charruss

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:33 PM

SPORT!!!! football/soccer rules world cup starts on friday! best games evr are footy/soccer

Edited by Charruss, 07 June 2006 - 06:34 PM.

#34 fasteddy_jones

fasteddy_jones

Anarchist

• GMC Member
  • 663 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:07 PM

Wow, I thought stealth would have a little more. I love the Splinter Cell series. And the Metal Gear games are stealth.....Who doesn't like Metal Gear?

fasteddy

#35 Sovereign

Sovereign

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:03 PM

I choose other because I enjoy the sci-fi action shooters such as Wing Commander, Freelancer and the old game Protostar (does anyone remember that one?). I guess some of the latter, especially Protostar, fall under the Adventure category because it's more of a thinking persons game rather than an all out action game such as Wing Commander. It's so hard to fit a game in one genre these days...

As for the RPG thing, they are so popular because of the large worlds, ability to play and grow as a different person, and open ended option to do what ever you basically want (well, some rpgs allow this). And there are a lot of games that allow you to choose good or evil. I can not name them all nor could anybody here, but it's not really a new idea. (I believe) all the Elder Scrolls games allowed this. The only problem with RPGs these days are they all seem the same: the same races, weapons, lands, so on and so forth. I just go tired of them and left the ground completely for space.

Anywho, I thought I'd chime in with this. Peace.

#36 Zsprites

Zsprites

GMC Member

• 18 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:49 AM

FPS, I have been playing them since marathon and dark forces, well as close to playing as I could at that age and they have alwais been the best. Both because much more raw skill is involved than any role playing game, aswell as the fact that it is much more of a personal feeling as opposed to basecly every game type where you not only spend the entire game looking at someone else (who you are controlling) but are thrown into their situations and their plots, and although fps doesn't entirely eliminate this, it helps. Also any fps offers more exciting situations and expriences in comparison to tbs or puzzle games, where what you expirience is litteraly cut out for you already. So yeah, FPS, but that doesn't necisseraly(sp) mean Halo, I'll settle for Halo, but I wont root for it...

#37 sparks_crackers

sparks_crackers

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:54 AM

ooh, platforms easy, they're classic

#38 Kidwarrior66

Kidwarrior66

Beta tester

• 230 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:02 AM

I picked platforms because the first game I ever played was Super Mario Brothers for the NES, which had already been out for five years by the time I was born. It's certainly not the only kind of game I like: RPGs (More specifically, Legend of Zelda, Chrono Trigger, FF games), RTSs (Warcraft) and... I can't really say FPSs except for HL1+2, only because they're two of the few FPSs that have involved, deep backstories.

#39 fajerkaos

fajerkaos

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:01 AM

im happy to see that soo many have chosed adventure, the most varyating (is this a word in english??) games made. :skull:

#40 sonicx7

sonicx7

GMC Member

• 18 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 06:20 PM

Platforms!Sonic rulz! :D

#41 S.S.

S.S.

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:15 PM

OTHER:
tycoon games.

sorry if that falls under the geners on the poll

#42 twiggy06

twiggy06

GMC Member

• 60 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:57 PM

i voted for platform cause some of the greatest games are platform games like mario and other nintendo games conkers bad fir day

#43 waiter2

waiter2

GMC Member

• 18 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:52 AM

OTHER:
Rhythm

Why? Because there is a limitless replay value and you can be extremely original with its controls (ie: DDR, Guitar hero, Gitaroo Man). And in my opinion the genre includes some of the hardest games ever made, I've been working on level 2 of Gitaroo Man for 3 years now! :GM6:

Edited by waiter2, 13 July 2006 - 07:19 AM.

#44 Pie Person!

Pie Person!

GM 6+ Lover

• GMC Member
  • 1973 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:38 AM

Turn Based Strategy (Advance Wars; Fire Emblem; etc)

Thats the best, to bad i dident see it. i voted for adventure

#45 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 4279 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 July 2006 - 06:55 PM

There, I fixed your vote.

#46 Castaras

Castaras

Female Programmer

• 115 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:36 PM

That is annoying! You can't choose more than one choice! :(

Favourite games - MMORPGs(RPG), Myst, Simon the Sorcerer, Might and Magic VII - IX

#47 cbdman25

cbdman25

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1620 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:30 PM

That is annoying! You can't choose more than one choice! :)

Favourite games - MMORPGs(RPG), Myst, Simon the Sorcerer, Might and Magic VII - IX

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The question is what you favourite game genre is. You can't have two favourites.

That's why you can only choose one. If you chose more than one, then you're just naming the genres you like, not your favourite.

#48 snipufin

snipufin

Teh ultimate Game Maker

• 223 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:53 PM

Absolutely Stealth with MGS!

#49 coolsmile

coolsmile

Programmer

• 1346 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:56 PM

OTHER:
tycoon games.

sorry if that falls under the geners on the poll

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It falls under RTS :)

#50 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 4279 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:29 PM

No, tycoon games count as "Simulation".

#51 Fourrunner

Fourrunner

GMC Member

• 36 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

you know people that like first person shooter
like Adventure games like me so it was hard to chose beween them
PS people who like first person shooter and hate or do not like Adventure games
are mad

Edited by Fourrunner, 07 August 2006 - 02:28 PM.

#52 StopThatGuy

StopThatGuy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 638 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:47 AM

I chose Other, because I simply can't decide :rolleyes:

Oh btw, Horror wasn't included, I know your not allowed to post this, but Horror is a common genre and should be included.

#53 Eggie

Eggie

GMC Member

• 20 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:07 PM

I refuse to put my favourite game; Monkey Island in the same catergory as Myst.
No. NO!

#54 Mgamerz

Mgamerz

Lazy Developer

• 1289 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

What would Star Fox 64 count as? It doesn't seem like a FPS...

#55 WarlordWill

WarlordWill

GMC Member

• 43 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:21 PM

RTS ALL THE WAY!!!

It involves way more strategy and thinking then an RPG!
The online battles rock!

#56 Tomkin

Tomkin

GMC Member

• 118 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:55 PM

Having just deposited vote 666, I feel a little wierd...

Some games fit into more than one category. Most of my favorite games are both TBS and RPG-like (Fire Emblem, FFT, etc) for example. But I voted RPG because there are more good RPGs out there than TBS. Once you play through Fire Emblem and FFT(A) and maybe Advance Wars there's really not much left.

I don't see whypeople love FPSs so much. I find the controls to be often clunky and non-intuitive and the gameplay to barely differ between most games in the genre. I've only played a few shooters that break in any way from the "run, shoot, run, shoot" formula.

Edited by Tomkin, 30 August 2006 - 07:01 PM.

#57 arrowone

arrowone

GMC Member

• 218 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:58 AM

OTHER:
- Third person shooter, eg. Metal Arms.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I think Armored Core would fit into this category, and I love it right now.

#58 Marked

Marked

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:02 AM

Definately platform, because some of my favourite games are platforms. Also first person shooter, because of Doom.

#59 WillBellJr

WillBellJr

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:10 PM

My passion is Space Simulation games; all the Wing Commander games were at the top!

WC Privateer was the one game that changed my life forever! (It is now my goal in life to try and recreate the action and open endness of that game! )

-Will

#60 gamerboy1

gamerboy1

GMC Member

• 141 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:31 AM

I picked Simulation because i love them.I love games where you can build because you basicly can do whatever you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users