Game Annoyance List

• Please log in to reply
899 replies to this topic

#51 P_R_O_T_O_M_A_N

P_R_O_T_O_M_A_N

Ultimate Protoman Fan

• 60 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 04:05 AM

just out of curiosity, what games would those be? (where the player largely watches things happen)

you really shouldn't have asked that :skull
My Annoyance lists complie of several different games.
Plasma Twins Strike Again
Megaman PSX
Cosgrove's Umbrella
Ape Escape Poverty Kicks ***
Emoticon Pleasure
Death do you Death
Don't ask me that same question
Dance Dance REVOLVED
::::;;
And a whole lot more

#52 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 December 2003 - 01:39 PM

I'll add my 2 cents. Things that can put me off:
  • Poor interface. It takes time, but you need a good interface to your game. It really IS the face of your game. Just a bunch of message boxes in which you can click yes or no to select the options is a serious put-down.
  • Graphics or sound inconsistency. For graphics: images that do not "fit" together in the game. This happens especially with ripped graphics. For sounds: any music or sound that simply does not fit the content of the game (for example, a game about picking flowers with a futuristic techno synthesizer theme).
  • Bad speed performance on relatively simple games. This is mostly caused by inefficient programming. I don't want to need a 1.2 Gigahertz machine to play Space Invaders.
  • Using the default Game Maker loading screen. Make your own!
  • Spelling errors in the language used. Any game with spelling errors seems either unprofessional or thrown together in a hurry. Ask someone else to correct your spelling if you are unsure.
Smarty

#53 imakegames99

imakegames99

Xtreme Gamer!

• 290 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 01:44 PM

I hate games with too many particles. they annoy me.

Edited by imakegames99, 29 December 2003 - 01:45 PM.

#54 39ster

39ster

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 898 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 02:27 PM

Extra files, other than the one Game Maker compiled exe., that are needed to run the game.

This is one is wrong. More professional games dont use just one exe as there game. They usually have directories with graphics that load at runtime. I do it all the time, it also makes loading time faster if you only load the sprites when there first needed.

#55 TheAnemic

TheAnemic

Annoying back itch

• GMC Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 06:25 PM

Some people get trigger happy with transition effects. That pisses me off. Just leave them as they are.

#56 Guest_FALLN1_*

Guest_FALLN1_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2003 - 01:12 AM

On installers.

Unless your game is over ten megs or you absolutely need seperate files to improve performance drastically, you should not have one. It isn't needed and there's no need to delude yourself into thinking you do.

#57 'Arry

'Arry

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 01:18 AM

On installers. 

Unless your game is over ten megs or you absolutely need seperate files to improve performance drastically, you should not have one.  It isn't needed and there's no need to delude yourself into thinking you do.

I agree - installers just mean you have to mess around for longer before you can play the game. More annoyances i thought of: People who name their readme files readme.txt - this gets annoying if you are extracting games, because you have to create a new folder for each game, which takes time. But worse is games which use GMR files to run them and the person calls it game.gmr. Then when you try to run a game you get a different one because the file has been overwritten. These are annoying and could be easily avoided by adding some characters or giving the more individual names.

Edited by 'Arry, 12 April 2004 - 05:37 PM.

#58 Adam

Adam

Potato chip

• 755 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 03:32 AM

One big fault 99% of GM platformers have:
They only use still platforms or with simple movement(up&down, right&left)...
Be more original!Use circular and random motions, rolling platforms, abbility to climb walls(so you have to catch the platform from the side instead of landing on it),...Just play a Megaman or a Sonic game and you should get 100 ideas for different platforms

I have a platformer in the works with not much progress right now that has bullet pickups, falling blocks, retracting platforms, diagonal and circle moving platforms, switches and buttons and other effect objects, and is soon going to have pushable blocks.

#59 Guest_Rekkoha_*

Guest_Rekkoha_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:22 AM

I hate the edited 1945s!! I HATE THEM, I HATE THEM ALL!!

What the hell am I talking about, I made one too....

Anyway, some things that annoy me:
-- Cheap stock BGM MIDIs that sound like a raggae musician on weed.
-- Games that take in between now and the Second Advent to load.
-- Mismatched graphics (the main character is a highly detailed professional sprite and the boss is 32x32 with image_scale at 10)
-- Mismatched sound (BGM is in MP3 and the sound effects are set to Telephone Quality from Sound Recorder)
-- Anything that even vaguely resembles Starfox Advance, that game was horrible (and yes J Dan, I know you said specifically we are not to bash other games. However this game was so bad I believe it merits a bash. Play it and see what I mean; it was some kind of a joke).

That's all I have for now.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that the standard GM popups are indeed annoying. But most people use them because custom ones are very difficult to program.

Edited by Rekkoha, 12 April 2004 - 05:23 AM.

#60 CobraA1

CobraA1

Logic Fanatic

• 542 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 06:54 AM

Unless your game is over ten megs or you absolutely need seperate files to improve performance drastically, you should not have one. It isn't needed and there's no need to delude yourself into thinking you do.

Who's deluded here? Only 1337 GameMaker players insist on no installers. 99% of the professional games I play use an installer. Not having an installer screams unprofessional, and there's no need to delude yourself into thinking otherwise.

installers just mean you have to mess around for longer before you can play the game.

You mean compared to manually telling the zip program where to place the file, creating directories manually, and extracting files? I fail to see how this is any better than mindlessly clicking the "next" button, and I fail to see why mindlessly clicking the "next" button is considered "difficult".

People who name their redme files readme.txt - this gets annoying if you are extracting games, because you have to create a new folder for each game

Only a problem for 1337 GameMaker users who insist that there is something wrong with installers.

#61 linkmandx

linkmandx

Game Maker

• 169 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 02:09 PM

I like having more than one way to complete things. I know this would not be possible in a platformer, but in RTS's, and stealth squad shooters, that should be included. I will try to include that in my stealth squad shooter.

#62 NJCatch22

NJCatch22

Washed up!

• 253 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 06:45 PM

Some people hate installers because they might have viruses. Well, they should know that anything can have a virus!

I would add this to the annoyance list :

Unappropriate help file, that is, something like this :

Play my amazing game! It's the best game ever! 1337!
The story is that blablabla...
And don't forget (characterName) rules!

And it has no information about how to play the game.
No information on controls, items, levels or even serious story information, nothing. Only wierd and stupid stuff that is useless and make the player waste valuable time.

#63 bpdenny

bpdenny

Wazzap?

• 74 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 08:04 AM

Dislike people who hate installers? Dislike me then hehe :huh:
C'mon, installers are absolutely unnecessary for GM games; many installers create start menu links and system registry changes and all these stupid things that are totally unnecessary. I played one GM game with an installer and didn't delete right and now it's permanently stuck in my add/remove programs list and I have to take the time to go through the stupid registry to take it out myself, all because some silly twit sent out an installer.
How hard can it be to download WinRar for free? All you have to do is double click a zip and you can play it from the hard drive without even extracting permanently; heck, you can even left click the zip link in the post and press 'Open' in the window that appears and you can play from the temp zip there, no extraction ever necessary unless you want to mess with save files! If you do, just right click and now there's an addition to the menu specific to zipping/unzipping files that can instantly 'Extract here' or 'Extract to \(filename minus extension)' and boom it's all done for you.
Installers make the game feel like it's going for artificial professionality (which probably isn't a word hehe) and I feel like the maker is trying to cover up a bad game with some fancy installer and it just makes me negative about it before it's even extracted. Plus you HAVE to extract it, even without WinRAR one should be able to look inside and/or run files from the zip before extraction anyway.
Professional games, on the other hand, need an installer because there is a lot more that goes into installing a professional game than simply extracting 2 files...Usually. Occasionally a cheap game will just install a link to the hard drive (which means you can play off disc and never need to install anyway) but for most games you need to do a lot more. I just installed Uru, the latest installment of the Myst series, and it took a long time. Reading checking extracting installing modifying all the sounds and graphics checking for system specs adding registry links checking for online connection for registry blahblahblah allll kinds of stuff. And then some stuff still stays on disc so that you have to play with the disc in the PC. With GM games this is overkill that almost always results in stupid side effects.

So, please, no more installers, thank you.

Anyways, things in GM games that kill it for me are simply when it shows that the creator didn't put much effort into it. It shows sometimes, and it kills it. I don't mind if it's hard or the spelling iz crizap or something like that but if the game works it's fine. When someone just releases a game just because they were bored they really are missing the point in making these games in the first place.

Hey, wait this topic has been dead for 5 months why did you guys all of a sudden add stuff? ;) hehe

#64 CobraA1

CobraA1

Logic Fanatic

• 542 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 08:37 AM

no extraction ever necessary unless you want to mess with save files!

Technically, this isn't true - it only appears that way - the program does indeed temorarily extract the file before it runs it.

How hard can it be to download WinRar for free?

Most people don't even know what a .rar file is, much less what to do with it.

My WinRAR 30-day trial expired long ago. I use UltimateZip now.

All you have to do is double click a zip and you can play it from the hard drive without even extracting permanently; heck, you can even left click the zip link in the post and press 'Open' in the window that appears and you can play from the temp zip there, no extraction ever necessary unless you want to mess with save files! If you do, just right click and now there's an addition to the menu specific to zipping/unzipping files that can instantly 'Extract here' or 'Extract to \(filename minus extension)' and boom it's all done for you.

All you have to do with an installer is click the "next" button a few times ;).

many installers create start menu links and system registry changes and all these stupid things that are totally unnecessary.

Many people can't find the program if it isn't in the Start Menu :sniched .

Installers make the game feel like it's going for artificial professionality

What's wrong with that? You'll sell a lot more copies even if you just "look" professional, even if you aren't. Besides, professionalism is something we should all strive for :huh:.

With GM games this is overkill that almost always results in stupid side effects.

Why are GameMaker games considered to be unprofessional? Because we insist on keeping them unprofessional by telling other people junk like this!

So, please, no more installers, thank you.

Good. Throw away Uru and Riven, SimCity, Command & Conquer, Diablo, and just about every game on the professsional market. They all use installers, and if any GameMaker user wants their game to be considered professional, they have to play by the unwritten, but very real, rules.

#65 'Arry

'Arry

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 12:04 PM

The bottom line is that installers are only necessary if you have a lot of files and folders which need to be created. With most GM games having just the executable, and some with a readme file, it is unnecessary. Using an installer takes just as much time because you still have to specify a directory for it to install into. And what dod you mean by 'most people can't find a file if it's not in the start menu'? That is utter trash. Anybody who plays games can use Windows Explorer. And you talk about professionalism - the fact is GM games aren't professional. We distribute them for free and they are created using a program, NOT a programming language like C++.

Edited by 'Arry, 13 April 2004 - 12:04 PM.

#66 hpapillon

hpapillon

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 3020 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 13 April 2004 - 12:35 PM

Speak for yourself; there ARE people selling GM games. ;) And yes, we have to use installers, because it's 'expected' in the market.

Still sucks though, and you certainly won't see me putting an installer on a beta version posted in WIP. (What are people who do that THINKING? Who wants to 'install' something that isn't even finished?)
Yes, making games is my day job.
Anime Games
Gaming blog

#67 CobraA1

CobraA1

Logic Fanatic

• 542 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 04:51 PM

Using an installer takes just as much time because you still have to specify a directory for it to install into.

Usually, the installer has a default directory in, so the user really doesn't have to if the user doesn't want to.

And what dod you mean by 'most people can't find a file if it's not in the start menu'? That is utter trash. Anybody who plays games can use Windows Explorer.

You haven't met my mother. Or my grandmother. Or about 90% of Americans.

And you talk about professionalism - the fact is GM games aren't professional.

I wonder why? :wistle

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. If you want to be professional, you've got to act professional.

We distribute them for free

As hpapillon says, speak for yourself. Some of us are selling them.

#68 Hexrapper

Hexrapper

The 1337 Rapper

• 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 05:52 PM

I have a few things to say, and sorry if they've been said before.

Un-compressed MP3 music just takes up too much space. And you're making a risk with it, because the user might hate the band/music (Shawn64 got quite a few complaints about his Linkin Park music, which I personally didn't mind, being a fan of the music).

It's ok to make a game hard, but not SO hard that you're retrying the level for the 30th time (CoughMEGAMANZEROCough).

Telling people when you're game will be done and not uploading it around that time area is annoying to the user. I've learned the hard way about this (I got some PMs complaining 'Where is Game Maker E3?').

Don't try to put something in a game that you aren't capable of doing, it'll slow down the progress (Though I did manage to learn online and it's basics all in one day, for my Mario Party game).

And the funny thing is, I've made all of these mistakes you see here. Anyway, I hope I helped contribute a little. And that's an awesome list J Dan, I'll be saving it.

#69 Juju

Juju

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1109 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 13 April 2004 - 06:42 PM

I like having more than one way to complete things. I know this would not be possible in a platformer, but in RTS's, and stealth squad shooters, that should be included.

Not so. Many platformers are VERY open-ended. eg Wario Land 2&3.

If you want your game to be able to be downloaded by many people, never use MP3. The size of the game sky-rockets.

Come find me @jujuadams

Try out my open-source 3D globe terrain generator!

How about a fancy-pants text engine?

Adding dialogue boxes to your games is now super easy. Also localisation. Also tweening.

#70 linkmandx

linkmandx

Game Maker

• 169 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:02 PM

If you are mentioning a 2-D platformer, I am surprised. 3-D, not so surprised. But that's beside the point. I want multiple ways to do things, some better than others.

Large file sizes are bad. Zip and add installers people!

#71 random

random

completely random

• 798 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:14 PM

Installers are bad for freeware. Because it was downloaded from the internet, installers can't be trusted. It could screw up your registry, put something on the desktop that you might not ever play again (due to the badness of the game itself), and even contain a virus.

Plus I don't think someone who can't find something except from the start menu would be able to dowload something, because they won't be able to find where they downloaded it to!

Of course, with commercial games it's different. It's different worlds.
My avatar still changes every time you refresh.

Barrage , a "curtain fire" shoot em up.

http://www.randomdragoon.com

#72 CobraA1

CobraA1

Logic Fanatic

• 542 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:34 AM

Installers are bad for freeware. Because it was downloaded from the internet, installers can't be trusted. It could screw up your registry, put something on the desktop that you might not ever play again (due to the badness of the game itself), and even contain a virus.

So could a GameMaker executable, your point?

Oh, and BTW GameMaker games can be commercial also. The vast majority are freeware, yes, but not all.

#73 'Arry

'Arry

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 11:01 AM

Using an installer takes just as much time because you still have to specify a directory for it to install into.

Usually, the installer has a default directory in, so the user really doesn't have to if the user doesn't want to.

And what dod you mean by 'most people can't find a file if it's not in the start menu'? That is utter trash. Anybody who plays games can use Windows Explorer.

You haven't met my mother. Or my grandmother. Or about 90% of Americans.

And you talk about professionalism - the fact is GM games aren't professional.

I wonder why? :wistle

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. If you want to be professional, you've got to act professional.

We distribute them for free

As hpapillon says, speak for yourself. Some of us are selling them.

Yes, but 90% of the time the default directory is not where I want to install the game. I like to organise my files how I want them.

Yes, and do your mother and grandmother play games? Notice I said 'people who play games' not just anybody.

Maybe we don't want to be professional. It's a hobby, and nothing more.

#74 Guest_Rekkoha_*

Guest_Rekkoha_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2004 - 11:11 AM

Speak for yourself. I'm working on an RPG right now, and I intend for it to be completely original and of professional quality. I thoroughly intend to sell it when it's done, and to expedite it's completion I'm working with the Game Making Central GM Team. A little organization goes a long way towards professionality(is that a word?).

Gm games ain't just a hobby, people. It can be, if you want it to, but by nature it can be something much more.

Edited by Rekkoha, 14 April 2004 - 11:12 AM.

#75 Dude_sWeden

Dude_sWeden

Making Problems

• GMC Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:56 PM

I don't know if somebody already said this (I have not read everything(So long and much posts)) but here it is:

I don't like it if you have played througt realy many levels and then you die and need to play them again, I think it is annoying.

And one more things Clones(I don't like them but people are different)

Edited by Dude_sWeden, 14 April 2004 - 12:56 PM.

- Dude_sWeden

#76 Simon Donkers

Simon Donkers

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 06:17 PM

On the topic of installers. Installers are annoying and time consuming in my opinion. When I download a game I want to start playing it straigh away. Also I don't want a program to change my registry settings or those annoying programs which create shortcuts everywhere. Also removing installed games takes more time. You either need to look for an uninstall shortcut somewhere or go to the control panel to remove it and wait a long time untill the list with installed software is loaded. Also installers usually force you to accept a license agreement. When I am going to play a game of which I don't know yet what it is with low expectations then I usually don't have much trust in a user for not having an annoying rule within the licence agreement. Also licence agreements are to long usually to completely read through. I know of a company for instance who had a very simple program but halfway the licence agreement somewhere on page 50 stood that they where allowed to take over as your internet provider and change your internet connection to a 1 euro a minute number. I don't say that the people here do these things but I don't know most of them so there could be people that do these things.
Some useful information about installers for games: http://msdn.microsof...ctx07152003.asp
It is an article from Microsoft about the way installers should be.

Users buy games because they enjoy playing them, not because they enjoy installing them. Installing a game should be as quick, straightforward, and as painless as possible for the end user. Ideally, end users should not even see an installation UI; they should just be able to drop the game CD in the tray and begin playing.

Most professional games use an installer, according to my opinion, to A: make sure all the system settings are configurated and B: to force you to accept a license agreement and C: to make sure all files are placed in the correct direction.
The system settings for a typical Game Maker game can be easely set at Game Start event. Almost no Game Maker game has a licence agreement and else you can also simply put it in the game start event when the game is started for the first time. To place all the files in the correct directory usually already happens when extracting a zip file although a good way is to simple at any resources as data files to make sure people can run GM games directly from the zip file to save time.

As for annoying things in games I also would like to add big amounts of text on the screen. For instance when starting a professional game like Little Big Adventure 1 you get at the start of the game an introduction text which takes in 3 complete screens. If I start the game for the first time I skid through this text and start playing the game first and if I find out that the game is worth to spend a bit of time into then I am more willing to read through big heaps of text.
Also most Game Maker games use the default Game information screen. Generating an in-game help screen takes a bit more work but looks much better. Also this gives you the ability to add images to describe things more clearly.
Also change the red GM ball to something related to your game, same goes for the loading screen. This gives your game a much professional impression.
One last suggestion although this is so straight forward that most people will do it already. Test your games before you release them. If you are done testing them then test them again. If you are done testing them then try and do some crazy things and see how your game will respond to that. For instance a game I was making worked perfectly for me. I finished it everytime flawlessly. However when let a friend play the game I noticed that he used a completely different approach which was in the end very logical however it caused my level to become unfinishable. A game player will always look at a level with a different idee then you. They will try to do a lot of strange things. Try to imagine what somebody can try and do with your game. Also a very recommandable way is to simple go and watch somebody else finish your game. Make sure not to give him any advise like you need to do it this way. Just let them try if for them self and see how they do it. After you have completed your game for the zillionth time you have a standard way of doing everything but with your testing you need to try and do whatever a user might be capable of imagining.

Please note that this is just my opinion.You are free to think about a problem else way but remember that the end user of the game might be thinking the same as me.When creating a game you do not only need to look at the way how you want the game to be but also the way how the user want the game to be.
"Most Game Maker games kinda suck. Donkers has proven that it's not the tool that determines the quality of the game, but the developer." ~Gamespy
[ B2 ] [ BLOG ] [ NL ] [ EN ] [ GAMES ] [ EO ] [ GM ] [ GMi ]

There are few people who know enough to know how little they actually know

#77 CobraA1

CobraA1

Logic Fanatic

• 542 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:03 PM

B: to force you to accept a license agreement

Usually a neccesity if a big company wants to survive <_< . Of course people who make GameMaker games usually aren't part of a big company, but without a license the only thing protecting the game is copyright laws.

C: to make sure all files are placed in the correct direction.

You need to do that in a zip program also :sniched.

Ideally, end users should not even see an installation UI; they should just be able to drop the game CD in the tray and begin playing.

Hence skipping the unzip program also :sniched. Note that Microsoft doesn't really recommend using a zip program instead of an installer, they recommend automating as much as possible. In fact, that's what I recommend - the user should have a "Quick Install" option that simply automates everything.

Hey, I got an idea! I'll make an installer that beats the pants off your zip files ::lmao::. An installer that will automatically install/run/uninstall the program each time the user double-clicks the icon B). Then the user never even has to play around with an install screen or a zip program.

Or, if it's just a single executable, just distribute the executable as-is.

OK, maybe I've been a little rough on zip files. It's just that people have been dissing installers, even though they are the most popular method of distributing games.

#78 Guest_Kahless_*

Guest_Kahless_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:17 PM

I can't say I care one way or another whether the game uses an installer, a zip file or anything else to get the game to me. One thing that will royally piss me off is if the game itself doesn't work right, or if I can finish them in less than 15 minutes. I probably spent that long downloading the game.

IF there is a good reason for an installer, then go for it. If not, then I don't really see the point. I can't remember ever changing my opinion of a game because of the installer. I did stop playing a few games because they were badly made. I have one platformer that ran so slow that it just didn't work. That will make me think you're unprofessional, not the lack of an installer.

#79 mandelbrotjulia

mandelbrotjulia

GMC Member

• 25 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 07:29 AM

"Too much focus on graphics, and not enough on gameplay"

I've never, ever seen this problem in any Game Maker game, but rather the opposite; good gameplay with crappy graphics seems all too common.

"If you can make all the jumps without variable jumping, then why do you need it?"

I agree with this. Sometimes nonlinear jumps can be good if it fits the gameplay, but sometimes its not needed. Just look at the original Castlevania trilogy.

"Unecessary installers or lack of appropriate installers"

Yes, totally agree. The problem is that most GM games just aren't worth installing. Sorry, but its true. Even the really good ones. Someone said that not having installers screams unprofessional. that's true, and that's because most GM games ARE unprofessional. Most people do this for fun.

It's like that article that bashed GM users recently, claiming that these games would be someday found in the $10 bin. Putting the games in the $10 bin is ALOT more ambitous than most people will ever get making these games. So that article was just silly and pointless, as is having installers 90% of the time. I don't want to bash a specific games, so just do this; think about the last GM game that you played, and ask yourself if it was professional enough to be installed long-term on your computer.

But understand this; I'm not saying that, if you are shooting for professional quality, you shouldn't put an installer in your game. What I'm saying is that if I download the latest NOOB crappy Mario clone with 2 levels, I really don't want to have to install it.

"Oh and I despise Midi's. I always turn off the midi control and have Winamp running in the background. Use small mid-quality sound mp3's or tracker modules."

Amen, brother.

And with that, i have my own pet peeve:

People who don't know the first thing about advertising their own game. I come online in the morning to find a new game put up in the Creations forum, so I click on the message to read something like this:

"Hey, I just finished Shnazzle, download it HERE. Please give feedback.

Edit: C'mon people, download my game!" *

Why? Why should I take the time to download a game that I know nothing about? Do you people not realize that you are competing for attention? Competing with dozens of others who put their new games up everyday? What sets you apart from them?

At the very, very least, DESCRIBE THE GAME! It's bad enough to not have a screeenshot, but at least give us a REASON to download it.

Oh, and here's another hint: yelling at us will not convince us to download your game.

* MJ would like to apologize for the lack of realism on this quote; most people would not edit their posts, but rather post again.

Edited by mandelbrotjulia, 17 April 2004 - 07:31 AM.

#80 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 18 April 2004 - 12:15 PM

I've copied the list of annoyances (in first post). Seems useful in future projects as a check list. Thanks.

#81 Gmakermaniac!!!

Gmakermaniac!!!

me->C++_FAN = true;

• 38 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 03:25 AM

You know whay I hate(not on list yet)?
  • Horrable music
  • music that dosn't match the mood of your game (like the moonlight sonata in a space shooter)
  • Obvious evedance of rushed work
:D

#82 CobraA1

CobraA1

Logic Fanatic

• 542 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:13 AM

Heh, an old topic - right after we switched from EZBoard, heh, that seems so long ago.

I'm a bit softer these days as far as the whole installers debate goes, because it's pretty much useless to convince anybody here to try to be professional, but I still pretty much agree with everything I said earlier.

#83 Chentz.cfg

Chentz.cfg

GMC Member

• 20 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:19 AM

Anyway, some things that annoy me:
-- Cheap stock BGM MIDIs that sound like a raggae musician on weed.

You ever heard one? Do they sound different from reggae musicians that are not on weed? 'Cause reggae is generally nice, and it's not what is usually heard in GM games.

#84 Mixahman

Mixahman

Mixahman Presents

• 381 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:48 AM

1-Bugs in Games!
2-Small Views
3-When Esc button is not an exit, it's something else within the game.
4-Different sprites from different eras. NES meets N64
5-Crappy controls like WASD, ctrl, alt, space bar or numpad keys
6-Jerky movements
7-Mouse aiming on platformers
8-Multiple buttons for simple actions that one button can do
9-Sound levels are different between midis.
10-Low sampled sfx that could break my speakers
11-Mp3's within a GM game that make loading time a *****
12-Big file exe for a demo with hardly any gameplay
13-Installers for demos
14-Small demos with nothing at all
15-Releasing the same damn demo over and over with minimal progress
16-Different game bg music on other games.
example - Castlevania meets GTA
17-Releasing a buggy game :wistle
18-Windows Message pop-up for talking dialogs
19-Clones not made by me :D
20-No story in the game!!!!!!

#85 Trotim

Trotim

Oldschool Kiddie

• 219 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:11 AM

Ehh...? How are we supposed to do aiming in platformers then? With W and S? :D

Also 1 and 17 are the same.

#86 Gecko

Gecko

GMC Member

• 442 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:35 AM

bleh

4-Different sprites from different eras. NES meets N64
That was in Hardhat II, and wasnt too bad...

How else do you shoot or other stuff if not with ctrl alt or space?!

Well its better than just shooting in a straight line.

#87 Diffusion Studios

Diffusion Studios

GMC Member

• 270 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 10:48 PM

surely not with a letter? You know, a key that does not make a loud, annoying sound when you press it?

really, it depends on the game...

Edited by Diffusion Studios, 21 October 2004 - 10:48 PM.

#88 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:25 PM

surely not with a letter? You know, a key that does not make a loud, annoying sound when you press it?

really, it depends on the game...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hell yeah I despise mouse aiming in platformers. Go play a decent platform shooter and most ya'll find manage to shoot in most directions without needing the damn mouse. Plus then you can have two or more players on the same machine which is far more fun than using a mouse all by yer lonesome or with some guy ya can't even see.

By the way... Wasn't this an old topic?

#89 ZDM

ZDM

Mindwarp Productions™

• 746 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 12:28 AM

why is variable jumping more realistic, if you crouch longer before you jump will you jump higher?NO

#90 Diffusion Studios

Diffusion Studios

GMC Member

• 270 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 12:46 AM

It was in the pinned topic. Exactly right relinquished. Running jump is much more realistic.

#91 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:47 AM

Uh variable jumping gives you more control on the height of yer jump, simple lil control thats been the standard in most quality platformers for last 20 years. Can you only jump to one specific height in real life or something? Can't ya make lil jumps, or medium jumps...?

#92 ZDM

ZDM

Mindwarp Productions™

• 746 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:35 AM

yeah but i mean dang its not realistic, and this variable jumping charges up your medium jumps, not your little ones, so you do more than average jumps which isn't realistic, go crouch for 3 hours and jump and make sure to bring your pc with you and tell me when you reach the moon

#93 Diffusion Studios

Diffusion Studios

GMC Member

• 270 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:59 AM

once again, running jump is more realistic and it allows you to control the height of your jump.

#94 malrak

malrak

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:24 AM

I don't think I've ever played a platformer with mouse aiming. Unless you count 3rd Person Shooting platformers, I suppose.

Oddly, the idea of a 2D sidescroller like Contra that has mouse aiming gets quite a few neat game-design thoughts rolling around my head. Could anyone name a few platform games, commercial or non, that uses mouse aiming?

#95 Diffusion Studios

Diffusion Studios

GMC Member

• 270 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:27 AM

There was one on the GM site called Matrix dude a while ago...Dunno if it's still there...

#96 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 08:42 AM

I don't think I've ever played a platformer with mouse aiming.  Unless you count 3rd Person Shooting platformers, I suppose.

Oddly, the idea of a 2D sidescroller like Contra that has mouse aiming gets quite a few neat game-design thoughts rolling around my head.  Could anyone name a few platform games, commercial or non, that uses mouse aiming?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Abuse used it for one...

Freakin piece of crap control system.

#97 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 08:47 AM

yeah but i mean dang its not realistic, and this variable jumping charges up your medium jumps, not your little ones, so you do more than average jumps which isn't realistic, go crouch for 3 hours and jump and make sure to bring your pc with you and tell me when you reach the moon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you actually understand what variable jumping is???

Go play a decent platformer like Super Mario Bros. It's when ya tap the button ya do a lil jump and if ya press it harder ya do bigger jumps? How is that not realistic? You're using more effort to do bigger jumps.

I have no idea what the hell you think it is. Sounds more the the charge jumps Mario does in Super Mario Bros 2 where ya do crouch to charge up a jump. That ain't variable jumping.

#98 RealKilljoy

RealKilljoy

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:26 PM

ill keep ALL of this stuff in mind for meh games :-P, i dont get annoyed much unless its not fun :-P thats all that matters right?

p.s. wats wrong with WASD?

#99 CreatureSpeaker

CreatureSpeaker

GMC Member

• 214 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 05:04 PM

Hmm, this is an old post. ::lmao::

Ha, I can't believe some of you are trying to make platformers and you don't even know what variable height jumping is. Your homework assignment: Go play Mario Brothers on the NES, which came out in 1985, and notice how when you hold down the jump button longer you JUMP higher. A platformer which does not have variable height jumping is not a good platformer. ;)

I disagree with not having mouse aiming though. Mouse aiming is used all the time in FPS's and it works just fine for platform games. I am not saying you HAVE to include mouse aiming, but in certain kinds of platform games (like the one I am making in Multimedia Fusion) it can work very well.

#100 blompcube

blompcube

Freaky Eyes

• 473 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:36 PM

Game that are just about graphics and no gameplay are annoiying. ::lmao::

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

too right. that's why all the games i have made are either TERRIBLE graphics, or i have nicked other people's tilesets and stuff.