899 replies to this topic

#851 toucansam313

toucansam313

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 124 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

Games that are just about graphics and no gameplay can be annoiying. Although graphics are important, they are not everything.

Phil Fish was probably yelling at this comment when  he was making FEZ lol 

#852 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:51 PM

Well, Fez was a way too complex concept anyway to implement enemy's into, even though they only needed to act as Goomba's.

My biggest game annoyances are inconsistency in graphics and the lack of originality in game play.

#853 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:32 PM

Fez was a frickin' annoying game to play.  hated it.

#854 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:30 PM

Fez was a frickin' annoying game to play.  hated it.

Me too. Had no patience to continue collecting light bulbs in that lifeless word.  :teehee:

#855 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:06 PM

I dislike when games have been compiled.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#856 AimkidProductions

AimkidProductions

Pie Fox

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:03 AM

• Cutscenes longer than 15 seconds

This is a ridiculous expectation.

I understand the disdain for games with long cutscenes, but 15 seconds? Come on, no one's wasting budget on ten second cutscenes. You're not getting anything accomplished in ten seconds.

Pretty much every game I loved growing up as a kid had cutscenes shorter than 15 seconds, or no cutscenes at all. Stories weren't important in the good ole days and that's great because it's obvious today that game developers absolutely suck at writing stories. But in the 8 bit era, nobody cared. Frog jumps out of jar, jumps next to radioactive box, jumps down hole, player chases, finds giant battle tank, and 15 seconds later you're playing Blaster Master. What???? Who cares.... this game is cool. 8 bit era: 3 or 4 dudes jump out of airplane and parachute to jungle, 5 seconds later you're playing Metal Gear and who even knows what happened to the other dudes. Nobody cares, this game is cool. 15 or so years later and this game is not so cool any more as the DNA in Liquid Snake's arm is causing Ocelot or whoever it is to talk like Liquid Snake ... what??? This game is kinda cool but why do I have to skip 3 or 4 cutscenes every time I move through a room? Yeah and every MGS since just gets worse and worse and God only knows why people buy any of it.

"Pretty much every game I loved growing up as a kid had cutscenes shorter than 15 seconds, or no cutscenes at all" That's because there's a thing called LIMITS.

Ā̺̦̯̍r͍̙̩̋̾͗́́e̼̭͗ͬ͞ͅ ̼̟̺̲̍ͪ̆w̅͜ȇ̝̰̝ ͎̞̠̊̐̔̅́͢d̙̹̮͍̫̹͑͊ĕ̲̲̜̩̲̦̀ͧa͍̝̖͛ͣ̾͊̑ͭ́d̳͇͙͢ ̡y̧͇ͥ̆ͧ̿ͣ̎̌e̤ͭ̆̀͗͝ṭ̻̻̳̮͎̝?̫͕̟̽

#857 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:23 PM

"Pretty much every game I loved growing up as a kid had cutscenes shorter than 15 seconds, or no cutscenes at all" That's because there's a thing called LIMITS.

There's a limit on my patience having to endure tedious lengthy cutscenes often of the unskippable kind. 

#858 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:03 PM

I like a game to have cutscenes if I am expecting them. I love story based games!

If I'm playing a game like Doom, I don't want them, I want to kill things. Doom 3 had far too many, just let me kill $h17 and be happy!

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#859 obscene

obscene

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3171 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:34 PM

Just watched the Anita Sarkeesian stuff... http://t.co/5W56lFNVp2 . Apart from the whole women thing, here is basically an hour of some of the worst cutscene garbage that has ever been produced for games and should be plenty enough evidence that the video game industry is fairly devoid of talented writers, hence my despisal of cutscenes in games in general. I mean it's always nice to be pleasantly suprised by some good writing in games, but I honestly can't recall the last time that happened.

Maybe in the 90s?

Edited by obscene, 16 September 2014 - 10:35 PM.

#860 Ungrateful Dead

Ungrateful Dead

Like Clockwork

• GMC Member
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:52 PM

Stop posting.

Wf5wcWT.gif

#861 Lotias

Lotias

The Tree

• GMC Member
  • 1331 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:26 PM

Just watched the Anita Sarkeesian stuff... http://t.co/5W56lFNVp2 . Apart from the whole women thing, here is basically an hour of some of the worst cutscene garbage that has ever been produced for games and should be plenty enough evidence that the video game industry is fairly devoid of talented writers, hence my despisal of cutscenes in games in general. I mean it's always nice to be pleasantly suprised by some good writing in games, but I honestly can't recall the last time that happened.

Maybe in the 90s?

I'd like to point out that Anita doesn't even play the games she talks about and 99% of these are taken way out of context.

What's so bad about these cutscenes, exactly? I'm not seeing anything particularly awful. I agree that really talented writers are kind of lacking nowadays in the video game field (Games with stories that stand out aren't really being released anymore? Then again Shadow of the Colossus is really the only game that comes to mind when I try to think of anything story-wise that stands out), but these don't really make me puke. If you want awful cutscenes, you might try games with actually awful cutscenes, such as:

Murdered: Soul Suspect (Why does this game still cost $50?)

Jail Break

Road to Hell (Unsure if that's the right name?)

Skyrim (Not really cutscenes, but, y'know)

I'd go so far as to say Borderlands, but that's just because the animations are so lifeless.

Stop posting.

is this the kind of posts that happen on GMC now :^(

LogoStandaloneUncropped.png

in development - http://skygategame.tumblr.com

I'm also available for hire - I do sound effects and draw maps

#862 Ungrateful Dead

Ungrateful Dead

Like Clockwork

• GMC Member
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:37 PM

Yes.

Happy to have contributed with my great insight. No need to thank me.

Edited by Ungrateful Dead, 16 September 2014 - 11:38 PM.

Wf5wcWT.gif

#863 obscene

obscene

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3171 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:00 AM

Maybe in the 90s?

I'd like to point out that Anita doesn't even play the games she talks about and 99% of these are taken way out of context.

What's so bad about these cutscenes, exactly? I'm not seeing anything particularly awful. I agree that really talented writers are kind of lacking nowadays in the video game field (Games with stories that stand out aren't really being released anymore? Then again Shadow of the Colossus is really the only game that comes to mind when I try to think of anything story-wise that stands out), but these don't really make me puke. If you want awful cutscenes, you might try games with actually awful cutscenes, such as:

Murdered: Soul Suspect (Why does this game still cost $50?)

Jail Break

Road to Hell (Unsure if that's the right name?)

Skyrim (Not really cutscenes, but, y'know)

I'd go so far as to say Borderlands, but that's just because the animations are so lifeless.

The very first 5 seconds. "Grab a whore and have a good time... maniacial laugh ... ".  As someone who has spent time around whores, maniacs and had good times, I've never heard that sentence actually spoken by a real person, espcecially in that wretched drawn out tone that just screams "I'm faking my voice into a microphone." Then you add it to a lifeless, poorly animated cartoon character and I'm sorry but if this were on TV I'd change the channel but somehow we think games are somehow substandard and so this is somehow relatively good. 

And yeah I momentarily forgot about SOTC, that was probably the very last game that ever impressed me.

Edited by obscene, 17 September 2014 - 12:01 AM.

#864 Lotias

Lotias

The Tree

• GMC Member
  • 1331 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:04 AM

Well, voice actors for video games are a different story. A good voice actor in a game is a gem to find.

It's not supposed to be what someone in real life would say - at least, what someone in real life would say now. It's clearly a medieval setting, or near to a medieval setting. That laughing animation is pretty bad, though, I must admit.

#865 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:33 AM

Look at Halo 4's cutscenes and tell me the voice acting and animation are bad. Several people compared them to live action movies for a while.

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 17 September 2014 - 12:33 AM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#866 Lotias

Lotias

The Tree

• GMC Member
  • 1331 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:41 AM

Halo 4's voice acting and animation aren't horrible (Definitely not the animation!), but the game's actual story is pretty weak.

I remember it going STRAIGHT downhill after they introduce the Didact. It had potential, of course, I was liking it up until then, but then it went the route where it ended the game by killing the antagonist... with  a QTE.

I would've liked more exploration of the concept of a Gravemind, or a better Forerunner villain (this one just seemed overly comic booky - old, cheesy comic booky)

And the ending made next to no sense. I say 'next to no sense', because you can understand it, but it's just incredibly silly reasoning that makes it feel incredibly contrived. And I won't even mention the turning Master Chief into a half-elf super warrior with an immunity TO THE VERY WEAPON HE MUST FIGHT WHAT A COINCIDENCE

The half-elf part was a joke on making him part forerunner; it's just a common trope among mediocre and worse writers.

#867 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:51 AM

Crazy.... I'm reading some crazy things here.  Not saying which bits are crazy but the bits that are crazy are definitely crazy.

#868 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:04 PM

As someone working on a point and click game (granted it has puzzle/platformer segments), I find that the rule about game needing to be gameplay > graphics needs some exceptions. No one plays horror games, text adventure games (in this case, graphics being the detailed descriptions of the room you are currently in), visual novels, adventure games, point and click games, puzzle games, boardgame-esque (anything from Fire Emblem to a variation of Chess), games like Gone Home, city simulators, heck, even tower defense games expecting the gameplay to take dominance over the graphics. Could you imagine someone playing Variant Hearts saying "Bleep this game, their isn't enough action"? I know what your thinking: 80% of those game genres are outdated, and I agree. The point is, it wouldn't hurt you guys to more open to games that aren't made for their gameplay because just like graphic, gameplay isn't everything.

r7sNbRa.png  (Nitemare38 = Otyugra)

Two and a half years of game development taught me the joy of making something unique and unconventional. It is not good enough to make a game fun when there are way too many other freeware games that make fun their selling point.

#869 Lotias

Lotias

The Tree

• GMC Member
  • 1331 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

I think you're forgetting the point of a video game, Nitemare. Video game.

The gameplay of Fire Emblem is great; half of your examples make zero sense, because they're absolutely a game series that is about gameplay.

In the case of things like Gone Home, what's even the point of it being a video game? You could make it a simple short movie, or a piece of art, and it would get across the same exact message without feeling any different to the viewer. And remember when puzzle games and boardgame-esque and point & click & adventure games & visual novels were outdated, which is exactly why they're still undoubtedly popular? Oh, wait.

I think your concept of gameplay is a little skewed; do you think real-time action is the only type of 'real' gameplay, or something?

Could you imagine someone playing Variant Hearts saying "Bleep this game, their isn't enough action"?

That wouldn't be an expression of "this game has no focus on gameplay", that would be an expression of "this game focuses on a gameplay style that I don't enjoy," and is therefor irrelevant.

#870 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

I think your concept of gameplay is a little skewed; do you think real-time action is the only type of 'real' gameplay, or something?

You have this backwards. I don't feel that gameplay should be only considered filled with real-time-action. The reason I even posted here was because the interpretation I got out of the gameplay > graphics annoyance was that: all games that don't put their primary effort into player-intensive gameplay first might as well not exist, and I think we can all agree that is a little silly. Subjectively, I would argue that many video game genres don't have a player-intensive gameplay style but succeed anyways maybe ( and these are just half-baked examples) having a surprisingly good story or atmosphere in such a way that only an interactive medium can bring, or by having a little bit of input from the player go a long way (in tower defense games, you just place down towers and upgrade them, that's it), etc.

I also honestly don't think graphics are more important than gameplay but that is no reason to strongly suggest to naive game developers to not make video games in any other way just because it doesn't fit a person's preference. No offence to anyone, but I feel like there are already enough games on this forum that collectively focus solely on real time action gameplay and noticeably lack in all categories other than that, especially in game jams but you only get 72 hours so it isn't a big deal.

Edited by Nitemare38, 25 September 2014 - 07:12 PM.

Two and a half years of game development taught me the joy of making something unique and unconventional. It is not good enough to make a game fun when there are way too many other freeware games that make fun their selling point.

#871 Lotias

Lotias

The Tree

• GMC Member
  • 1331 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

all games that don't put their primary effort into player-intensive gameplay first might as well not exist, and I think we can all agree that is a little silly.

No

I don't agree that it's silly

real time action gameplay

It's the easiest kind of gameplay to make; otherwise you'd see tons of turn-based games. And it's not like a lot of the people here can afford good music, art, or writing.

I would argue that many video game genres don't have a player-intensive gameplay style but succeed anyways maybe ( and these are just half-baked examples) having a surprisingly good story or atmosphere in such a way that only an interactive medium can bring, or by having a little bit of input from the player go a long way (in tower defense games, you just place down towers and upgrade them, that's it), etc.

I would argue that it's not as simple as placing down towers; you have to strategize placement, figure out where upgrades are best needed, and sometimes you can even change the field of battle during a wave of enemies via placing down traps. (As much as I hate Bloons, that's a good design choice)

I would argue that many video game genres don't have a player-intensive gameplay style but succeed anyways maybe

You know where they don't succeed? Take a wild guess. Games without gameplay to back everything else up tend to be forgotten with the rest, because they simply weren't fun to play. A lot of AAA games succumb to this problem, and even more indie games.

No matter how good a game's story or atmosphere are, I can't bring myself to keep playing if it just plain isn't fun.

This is especially true for a game whose visual style and story I absolutely love; Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity.

The gameplay is a major step down from the previous titles in the series, so guess what? It's considered terrible, despite the excellent music, graphical style, and well written story.

Again, you're forgetting why people play video games.

#872 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:33 PM

Haha, what ever you say pal.  :thumbsup:

I'm really not in the mode for a petty argument so I'm going to just let you win this one.

Now if you excuse me, I'll be reading a 1,100 page book about "why people play video games," so maybe, just maybe, I can understand it as well as you.

:thumbsup:      :thumbsup:         :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:       :thumbsup:          :thumbsup:

#873 Lotias

Lotias

The Tree

• GMC Member
  • 1331 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:41 PM

Haha, what ever you say pal.
I'm really not in the mode for a petty argument so I'm going to just let you win this one.

This happens every time I bring actual facts out. It's not an argument, it's civil discussion. If you don't feel that you want to civilly discuss things, then fine, just don't call this an argument.

Now if you excuse me, I'll be reading a 1,100 page book about "why people play video games," so maybe, just maybe, I can understand it as well as you.

Always a remember a book will not tell you everything; it is better to study the market directly, and see how gamers think, play, and so on.

Here's an excellent speech on the concept of gameplay by a developer named Blow:

"I have a concern here," said Blow. "My concern is that games designers of today lack discernment when we think about whether games are good or bad. If players play it and report they’re having fun, we say, 'hey that’s a good game.' If not, we say, 'they don’t understand it.'"

Concluded Blow, "We don’t look at why they want to play. We have tools to keep players playing our game, but most fall into one category – scheduled rewards."

Some examples of these "scheduled rewards" are collectibles, unlockables, achievements or advancing the story -- the player wants to beat the boss monster so they can see what happens to Joe when he walks through the next door.

"Sometimes we take this really far," Blow noted. "MMOs are notorious for having relatively empty gameplay, but keeping players hooked with constant fake rewards – this creates 'the treadmill.' Rewards are a way of lying to the player so they feel good and continue to play the game." He noted some extreme examples of this, such as reported incidents of Chinese or Korean MMO players dying at the computer.

He continued, "As long as players are hooked, it doesn’t matter how good the core gameplay is. As long as they want to get the nicer sword, they’ll still play the game, and as long as they play it’s all the same to us as designers – I’m sure at this point, people think I’m needlessly babbling on about this point. But I want to put forth this question – would they still play a game if it took out all the scheduled rewards?"

"I’m not saying that that wouldn’t damage a game," added Blow. "It would damage almost any game. But if you strip it and just have the gameplay, does it fall below a certain threshold, is it still something people would want to play? We need to build that kind of discernment about the quality of play."

He clarified, "I’m not saying [rewards are] bad, I’m saying you can divide them into two categories – some are like foods that are naturally beneficial and can increase your life, but some are like drugs."

Continued Blow, "As game designers, we don’t know how to make food, so we resort to drugs all the time. It shows in the discontent at the state of games – Radosh wanted food, but Halo 3 was just giving him cheap drugs."

"The game industry is chasing bigger player base, and we’re exploiting them in an unethical way," Blow asserted. "We don’t see it as unethical because we refuse to stop and think about the magnitude of what we are doing. You can smoke, have fast food, and play World of Warcraft sometimes – when you talk about these things at a societal level, it becomes a societal problem."

"The thing I want to get at is – I’m not trying to blame players here – what I am saying is, if you’re the CEO of McDonald's, you should not feel good about your job, you should feel ashamed. We don’t have that in the games business -- we don’t have that sense, because we feel like they’re 'just entertainment.' We don’t feel like we can do things we can be ashamed of yet," he added.

Blow believes that according to WoW, the game's rules are its meaning of life. "The meaning of life in WoW is you’re some schmo that doesn’t have anything better to do than sit around pressing a button and killing imaginary monsters," he explained. "It doesn’t matter if you’re smart or how adept you are, it’s just how much time you sink in. You don’t need to do anything exceptional, you just need to run the treadmill like everyone else."

"You don’t come away from WoW with that in your head, but that comes through subtly and subconsciously," Blow added. "It’s like advertising and brand identity. People identify with their activities – same thing with games, people are products of their origins and their environments. We’re giving them these environments and helping to determine what they’re going to be."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Some people may say this doesn't apply to gameplay vs. graphics, but it does, it perfectly does. Graphics and story are unsatisfying 'drugs', where video games are concerned. It's not good for the overall experience to focus on either, elsewise it becomes a McDonald's meal quality.

#874 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:40 PM

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity.

The gameplay is a major step down from the previous titles in the series,

It's possible to step even further down?! I don't want to know how bad that game is.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#875 Lotias

Lotias

The Tree

• GMC Member
  • 1331 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:45 PM

Haha, well, the series isn't exactly known for the greatest gameplay, but it's bearable enough, and sometimes actually fun.

It's my guilty pleasure, mostly because of their music and story. Not a popular opinion, though.

Gates to Infinity's problem is that everything was over-simplified, and you couldn't do things like take multiple missions. It even got rid of the hunger mechanic and gummis. There were improvements in other areas, but it just removed a lot of variety/challenge from the gameplay. Plus, there were less types of missions you could take, I believe. No more escort challenges.

It's hard to make a good roguelike, I guess.

#876 RENGAC

RENGAC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

I don't know if it's already posted, but one thing that I see in a lot of games that is very annoying is the inconsistency in the controls scheme. I explain myself. If your game is played with the keyboard, please, let the user navigate menus with the keyboard. If your game uses a mouse, allow the player to select menus whit the mouse. Don't oblige the player to change between keyboard and the mouse without a good reason!  :wallbash:

bannerCSB2_SMALL.jpg

#877 Amberstone

Amberstone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:18 AM

The thing I hete when developing games is making a same thing over and over again, I mean look there is Candy Crush saga then same is Frozen free fall and same is Maleficant free fall and now Candy Crush Cola saga,is this a joke?

I don't like it, we should put effort and at least make different variety of games even if they are from the same category. Like how Subway surfer is Different from Temple run despite having the same goal.

Coder Blitz

ezgif.com-resize_zpsbo5krr37.gif39443.png

en_generic_rgb_wo_60.png

#878 obscene

obscene

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3171 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:18 PM

The people making that crap are dead inside.

#879 Amberstone

Amberstone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:56 PM

The people making that crap are dead inside.

True said, literally even if you want to leech the player atleast make it worth the money.

'Soda Saga!'.

Coder Blitz

ezgif.com-resize_zpsbo5krr37.gif39443.png

en_generic_rgb_wo_60.png

#880 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:57 PM

6:  Switching Skills while meeting fierce enemies can give you unexpected results!

Is this encouraging or warning the player for those results? :P

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Spoiler

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#881 cybereda

cybereda

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:28 PM

Wow i feel too old to see a post was made back in 2003 ..is the post writer still alive ? :P

just a random quote : Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

#882 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:32 PM

Who cares, this topic is timeless... and stickied. It'll never be forgotten :P

Spoiler

#883 Kahuna

Kahuna

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:03 AM

This thread should be called "Checklist for polishing your game."

just saying.

I like to give helpful feedback on lonely posts that haven't got any responses.

#884 CrazyGuyGames

CrazyGuyGames

YYGF Member

• GMC Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:34 PM

Polishing is fixing/making better after you've made it, this list is here to avoid making something bad to begin with and having to scrap it later.

AZGIWjf.png

aSzDlXB.png

#885 Kahuna

Kahuna

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:25 AM

I thought making something bad was the prequisite for learning to make something good?

1. 'Good enough' + 'Done now' is better than 'Perfect' + 'Never done'

2. Make it better once you are done

3. Repeat.

Edited by Kahuna, 25 May 2015 - 02:26 AM.

I like to give helpful feedback on lonely posts that haven't got any responses.

#886 CrazyGuyGames

CrazyGuyGames

YYGF Member

• GMC Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:09 AM

You can learn from the mistakes of others, however if you want to go and make the same mistakes even if you have been warned not to go ahead too, it's part of the human experience to also want to do so.

AZGIWjf.png

aSzDlXB.png

#887 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:47 PM

I'm not sure if this belongs here but: I feel like we should discourage fan games that use another game company's property for these four reasons:

1. It brings that game unearned attention because of the game series' reputation
  2. It is completely illegal (in the United States at least)
  3. It violates the Game Maker: Studio EULA ("3.4. You agree to ensure that: you have the right to use all Intellectual Property Rights in the Stand-alone Applications; the Stand-alone Applications do not and will not infringe any third party rights;"), and doing so anyway technically voids the maker's GM:S license. (as quoted by TsukaYuriko)
  4. On occasion, it will lead to a Cease and Desist letter being sent to that person (followed by a law suit if that person doesn't comply).

#888 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:28 PM

Is this like, the oldest topic on the GMC?

During the development of Homestead I've grown to dislike a few things that I used to do all of the time.

-Not showing what the controls are!

Why would you do that past me? How the hell are people supposed to play your damn game?

-Basic Shapes as art+characters in game

Seriously? Unless you are filling a theme, this is just lazy. I am absolutely guilty of this too!

-No menus

Um, just why? You at least need a main menu! It instantly adds appeal to the game, and makes it a tad more professional!

-No Music

This one, I fully understand! Music is hard, especially if you don't have a clue what Music Theory is! But I found out, that there is a lot of CC-0 licensed music, or Attribution stuff floating around out there! (Thanks to NinetyB, I don't have to worry about that presently though.)

-OMG, calling your art pixel art

While technically true, this refers to when they call it "8-bit" and "16-bit" when it's not. I got Carnivac on my side here! (and a slew of others)

I'm no pixel artist, but come on!

Edited by LukanSpellweaver, 29 June 2015 - 07:42 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#889 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:04 PM

-OMG, calling your art pixel art

While technically true, this refers to when they call it "8-bit" and "16-bit" when it's not. I got Carnivac on my side here! (and a slew of others)

I'm no pixel artist, but come on!

Then what is the proper name to call it? 

#890 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:12 AM

Just call it pixelart. Very very few games are truly 8 or 16-bit, but pixelart is a style of its own. It doesn't have to conform to SNES limitations, just don't pretend that it does conform to SNES limitations and then do a shoddy job of it.

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#891 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:41 AM

I'd say most games that wrongfully claim they are pixel art fail on the 'art' bit, not the 'pixel' bit :whistle:

Spoiler

#892 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:18 PM

I'd say most games that wrongfully claim they are pixel art fail on the 'art' bit, not the 'pixel' bit :whistle:

This.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#893 Xanarian

Xanarian

GMC Member

• 16 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 22 October 2015 - 06:06 PM

Luck-based gameplay. Unless it's the point of the game (something like slots?), having luck-based AI is annoying and frustrating. Random AI behavior will ruin your progress if they decide to randomly shoot the projectiles in a way that is impossible to dodge.

I personally dislike the inability to change the controls, especially ones that use letter keys. I mean, not everyone uses the same layout, I'm one of those who doesn't. Even if the player uses the same layout they still may not like the default control scheme anyway.

As mentioned above having mouse controls for menus and keyboard for gameplay is just inconsistent and unprofessional. The fact that mouse menus are easier to make feels very noobish compared to complex keyboard navigation menus.

And speaking of inconsistency, there's the art-style. If you're playing as an 8-bit-ish sprite and suddenly you encounter a digitized actor enemy, then that's ugly. Even worse if everything are sprites ripped from several sources of random generations of consoles.

I'm not a fan of fan-games using content from other companies too, it's very unoriginal. Sadly, I still had to make them because no one cares about original stuff IF I don't make something that gets their attention, and I hate that.

And yes, I know necro-posting isn't allowed but the rules didn't say anything about pinned topics...

Yes I know I'm a noob to the GMC, but I've at least been using Game Maker since 2010. :P

I'm still using GM 8.0 though...

#894 SnoutUp

SnoutUp

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:34 PM

This might sound like a nitpick, but I am annoyed by lifeless (1-2 fame) jump animations. This little detail can push your little platformer to the next level, making core mechanic feel way way better. Yet, lazy artist/dev decided that one image looks good enough. Not it doesn't. Give that jump some life, wiggle ears, hands, legs, change the image_angle.

Rs0rvCv.png
MXpXpB5.pngaYps7Jx.png

#895 sone

sone

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:52 PM

When people make many gm games making the community look scummy like rpg maker ect

#896 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:01 PM

When people make many gm games making the community look scummy like rpg maker ect

So when people put low effort into their games and mass produce games, or just games that give this place and the software a bad reputation?

#897 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:16 PM

I just realized that I don't think I've ever posted here. 13 years and the list is still relevant!

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#898 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:50 PM

Ugh, games made with GameMaker, those annoy the hell out of me.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#899 Squarebit

Squarebit

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 234 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:34 AM

Especially the ones about farms and stuff :-)

OjJP6YH.png

@sqrbt 

#900 April7890

April7890

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:23 PM

Nice :-). I will prefer to copy these lines, as these may be useful for my development process.