Photo

Has Game Maker Led You To Different Languages?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 IceRocketGaming2

IceRocketGaming2

GMC Member

• 121 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:19 PM

Game Maker for me was a good learning curve of learning programming to go to different programming languages. I still miss the easyness of GM!

Anyway, I was wondering if it helped anyone else out?

I think it even helped with C++... :blink:

#2 IsmAvatar

IsmAvatar

Good Samaritan

• GMC Member
  • 2411 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 02 December 2005 - 05:14 PM

I started out on QBasic. I started making ascii games in it, and then finally found GM. I learned GM from front to back, and must say it's a very wonderful program. So wonderful, that I've even started making some apps for it, as well as figuring out how to port it to Linux so I can modify games on my normal OS.

GM led me to Pascal. From pascal, I then started making DLL's for GM and various other programs for GM.
Now I'm learning Java, and I must say it's much easier to understand how object oriented stuff and inheritence works now because of my background in GM.

#3 Cynical

Cynical

Inside the Cynic

• 423 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:51 PM

GML led me to C++, which I haven't really worked with for several months now. It has also led me to PHP, which is extremely similar to GML.

#4 CPS

CPS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:44 PM

I know of many languages but GM didn't really lead me towards them :blink:

Anthony who is at ACP knows of alot and he sometimes disscuses them here.

http://s7.invisionfr...hp?showforum=27

*Shameless Plug* ...Sorry.... :wacko:

#5 JJProductions

JJProductions

Agamma Corpus

• 2211 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:36 PM

Hah yes.

http://forums.gamema...howtopic=174699

#6 GStick

GStick

All Secrets Exposed

• GMC Member
  • 1852 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 December 2005 - 12:46 AM

Yes, C++ and Visual Basic. C++ is a lot more similar to GM than Visual Basic, but function names and behaviors seem more similar in Visual Basic. I haven't worked with C++ in a long time though.

-GStick

#7 ShadowStrike32

ShadowStrike32

mr. sarcasm

• 460 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:13 AM

nah i knew cpp before i started gamemaker. at the time, i actually liked cpp better because i knew how to define variables and functions and objects within it.
cpp actually led me to gml, but i still like cpp better.

and php is a whole different story... for some reason javascript actually hlped me understand the syntax there...

#8 Splinter

Splinter

GMC Member

• 730 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:56 AM

Actually Gml is my most recent Language ive had expieriences with several languages before.

Lets see
The coding language for C&C renegade was my first sorta step into that, lol all done in notepad then named cnc_c130_drop i think. Really stupid language.

Then my mom got VB and i worked on that a little, i diddnt like VB though.

Then i gave actionscrit(flash) a shot, really diddnt like it, and usually just had to easter egg games together.

After actionscript i tried to find a better program, and i just searched gamemaker programs and TAH-DAH!

#9 AlcanderX

AlcanderX

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:21 AM

I've known C and C++ for a while, before I even found Gamemaker. Though Gamemaker has lead me towards more console programming for GBA and GBDS which is done in C still.

#10 TBOL3

TBOL3

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:25 AM

I started with basic, to hard, no enouph good product, I need a game maker...

So I found Game Maker, wich led me to flash, which led me back to game maker, also HTML, and Javascript with a touch of Java , wich led me back to basic, wich led me C, wich led me to C++(really hard still)

#11 moonlightembrace

moonlightembrace

GMC Member

• 58 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:23 AM

We had not speak about this subject.... soon GM will be known as a "gateway" language and therefore made illegal.

But really, GM has not helped me learn any other languages. That's only because I came in with Php experience beforehand.

-ME

#12 TBOL3

TBOL3

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:25 AM

What is a gateway languige?

#13 moonlightembrace

moonlightembrace

GMC Member

• 58 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:58 AM

What is a gateway languige?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When a practice or act is considered a "gateway", it is said to naturally lead to other, more extreme acts. Usually, the term "gateway" is usually used by holier-than-thou kinds of people to describe acts they are against. For example: eating cookies will addict you and therefore lead you to eating large amounts of sugar; speeding five miles above the speed limit will lead you to underground racing; etc, etc.

This kind of thinking, is, of course faulty, and I was making a joke.

-ME

Edited by moonlightembrace, 03 December 2005 - 06:07 AM.

#14 gmXpert2000

gmXpert2000

SoulRed12

• GMC Member
  • 1976 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:12 AM

I started out working with GM for a LONG time, and then I decided to try DarkBASIC. DarkBASIC was much easier than it would have been otherwise because of the coding skills that I learned using game maker. I still use game maker all the time, though.

#15 yahn

yahn

GMC Member

• 331 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:54 PM

GML led me to PHP, and then later to C++. I really think it was helpful, because all three of them use the same syntax. I'm pretty sure its called common syntax, but thats really not important.

#16 Gamemaker Wannabe

Gamemaker Wannabe

GMC Member

• 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:47 PM

GML led me to PHP, and then later to C++.  I really think it was helpful, because all three of them use the same syntax.  I'm pretty sure its called common syntax, but thats really not important.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was led here from the well known languages C++, Delphi.
Since (Borland) Turbo Pascal was my thing in the 90's it seemed obvious to start Delphi.

Only, I got sick and tired of starting things from scratch since support for graphics was rare and sometimes nearly impossible in those days. And then there was no support at all if you wanted to add music to your game!

GM seems a nice choice if you don't want to do all the grunge work yourself, like DirectX programming. Don't know why microsoft calls it "directx" anyway. Since stuff that microsoft creates doesn't do things DIRECT in anyway whatsoever! Except that you always need to upgrade your system directly if you want to actually use microSTUFF. :(

#17 rpgfreak2004

rpgfreak2004

GMC Member

• 282 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:19 PM

GM has lead me to C++,Pascal and DarkBasic, which i all give up lol
it has lead me to Visual Basic though, and now I use C#, which i will stick to probably.

#18 aldre

aldre

GMC Member

• 85 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:28 PM

Me, its the other way around. Visual basc,basic, perl, php, html, javascript all helped me with gm. What I am learning now is c and c++.

#19 NJCatch22

NJCatch22

Washed up!

• 253 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:09 AM

Game maker's drag & drop (not GML) lead me to C++. (Damn it was a pain)

And C++ isn't that much hard once you know the basic. You just need to compile your code as often as possible, use DevCpp with all thoses easy to install libraries and you're all set.

GM seems a nice choice if you don't want to do all the grunge work yourself, like DirectX programming. Don't know why microsoft calls it "directx" anyway. Since stuff that microsoft creates doesn't do things DIRECT in anyway whatsoever! Except that you always need to upgrade your system directly if you want to actually use microSTUFF.

Bah Game maker still needs windows and DirectX to run, right?

And DirectX is low level which directly say to the graphical & sound cards what to do when you want to see an image and play a sound. Game maker is of higher level which rely on DirectX to do all the low level stuff.

GML led me to PHP, and then later to C++. I really think it was helpful, because all three of them use the same syntax. I'm pretty sure its called common syntax, but thats really not important.

I don't really consider GM led me to PHP because it's mainly for web apps (local PHP applications sucks). However, it did led me to C++ and C#.

#20 Herky Inc.

Herky Inc.

GMC Member

• 376 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:24 AM

I started with html (if you can even call that programming). Then I learned GML. Then a little visual basic, but that got boring so I went on to C++. C++ is really hard though so I kinda quit that for a while. I learned a little php and java. Currently I've been making games on my TI-84+ calculator in school when things get boring :D .

Edited by Herky Inc., 09 December 2005 - 01:25 AM.

#21 Tyrant

Tyrant

Tyrant, King of Hell

• 249 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:12 AM

I started with PHP, then Basic, then GM, then C, then C++, and finally stopped at the golden languange: Assembly :D

GM prepares you for harder stuff like C and C++. And even a LITTLE for asm.

#22 Agamer

Agamer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

I started with Visual Basic 6.0 (I only knew really basic stuff; I was around 9 or 10 years old); and then I was introduced to game maker 4. I worked with that for some time, and then went to Game Maker 6.0, and used that for quite awhile (I really expanded my knowledge of geometry and trig at that time!). Eventually I got GM8.0 and used that since, but now I'm just starting to use GM8.1. However, when I was using GM6.0 I decided to pick up on C, and after that I learned a bit of C++. Now I'm actually learning Java, but if I hadn't started with Game maker I probably would have had a much more difficult time learning Java or C++.

#23 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1465 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

Nope!

Chuck Testa

I'm sticking with GM for the long run Posted Image

Edited by Cakefish, 12 January 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#24 theALCH3MIST

theALCH3MIST

GMC Member

• 92 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:00 AM

I started off with VB 6, and stuck with that until I was good enough to write encryption programs. Then I switched: Pascal, Ruby [for RMXP], RPGCode [took about one week to pick that up]. GM has been kind of a stable point for me. I'm learning Python at the moment, and I have plans for C# and Java, but I'll be working with GML for quite some time.

#25 TamoNekiTipo

TamoNekiTipo

Centurion

• Banned Users
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

And Helped?

Hell yea!

In fact, if I haven't found Game Maker, I probably wouldn't be interested much in computers,
and I wouldn't have go into computer's high school.
Game Maker actually potentiate me to go into the world of computers.

I can't imagine what my life would be with it existing.
(btw, I currently know (and learning) BASIC, VB, Pascal, and C++ (I'll do Java later))

#26 PivotGamer84

PivotGamer84

GMC Member

• 170 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:31 AM

GML among other things led me into programming in Java. Unfortunately at my school, we are learning this ridiculously dumbed-down limited Java-esque language/program called Alice. The only thing I find cool is the simplicity to get a 3D world up and running, other than that I hate it. Anything I can make in Alice, I can make in GM 100x faster. I made 3D pong with horrible collision detection for a project in Alice, then I remade it in GM within 10 minutes. Guess which one was easier and more efficient? GM.

Out of any language though, I prefer Java. It's simple, flexible, and stable. Granted, it might not be as secure as C++ or Assembly, but it is portable among Operating Systems.

#27 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

I started with Visual Basic 6.0 (I only knew really basic stuff; I was around 9 or 10 years old); and then I was introduced to game maker 4. I worked with that for some time, and then went to Game Maker 6.0, and used that for quite awhile (I really expanded my knowledge of geometry and trig at that time!). Eventually I got GM8.0 and used that since, but now I'm just starting to use GM8.1. However, when I was using GM6.0 I decided to pick up on C, and after that I learned a bit of C++. Now I'm actually learning Java, but if I hadn't started with Game maker I probably would have had a much more difficult time learning Java or C++.

Posted Image

Unfortunately at my school, we are learning this ridiculously dumbed-down limited Java-esque language/program called Alice. The only thing I find cool is the simplicity to get a 3D world up and running, other than that I hate it. Anything I can make in Alice, I can make in GM 100x faster. I made 3D pong with horrible collision detection for a project in Alice, then I remade it in GM within 10 minutes. Guess which one was easier and more efficient? GM.

Heh, think you've got it bad? Look what we've got to use.

EDIT: Oh, most of the stuff on that link is down, see here instead.

Edited by theg721, 14 January 2012 - 12:30 PM.

#28 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6792 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

With me, it's been the opposite: GameMaker led me away from other languages (at least for making games).

I've used many languages over the years -- even made some games. But when I discovered GameMaker... I was hooked.

#29 ThatSnail

ThatSnail

That Guy

• GMC Member
  • 1036 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

--holy necropost batman image--

Oh man you're right. This topic is from 2005...

To add to the topic, though, best transition ever is GM to Flash/AS3, especially with the rise of FlashPunk and Flixel. Same event structure, and all (if you're using FlashPunk or Flixel, that is). So whoever's interested in leaving Game Maker, go there.

Also trying out C# with XNA and C++ but not really because of GML but those are nice too.

#30 chaz13

chaz13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4144 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

I found going to C# fairly trivial after using gm for years, but in some ways it may have complicated things by doing a bit too much for the user.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users