The Civil War Rts - Now Os

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#1 Qwertyman

Qwertyman

C&D Games

• 1178 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:19 AM

UPDATE: I found my USB key up against the baseboard under my bed :huh: . Anyway, I was rebuilding the game engine, and this is the updated, slightly more efficient source. In addition, there is a more robust cannon engine. I'm releasing this source as-is, but if you have any questions, feel free to post them. Do what you wish with it! If you do use a part of the engine, be sure to put a line of thanks in your game info.

Download the source here

-------------------------------------

Some of you might remember Antietam, an RTS I made for school last year. Well, I thought I might like to complete it.

Cloak and Dagger Games, in collaboration with xlilwill5x, proudly presents:

THE CIVIL WAR, a battlefied tactics RTS

File size: 2.9 MB
File type: .zip/.exe
Changes Screen Resolution: No
Version GM Used: v 6.1, reg

This is an RTS that will recreate many of the historic battles of the Civil War. Its main engine doesn't revolve around unit upgrades and building construction (this IS the Civil War); rather, you must utilize successful battlefield tactics to defeat your opponent.

Basic controls are:
Left Click to select units
1, 2, and 3 to select movement option (1=Go to point, 2=form line, 3=March)
Ctrl to see unit's range
Shift to select multiple units
Q to retreat
O and P jump to previous and next levels, respectively
B, N, and M adjust options in the options menu

Blue Squares represent high ground

You can hit F1 during gameplay to bring up the game information console.

New screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Right now a lot of the GUI's are not user-friendly, but I will change this later.

This game is very comp hungry! Some suggestions on speeding up the gameplay:

1) Exit out of any other programs before running The Civil War RTS
2) Run the game in full screen mode
3) Change the graphics options in the options menu

You can download demo 7 here:
The Civil War RTS

Mirrors:
Civil War RTS Mirror 1 (.zip)
Civil War RTS Mirror 2 (.zip)

Forgot to include the text files with the download. Sorry! You can grab them here:
http://www.uploadtem.../1154350163.txt
http://www.uploadtem.../1154350207.txt

You need both files. Just make sure to save them in the game directory.

Please posts any criticisms or suggestions you might have.

Thank you,
Brian Dolhansky

Edited by Qwertyman, 27 March 2008 - 06:47 PM.

#2 xxdemzxx

xxdemzxx

GMC Member

• 863 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:33 AM

Posted Image

#3 cyberdudequestor

cyberdudequestor

GMC Member

• 378 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:59 AM

Massive battles are fun to watch, so you need to continue this. You should find a way to make it more interesting. Powerups are always the simplest quality booster. Think of something original to add or make creative powerups.

#4 BBaller

BBaller

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 820 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:03 AM

I think you have a good basic engine down, and it can only improve with time. I think you should be able to select one unit at a time, and the rectangle should be drawn above the unit sprites. Let me know if you need some help with graphics, as the grass tile can be improved. Another suggestion is to show a little HUD arrow indicator on the side that you are scrolling on.

I think if you make this as historically accurate as possible and include details on each actual battle, it will be really great. After the player wins a battle, you might want to show some info on how the battle actually played out in real life, as in what tactics were used (if possible). I like RTS games, and I hope you keep working on this.

k1eyl3.jpg

#5 Qwertyman

Qwertyman

C&D Games

• 1178 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:09 AM

Sure, BBaller, I'll accept your graphical know-how. Just pm me with details, and we can work something out.

About the individual unit selection, I tried just putting this code in both the left pressed and left button events:
selected=true

But the unit would only stay selected for as long as the mouse button was depressed. I'm not sure how to solve this, but I'll work on it.

About the historical accuarcy: In the original RTS I made, I scanned in several maps from my history book to show the actual battle. This gave the user a general idea of what tactics they might want to use. I'm trying to simulate as close as possible a real Civil War battle, so if any one has any additional historical know-how to share, please do.

#6 agent1786

agent1786

GMC Member

• 44 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:27 AM

suggestion: slow down the instance speed... it seems a little too quick - given the fact that if these are "real" soldiers, they need to be a little slower to compensate for the amount of gear they are holding.

also, maybe make units become even slower depending on their health... the lower the health - the slower they are...

#7 Qwertyman

Qwertyman

C&D Games

• 1178 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:32 AM

Ok, good suggestion agent! I'll factor that in.

#8 Zarthas

Zarthas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 845 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:38 AM

Pretty neat, It didn't lag near as much as the Antietam engine did. But you must make bayonette charges! And don't make them fire so fast... they're early rifles after all. But I guess we don't want to wait two minutes for them to reload >_> But yeah, you could make them fire a little slower. And while you're at it...perhaps give them a chance to miss? Going over the enemy's head and stuff. You may not want to be this techincal though :P

Also, everyone loves cavalry. :huh:

edits:
Hey, I found this about the southern cavalry:

The rebels favorite weapon was a sawed-off shotgun loaded with buckshot, a formidable weapon throughout the war.

Would be really cool ::lmao:: I've read that the northern cavalry mostly used sabers and carbines.

Edited by Zarthas, 20 October 2005 - 01:51 AM.

#9 Qwertyman

Qwertyman

C&D Games

• 1178 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:51 AM

Yea, I never thought of calvary... that would be pretty sweet. This is an unintended result, but sometimes the units miss if the unit they are firing at is moving... But I could put in some code to make them miss intentionally.

#10 Zarthas

Zarthas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 845 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:54 AM

Cavalry rule, and could you make them run by and slash, then run off, turn around, and come back and slash again? It would look awesome :huh:

#11 sn0wb0arder381

sn0wb0arder381

GMC Member

• 1153 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:54 AM

Nice WIP. It still needs work though. It is WAY too hard. I cant even come close to beating it. Also the snipers should be able to be caught after a few shots not being noticed.

#12 candc32

candc32

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:57 AM

how are you suposed to download?
GM wips:
my name is c and c 32 please don't confuse it.
need to find your LAN IP, and not your external one? click here
:GM7: für immer

#13 Qwertyman

Qwertyman

C&D Games

• 1178 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:03 AM

Good point, Snow. I don't think soldiers would stand around getting shot. Maybe I should make soldiers scatter if they are shot at by a sniper, and if one finds the sniper, they could all rush to it. That would be some interesting group AI.

And candc32, just click on link, then click download.

Edited by qwertyman, 20 October 2005 - 02:04 AM.

#14 candc32

candc32

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:06 AM

it only refreshes it
GM wips:

#15 {ELEMENT}Thunder

{ELEMENT}Thunder

GMC Member

• 61 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:06 AM

its good

#16 Qwertyman

Qwertyman

C&D Games

• 1178 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:08 AM

Candc32, enter this into your browser:

http://www.upshack.c...hp?f=200510/The Civil War.zip&hs=10f63d07cec672992cd8ea3caf9fef18

and

its good

thanks!

EDIT: Ok candc32, that doesn't work. Just click on the link, then click Download 200510.

Ah, the error I was talking about showed up when xxdemzxx was playing it. I don't really know how this is occuring, because I don't know why the object is still executing actions even when it is destroyed. If it's still alive and performing alarm actions, shouldn't it also recognize its own x?

Edited by qwertyman, 20 October 2005 - 02:10 AM.

#17 sn0wb0arder381

sn0wb0arder381

GMC Member

• 1153 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:08 PM

Massive battles are fun to watch, so you need to continue this.  You should find a way to make it more interesting.  Powerups are always the simplest quality booster.  Think of something original to add or make creative powerups.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please do not add powerups.... This game has a TON of pontential. I believe powerups would destry the reality of this game(i like war games that are believable)

#18 Zarthas

Zarthas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 845 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:34 PM

Ah, that bug came up. You realise it could be talking about nearconfed.x don't you? Have a check to make sure that nearconfded exists just before that statement.

#19 Cdaghostie

Cdaghostie

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:35 PM

1. you say ur having a few problems
check my lib out its not done but i plan for a really nice update to make it run a heck of lot faster this weekend
2.looks nice can't dl it for some reason host it with another server like rocketsoft
3.suggestions:
possibly height abilites.

laying down- slower
45% less chance of being hit
90% accuracy
50% less damage

standing- fast
30% less chance being hit

#20 buji_ryu

buji_ryu

GMC Member

• 324 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 11:57 PM

nice i likey the start, yea theres an error though when you lose, I never did win :D anywho, you should make it more tatical you pretty much charge ur soliders in and see wat happnes... lol but a nice start

you really are seeing more RTSes these days

#21 sn0wb0arder381

sn0wb0arder381

GMC Member

• 1153 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 01:37 AM

i can win :-)

#22 buji_ryu

buji_ryu

GMC Member

• 324 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 02:04 AM

show off lol

#23 Qwertyman

Qwertyman

C&D Games

• 1178 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 09:53 PM

Yea, if you use tactics, you can beat this little demo... :medieval:

I just use my snipers to take out the regular infantry, then rush the Confederate sharpshooters.

And btw, a new update will be coming out soon....

It will include a new blood particle system and a totally new cannon mechanism!

#24 Qwertyman

Qwertyman

C&D Games

• 1178 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 02:30 PM

UPDATE 0.02

Whats new:

1.) All new cannon mechanism. Now you have control over your cannons. You decide where to move them, what ammo you use, and when to fire. Basically, you need three heavy weapons officers to operate the cannon (theyre the guys with the little circles on their heads). Without them, your cannon is a sitting target. You can move the cannon by clicking on the "Move" button, and right clicking in a new location. However, your cannon must be set up by clicking the "Set" button in order to fire. If you click ammo, the ammo type changes from solid shot to grape shot. When you click fire, the cannon fires.

2.) All new blood particle system.

3.) New cursor sprites for scrolling.

4.) An enlarged view.

What I hope to add:

1.) More enemy AI. Right now, you can sit back and fire upon the Confederates with you cannon or sharpshooters, and they don't attack back (unless you're in range.) I will probably add what I call "Scatter and Find" AI. If a nearby comrade is shot by a sniper or cannon, the units will scatter. If one of them happens to find the shooter, they will all attack him.

2.) Cannons that you can steal. Right now, the Confederates shoot the officers off the cannon instead of attacking the cannon itself. I hope to be able to add some AI so that when there is an open cannon, the Confederates will steal it and use it against the Union (just like in the real war). The Union will be able to do the same.

3.) Scenery

4.) A HUD

5.) Historically accurate battles.

With the cannons, a whole new element of strategy arises. My favorite thing to do is set up two cannons facing eachoter, but spread apart. Then I lure the Confederate units in between the cannons, and light them up with grape shot.

If anyone experiences any lag due to the particle system etc., make a note of it. I am thinking of making a detail setting that will make this game easier on older computers.

You can download the new demo here:
http://www.upshack.c...WarUpdate02.zip

Edited by qwertyman, 22 October 2005 - 02:41 PM.

#25 Zarthas

Zarthas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 845 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 02:32 PM

Ummm... I can't select the weapons officers :medieval: Should I be able to?

#26 Qwertyman

Qwertyman

C&D Games

• 1178 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 02:33 PM

Hmm.. lemme check real quick. You should be able to. Oh wait, are they already on the cannons? They are pretty useless when theyre not on the cannons, so right now I don't have anything to take them off.\

Crap... this wasn't happening 10 minutes ago. Hold on for like 5 minutes while I fix this.

EDIT:
THE DEMO IS NOW FIXED - You can download it at any of the above posts.

Man Zarthas, that was a fast reply. What, were you sitting at your computer, waiting for this update to come out :medieval: ?

Edited by qwertyman, 22 October 2005 - 02:43 PM.

#27 Zarthas

Zarthas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 845 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 02:52 PM

....Maybe....

But yeah, it's coo. I massacred everyone with those cannons :medieval: Grape shot seems to be more useful. But, could you make an icon so you can tell what shot they have equipped?

#28 Qwertyman

Qwertyman

C&D Games

• 1178 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 03:23 PM

Yea, that will probably be in the hud.

One more thing I hope to add: calvary. :medieval:

Oh, and I forgot to mention that when you hold Shift, the unit's range is displayed. Right now I'm working on the enemy AI, and hope to have an update out in the next week.

[Posts merged. Use the EDIT button.]

#29 sn0wb0arder381

sn0wb0arder381

GMC Member

• 1153 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 03:54 AM

yay! nice. its easier to win but still needs strategy ;)

#30 mullitt

mullitt

GMC Member

• 85 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 04:53 AM

Nice game, but I think th enemy snipers are too powerful. It makes troop battles not fun, and there's no incentive to use them when you have the cannon.

#31 candc32

candc32

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 05:20 AM

how are you soposed to DL from that site???? ;)
GM wips:

#32 s4b3r6

s4b3r6

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 05:26 AM

can you use the cannons? Coz when i tell 'em to do something they sit there! ;)

And candc32 I dont know why you cant download from there.
Under the words:
This link is live for the next 10 minutes. After that, you'll have to come back and get a link regenerated.

It has a download. (You'll find those words under the title thingy)

Edited by s4b3r6, 23 October 2005 - 05:33 AM.

#33 candc32

candc32

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 06:17 AM

And candc32 I dont know why you cant download from there.
Under the words:
This link is live for the next 10 minutes. After that, you'll have to come back and get a link regenerated.
It has a download. (You'll find those words under the title thingy)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok but when I click on the ckilcky part it just refreshes the page ::lmao:: I want to play this game ;)
GM wips:

#34 BBaller

BBaller

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 820 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 06:44 PM

Ok, cool. Those scrolling arrows are great. You might want to just draw them before the edge of the black border, even if the mouse is further.

k1eyl3.jpg

#35 Qwertyman

Qwertyman

C&D Games

• 1178 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:25 PM

can you use the cannons? Coz when i tell 'em to do something they sit there!

Oh, sure - you just have to click the "Move" button. Then when you want to shoot, you have to line up the cannon, click "Set", then fire.

Ok, cool. Those scrolling arrows are great. You might want to just draw them before the edge of the black border, even if the mouse is further.

Yea, I tried setting the mouse_x and mouse_y to slightly before the border, but then I realized you can't give a value to those variables. I'm using cursor_sprite, but I guess I could change it to a sprite drawn at mouse_x and mouse_y. Then, if the person is scrolling, I can set the sprite's position to the edge.

...but I think th enemy snipers are too powerful. It makes troop battles not fun, and there's no incentive to use them when you have the cannon.

I'm currently working on AI that will rush the cannon if a unit nearby is killed by a cannon or sniper.

Edited by qwertyman, 23 October 2005 - 08:26 PM.

#36 sn0wb0arder381

sn0wb0arder381

GMC Member

• 1153 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:29 PM

I love this game :lol: its simple(kinda) yet fun(definately)

#37 candc32

candc32

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:59 PM

yes I finaly got to play it its a fun game but I cant win or move the cannon
GM wips:

#38 sn0wb0arder381

sn0wb0arder381

GMC Member

• 1153 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 09:02 PM

to move cannon you need three officers manning it.(officers are the guys with the circles on their heads)

#39 candc32

candc32

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 09:04 PM

oh ok
I won!!!(after I found out how to ues the cannon)

Edited by candc32, 23 October 2005 - 09:15 PM.

GM wips:

#40 Qwertyman

Qwertyman

C&D Games

• 1178 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:28 AM

UPDATE 0.03

What's New:

1) A new unit - the Confederate Officer. They're the little guys with one line on their head. They help to hold their troop formations together, and can organize attacks. More below:

2) Some simple AI. Now, if the regular Confederate infantry are shot by a cannon or a sharpshooter, and they are within range of an officer, they will attack the nearest Union unit. Now you can't leave your cannons exposed, because their men will be picked off. If an officer is not nearby, the nearby Confederates scatter like cowards when their comrades are shot by cannon or sharpshooters.

3) Cleaned-up mouse controls.

4) Fixed scrolling arrow sprites.

What I hope to add (still):

1) Scenery. I need a good spriter to give me some grass tiles, trees, rocks etc. Credit will be given!

2) Confederate cannon and Union officers.

3) A HUD. You can see what I have begun in this update.

4) Calvary. I need a spriter for these guys too.

5) Music. I was experimenting with some classical music, and it makes an interesting blend: the refined sounds of classical music with the carnage of battle.

6) And most importantly: real battles!

Right now, though, I am working on finishing the engine. That comes first, because it is probably the most important part.

You can download the mini-update here:

http://www.upshack.c...ilWarDemo03.zip

Edited by qwertyman, 26 October 2005 - 12:29 AM.

#41 toesmice

toesmice

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:11 PM

Nice game. The best Gamemaker RTS I've ever played.

#42 nubz

nubz

GMC Member

• 38 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:01 AM

ya sweet game. god u know i hate it, i've seen so many games with so much going for it and they eaither quiet teh the project, or screw it up(adding thing that make it stupid) adding new pyhsics like hills, cover trees, better unit control(they take a long time to set up, can u make it so they move in a line? have options when u click on the units. like 1 line, 2 line, everyone for themselfs, etc) u've done real good with this game so far. i'm sure u'll make this game really amazing.

#43 Doom Hacker

Doom Hacker

GMC Member

• 394 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 02:26 PM

OK, I like it :)
But damn, it's very slow, you should find ways to increase it's speed.
And i can't really see the difference between unit types, you should make them bigger or change color or something like. I like this engine and i think you should continue it ;)
Good Luck
Posted Image
An oldskool arcade action shooter! Makes you wanna play the old dos games!
Check it out: WIP link

#44 Qwertyman

Qwertyman

C&D Games

• 1178 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:21 PM

Thanks. I think part of the slowdown may be due to particles, and also due in part to the movement script for the AI. It runs pretty well on my comp, but I am going to probably make different detail settings. Oh, and about the line, I was going to do something similar to what you described, nubz.

Oh and Doom Hacker, I played your RTS, and it's pretty frickin' sweet :) .

#45 aragorn007

aragorn007

GMC Member

• 141 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:35 PM

You mean I have to play as a YANKEE!?!?! :) ;) :D You really need to let the player choose sides...Southern boy and PROUD of it! :blink:

#46 Qwertyman

Qwertyman

C&D Games

• 1178 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:40 PM

Ooo, sorry :) . I was actually thinking about making an "expansion pack", or basically a sequel to this game where you fight as the Confederates. But first I want to finish the original game!

Actually, I could make a seperate campaign as well. We'll have to see....

#47 aragorn007

aragorn007

GMC Member

• 141 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:42 PM

Could you let the player choose what side they want to be before they play?

#48 Qwertyman

Qwertyman

C&D Games

• 1178 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:45 PM

Yes, but then I would have to redo a lot of my code (a lot of it involves instance_nearest functions). That's why I was thinking of making a seperate game; it would be easier to keep track of all the units.

Right now all the user controlled characters right now are Union, and all the computer controlled characters are Confederate.

Sorry :).

#49 Radnom

Radnom

Burninator

• GMC Member
  • 778 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:38 PM

It was pretty cool... until apparantly everyone ran out of ammo, every unit, on both sides... I couldn't even fire the cannons.

The sides just got into two rows facing each other and looked at each other menacingly. It was weird, and one of the AI bots spun around in circles.

Other than that, it was cool. Oh, and that happened after I'd been playing for 10 minutes.

#50 aragorn007

aragorn007

GMC Member

• 141 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 10:14 PM

Yeah, the same thing happened to me as radnom Games...