-- Ark 22 -- Adventure/rpg; Complete.

• Please log in to reply
1048 replies to this topic

#101 Michael1347

Michael1347

random Otaku

• 341 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:40 PM

I wanted to love this game but as soon as the first duegoen(sp?) it began to be an awful experence(sp?) the boss/miniboss(the snake guy) is too hard and felt like a way to punish the player for nothing.
The block puzzles were far too hard.
And this is in no way an RPG.
But I'll still vote for you.
This gets a 4 out of 5
-Mike

Edited by Michael1347, 08 October 2005 - 06:41 PM.

#102 klaranim

klaranim

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:50 PM

...And this is in no way an RPG....

RPG: role playing game

You are definetely playing a role in this game, and the player evolution effect is there too.

I'm pretty sure that this is an rpg. It is a realtime action rpg like zelda.

(please don't take this as a flame, I'm merely informing you)

Edited by klaranim, 08 October 2005 - 06:52 PM.

#103 Ylon Nikral

Ylon Nikral

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:05 PM

One word;

W-o-w.

This game is fantastic, I love the graphics, the music and almost everything about the game.I love the gameplay and the story is fascinating. You have created a GameMaker Classic here, and you really deserve this award.

Posted Image

I really hope that you continue making games as good as these, and you'll make it big. Good luck to you!

Also I might add, that you are going to recieve the highest rating I've ever given up-to-date, so here it is:

7/10!

#104 Michael1347

Michael1347

random Otaku

• 341 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:29 PM

The people who made Zelda said it is not an RPG or action RPG.

But ignoring that this is good.

#105 cyberdudequestor

cyberdudequestor

GMC Member

• 378 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:47 PM

I wanted to love this game but as soon as the first duegoen(sp?) it began to be an awful experence(sp?) the boss/miniboss(the snake guy) is too hard and felt like a way to punish the player for nothing.
This gets a 4 out of 5
-Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Zelda-style games are ALWAYS action/adventure games, but people call them rpgs because of how the story is big and epic.

#106 Alpha Man

Alpha Man

Game Maker Community

• 258 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:58 PM

... some bad things were the view, graphics, and the boringness... trust me, this game DOES deserve 2/10... or rather 19/100... you should work on this a little more then resubmit it... 2 and some years... were you just doing nothing all that time? No offense...

#107 BKO376

BKO376

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 265 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 October 2005 - 08:14 PM

A lot of talk for someone who has yet to produce a game...

#108 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:06 PM

Now this is interesting - the game I chose as my Cage Match successor ended up being my opponent.

I'm "Goodnight" from that other forum, Srehpog... I played the WIP and was quite impressed. Will try out the full game as soon as I have some time. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought so. :o We get around, don't we? I don't quite understand the Cage Match effect though - I got a PM asking me for an 'in case of failure' replacement game....that'll be difficult.

Edited by Srehpog, 23 September 2008 - 11:57 AM.

#109 klaranim

klaranim

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:08 PM

The people who made Zelda said it is not an RPG or action RPG.

But ignorin
g that this is good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This gets a 4 out of 5
-Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Zelda-style games are ALWAYS action/adventure games, but people call them rpgs because of how the story is big and epic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess I can see where you guys are coming from. For zelda to be a true rpg it would have to give more information about the scenario and background of the main character. I guess the char in Ark 22 applies similarly,

QUOTE(Alpha Man @ Oct 8 2005, 07:47 PM)
... some bad things were the view, graphics, and the boringness... trust me, this game DOES deserve 2/10... or rather 19/100... you should work on this a little more then resubmit it... 2 and some years... were you just doing nothing all that time? No offense...

Unfortunately, for me to trust you on the matter would imply that you were somehow speaking from authority on the matter, which I suspect to be false. No?

The word 'because' is also very useful.

Totally agree.

Usually people have to play the game completely or at least thoroughly in order for people to respect their opinion.

QUOTE(HelpTheWretched @ Oct 8 2005, 02:47 PM)
Now this is interesting - the game I chose as my Cage Match successor ended up being my opponent.

I'm "Goodnight" from that other forum, Srehpog... I played the WIP and was quite impressed. Will try out the full game as soon as I have some time. [wink1.gif]
[*]

I thought so. [tongue.gif] We get around, don't we? I don't quite understand the Cage Match effect though - I got a PM asking me for an 'in case of failure' replacement game - what is this?

I think it might mean the game that will compete with your victor in the next round if you lose. I know the loser of a cage match chooses the next contender.

Edited by klaranim, 08 October 2005 - 09:14 PM.

#110 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:12 PM

I don't consider it an RPG as such, although it's arguable Zelda does have simplified levelling and enhancement systems. I just put 'RPG' on there because it never fails to generate interest. :)

#111 klaranim

klaranim

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:16 PM

It really just depends on perspective.

If you go by the actual definition of RPG both your game and zelda would fit.

Apparantly its ambiguous (sp?).

#112 Michael1347

Michael1347

random Otaku

• 341 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:18 PM

I don't really agree with that.
I don't think you played through(sp?) it far enough to say that.
I didn't like it that much either but I still think you're being to harsh on it first off its only one person making it so you can't expect LoZ.

Now so this post isn't useless I think you should lower the diffculty of the first boss, it was just annoying to fight him since he didn't take any damage from me and when I died I had to go all the way back through(sp?) the dungeon(sp?) to fight again.

#113 RetroVortex

RetroVortex

8 bit updater

• 558 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:51 PM

I take it that you may be OBSESSED duckdoom fanboys or something...
If you think this game is so "Gay" then why do you reply..
In my eye i see this is a spam..

Anyways..
I'm routing for Ark22!!

Edited by RetroVortex, 08 October 2005 - 10:52 PM.

#114 Alpha Man

Alpha Man

Game Maker Community

• 258 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:55 PM

I take it that you may be OBSESSED duckdoom fanboys or something...
If you think this game is so "Gay" then why do you reply..
In my eye i see this is a spam..

Anyways..
I'm routing for Ark22!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate Duck Doom... it was a feeble attempt at a game... sorry... but yeah, I'm gonna go vote for this game... it is better than Duck Doom, at least... :) but still is worthy of 2/10...

#115 hughman

hughman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 568 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:02 PM

yeah I have to agree with Alpha Man....
play through past the first boss(till you beat him and keep going a little) then see what you think

yeah I've been extremely busy so back to work trying to beat the water boss..

edit: whoops!! didn't mean to say I agreed with Alpha Man meant to say I agreed with Retro Vortex lol

Edited by hughman, 09 October 2005 - 08:46 PM.

#116 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:11 PM

Alpha Man, purely out of interest....do you make games?

#117 vishusmartishus

vishusmartishus

GMC Member

• 38 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:19 PM

Can someone tell me how to beat the block puzzle with 8 moves? I CANT BEAT IT.

#118 klaranim

klaranim

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:47 PM

(So that this doesn't count as a flame, I will leave names out.)

It's painfully obvious that some of the people using this forum have no values.

I can't imagine how these people ignore the devoted effort of real users of this forum and have enough self confidence left to make posts about it.

I can undestand if these people were non-computer oriented but for gmc users? Shame....

Edited by klaranim, 08 October 2005 - 11:53 PM.

#119 Michael1347

Michael1347

random Otaku

• 341 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:00 AM

It's painfully obvious that some of the people using this forum have no values.

I can't imagine how these people ignore the devoted effort of real users of this forum and have enough self confidence left to make posts about it.

I can undestand if these people were non-computer oriented but for gmc users? Shame....

I agree completely.

I think there is something wrong with the sword's collison(sp?) it doesn't register hits to the first boss. I fought him once and died then coming back I couldn't beat him.

#120 Ablach Blackrat

Ablach Blackrat

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 1215 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:04 AM

I really don't understand the hostility that some people are showing this game. It is one of the best games to come out in a long time.

But for now if anyone posts anymore spam they will be placed on a month's Mod Preview. Criticism I can understand and actually encourage but not outright flaming. I'm looking at you, Alpha Man.

#121 OmegaFyre

OmegaFyre

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:50 AM

All you people complaining about the first miniboss, Have you considering you aren't attacking correctly? Some enemies have different weaknesses, for example, the snake you're fighting needs you to attack the tail to damage it. If you need help, try trapping it in behind the walls. For the 8 button block puzzle, remember that you just need to get the blocks in the right spot, so you don't need to use all of them.

#122 Bigoron_link

Bigoron_link

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:29 AM

Anyone help me? With the first boss..the airship..when u run out of bullets for the gun.how do u get more?

#123 Burn

Burn

GMC Member

• 85 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 05:49 AM

Don't the bullets respawn to the side of the boss level?

By the way, nice game. I get this very annoying bug while pressing P in New Samosa. Music is very good. I think all the people sprites could have had a little more detail but other then that the graphics are very good. Also, it would be nice to be able to talk to someone while not always facing directly below them. On my scale I would give this a 7.5/10. Keep in mind I consider 9+ professional quality.

#124 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:02 AM

OmegaFyre is exactly right. The snake is designed to take damage only to its tail - I've now made the tail sprite slightly orange to make this more obvious. Also, it will continue chasing you once it notices you until you remain our of range for long enough (by getting it stuck behind walls), and when simply searching for you, it has a greater visibility field where it is facing, and also, when it's not moving.

The trick is to sneak up behind it, or, if you're not a purist at all, run up to it and start slashing at the tail like mad. ::lmao::

Bigoron_Link, those yellow 'flowers' hanging off walls can be shot to generate more ammo. If you use your sword they'll do the same, but you lose some life.

#125 BlackMita

BlackMita

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:53 PM

Dearest Apocalypse!!!! This game is really well constructed.

Some of the puzzles here are definately in the same league as the Zelda games. I also liked how each room has it's own unique events and surrounding; you didn't just make 10 rooms and put enemies in different places. The level design is great.

The music for everything was also pretty good; did you make them yourself? The only thing I didn't like about the game was the confusion in the beggining, and soem strange lag problems at the 'top' of some areas. (especially in the other town with the lighthouse or whatever)

Ark22 has peaked my interest enough to continue playing and try to beat it.
Graphics = 6.5/10
Sound = 8/10
Music = 8.5/10
Story = 7.5/10
Gameplay = 9.5/10
Level Design = 10/10
TOTAL = 9/10
Metroid Planet Zebes in the works.

#126 Shawnanator

Shawnanator

ALEC IS TEH MAN

• 251 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 06:15 PM

I just plain and simple didn't like it too much and I agree with Alpha man when he says the view needs some work.

#127 Cloud Architect

Cloud Architect

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:50 PM

The game size is too big. It wont load properly!!! It keeps crashing when I try to load it!

:P :D :P :P :P :chikin :chikin :chikin

It looks sooooo cool!!! If only it were about two kilabytes smaller ::lmao::

Edited by Red_omen_4, 09 October 2005 - 07:53 PM.

#128 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:16 PM

Alright, here's some freebies; good things to do:

- Look for items hidden under the snow on the overworld. You can dig them up.....someone wants them.

- Tired of the '2 bombs at a time' limit? Take 700 Credits to the building near NSV....

- The field area with the lighthouse in has a river exiting North. Try it.

- The blue ring symbols in the field are important. Remember their locations...

Let's see what those do. ::lmao::

Anyone got to Dungeon 4 yet?

#129 GmDude66

GmDude66

GMC Member

• 348 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:10 PM

Stop complaining that it is too big... I'm on 56k and downloading it.
If he says it took 2 1/2 years i'm definately downloading it....

Will edit when finished..

~Derek~

#130 Gibbersniffy

Gibbersniffy

GMC Member

• 25 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:25 PM

might seem a bit late, but i like your game, and since i didnt want to parooze every post, i just wanted to ask you, after you get the marbles (???) when you first wake up and after you give the guy the statue, what do you do???? i've talked to everybody. nothing seems to work.

#131 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:13 AM

The marbles, statue, etc. are part of a game-wide trading sequence. You just need to find the NPC who's looking for marbles. I think he might be in the mountain lodge further north.

#132 Forsyth_88

Forsyth_88

GameZone Admin

• 154 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:52 AM

Really nice game, playing it at the moment, really like what I've seen so far.

#133 klaranim

klaranim

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:05 PM

The game size is too big. It wont load properly!!! It keeps crashing when I try to load it!

[sad.gif] [sad.gif] [sad.gif] [sad.gif] [sad.gif] [sad.gif] [sad.gif] [sad.gif]

It looks sooooo cool!!! If only it were about two kilabytes smaller [lmaosmiley.gif]

I don't know what you mean by 2 kb since that wouldn't make much of a difference but try making sure you have very few other programs running.

The programs running also includes the one's minimuzed to the bottom right of the screen so try closeing out some to free up some ram.

Use your task manager (ctrl alt del) to find the program that uses up most of your cpu and try running it again.

#134 larin555

larin555

Professional Graphist

• GMC Member
  • 576 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:19 AM

Great!

a 9/10 for Srehpog!

#135 hughman

hughman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 568 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 03:28 AM

hmm... you said that we had to talk to the guy in the library about increasing our credit limit size... I'm stuck at 500(therefore can't buy 700 credit bomb upgrade) and he doesn't seem to be giving it to me

#136 Jodder

Jodder

Da Prof

• GMC Elder
  • 1410 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:05 AM

This game is certainly one of the better GM creations to hit the streets in a long long time. I think it's terrific, and showing some of the signs of becoming one of the classics.

One of the signs that demonstrate a potential classic, to me anyway, is when the creation topic contains more than just peoples opinions of the game, but people start actually talking about the game. Looking for help and walkthroughs.

I'm also impressed with the mannerisms and graciousness of its creator, Srehpog. Reading his replies, he has been a complete class act. Not lowering himself to some of the uncalled for crittisms, listening and addressing contructive critiques, even apologising to members for problems because of discovered bugs.

This game and Srehpog are welcome additions to the GMC.
How many Game Maker members does it take to change a light bulb?
100. One registered member to buy the bulb, and 99 unregistered members to sit around complaining; that they should get to use as much light as the guy who paid for it.

-----------------
In Mod Preview; nobody can hear you scream!

#137 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:08 AM

Haha. That's very nice. Sounds like a restaurant review. :D

hmm... you said that we had to talk to the guy in the library about increasing our credit limit size... I'm stuck at 500(therefore can't buy 700 credit bomb upgrade) and he doesn't seem to be giving it to me

The guy at the desk at the top of the stairs controls the handing out of Credit pouches. He works for the museum, so of course to get things from him you need to be a worthy patron of the museum itself. The museum likes things which are old and collectible.

Try looking inside the circle of rocks (if you have the bombs) one screen north of NSV, or behind the bombable wall one screen north of there (bombs again), or perhaps the cliff outcrop you can get to through Dungeon 1's puzzle sections, or maybe the third village...

#138 dae_85

dae_85

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:44 PM

I'll just make this short & sweet.
Congradulations on making such a great game.
I think we all have great ideas like that but very few people have the dedication that you have to go through with it.
This is by far the best game I've seen made in gamemaker.
Give yourself a big pat on the back, well done.
:D

#139 Bonecollector

Bonecollector

GMC Member

• 524 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 01:54 PM

Those 20 mb were definitly worth the download!! Awesome game 9.5/10, actually I used to dislike action rpg's but I love em now and I actually started working on my own. So in a few years you might see a rpg by Maarten Rijs :D

#140 Nastynoam

Nastynoam

GMC Member

• 29 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 02:50 PM

Oh my god! I love this game!

This surely is the first gamemaker game I've ever played that keeps me going until I finish it.

Right now I'm at that temple at the water, you know, next to that long fishy-snake boss. I'm kinda stuck there, but I know I'll figure it out, someday...

Congrats to you, this game rocks!!!

#141 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:28 AM

I'm glad you all like it, although nobody seems to be getting past dungeon 3.... too hard?

#142 Nastynoam

Nastynoam

GMC Member

• 29 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:11 PM

Hmm, kinda found a bug there.
In some dungeon (the one where you think it's the very last intent) when you get to the boss (the big bat) the door closes, but when I fell in one of the black holes, I respawned in the closed door, so I couldn't move, but I didn't quit, considering I still had the chance to kill him I just stood there, shooting at him. But eventually my health got to zero, but I didn't die, I got immortal, so after a long time I killed the boss and I kept my immortallity, and it never got away.

Quite a handy bug :D

#143 Agent_48

Agent_48

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:23 PM

I'm glad you all like it, although nobody seems to be getting past dungeon 3.... too hard?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I finished Dungeon 3.

A little bit buggy in some rooms. e.g In the radio room the only way to leave it is with the SAT bracelet and when I go back to the commanders room in the NW village the game suddenly quits on me.

Edited by Agent_48, 13 October 2005 - 07:58 PM.

#144 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:41 AM

Hmm, kinda found a bug there.
In some dungeon (the one where you think it's the very last intent) when you get to the boss (the big bat) the door closes, but when I fell in one of the black holes, I respawned in the closed door, so I couldn't move, but I didn't quit, considering I still had the chance to kill him I just stood there, shooting at him. But eventually my health got to zero, but I didn't die, I got immortal, so after a long time I killed the boss and I kept my immortallity, and it never got away.

Quite a handy bug :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you remember if you remained transparent, or just invincible? That would help.

A little bit buggy in some rooms. e.g In the radio room the only way to leave it is with the SAT bracelet and when I go back to the commanders room in the NW village the game suddenly quits on me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the NPC in there throws up an error which quits the game. There's nothing important in there, so you didn't miss anything. Having any trouble finding dngeon 4?

Edited by Srehpog, 14 October 2005 - 07:44 AM.

#145 PLAY: More

PLAY: More

Press F8 to enter BIOS

• 824 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:51 AM

Review:

Graphics: 1,000,000,000,000,000/10
The graphics were spectacular. What is up with those files? Notepad errors on me. What are their structure?

Sound and Music: 9/10
Nothing to say here.

Difficulty: 9/10
Not too easy, not too hard. The only problem was that the pattern puzzles were a little hard :D .

Gameplay: *faints*/10
Great game. Not many bugs.

Replay Value: ?/10
I don't know as I haven't beat it yet!

Overall: 9,999,999,999,999,999/10
Best game I've seen for ages. "Best GM game ever", only competed by Hard Hat 3 by Damaged. Comparisions with Wubly are, this time, not possible.

#146 Nastynoam

Nastynoam

GMC Member

• 29 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:08 AM

Can you remember if you remained transparent, or just invincible? That would help.

No, I wasn't transparant, but when I opened the save file, with notepad, I saw that the second value (I believe that's health) was -3.0000000E002 or something like that, so my health was minus... but I changed it to 1.000 etc, and my health is back to normal now, but still, it's quite strange :P

Anyway, I had the same bug as Agent_48 in the radio room, and the error_log showed me this:

COMPILATION ERROR in string to be executed
Error in code at line 1:
   if place_meeting(x,y,player) && keyboard_check(vk_enter){sound_play(talk);if global.gamestate<4.01 global.gamestate=4.01;show_message('Oh, you must be '+string(global.playername)+'. The Commander is currently away, I'm afraid.')}

at position 218: Symbol , or ) expected.
That shouldn't be to hard to fix, should it?

Any tips on what to do next? I really wanna finish the game! :D

#147 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 01:56 PM

That's already fixed. It's my habit of always giving NPCs sentences with apostrophes in, even within ' '. After dungeon 3, you should automatically have some idea of where to go. If you've already watched the radio-room cutscene, it should be even clearer. :D

Press P and select 'Directive', or if you're really stuck....go West again.

As for negative health, that should be impossible. Player's death event is the automatic 'no more health' command, so it should kill you no matter how far down health goes. A very odd bug....

#148 kevlarhead

kevlarhead

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:32 PM

AWESOME GAME
question though, how do you beat the water boss that has the shield around him? I was thinking that was the area that opened after the second dungeon, but maybe i'm wrong...anyway, great game.

#149 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:16 AM

You shoot him to lower his shield, then pooint your boat at him at accelerate. :) Splat!

#150 kevlarhead

kevlarhead

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 06:02 PM

Can't seem to find dungeon four, when I go to the NW village after the radio room scene nothing seems to happen...