I'm stupider!!

#32 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 160 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:23 AM

Deadheat, you can always choose the 'directive' box in the Pause menu for hints. Right now though, you should have a crystal which fits into the pedestal in the entrance room and opens the way North. You can also save there.

Vortex, the solution to the second block puzzle in the room with 3 in is:
- left side, top
- underside, right
- left side, bottom
- topside, left

As of this afternoon I'll be away for a few days (going to university, takes a few days to register for a web connection, etc.), so if you need anything, just post it here or PM or email me or whatever. Don't let the topic sink! ;)

#33 Deadheat

Deadheat

Retro Maniac

• 659 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:43 AM

ok i passed the first dungeon, now i just have to find the shrine to the east ;)
wish me luck ;)

Edited by Deadheat, 02 October 2005 - 10:32 AM.

#34 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 2557 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:23 AM

Hmm.. I dunno. Theres stuff I like about this and stuff I don't.

The graphics are fairly nicely drawn though I don't like the sprites much. Everyone I've seen seems to be a Link To The Past main sprite edit and lack real character. The backgrounds are ok though a bit bland in color usage. The ship worried me slightly how there only seemed to be walls above and below but none to the side. Made it seem more like floating platforms whizzing through space than an actual craft. Ain't too keen on how small everything is, its double the resolution of most 16 bit games but its made everything half the size. Theres a couple of those cheap looking built in GM room transistions which make it look very amateur. The sketches in the cut scenes are alright.

Sound seems ok. Sound effects kinda typical but music seemed nice though the ship tune did start to get on my nerves.

Controls bothered me a lot. Using Space bar is fine if you ain't using many other keys but its clumsy when you have keys above it to you. Just ain't comfortable. And having to use Return to talk to people? And seems most people can only be spoken to from one side? Kinda awkward. Also the mouse pointer was annoying as hell, popping up whenever I needed to answer a multiple choice question. I don't see the need for the mouse at all. Is there any other way to select the options?

The whole ship bit was kinda boring as well. Always preferred it in games like Link To The Past where you were immediately drawn into the story and prepared to fight, it helping ya get the feel of the combat early on which to me is one of the most important things in games like these. Searching for a way to get coffee ain't quite got the same appeal for me. And why doesn't the machine offer me black coffee?

Anyways I listed all them negative things because other than those points I think this is a very good game with enough gameplay to last a while. I'll be playing again later though I'll set JoyToKey up to assign all the controls to joypad.... though the mouse pointers still gonna be an irritance.

Better than Zelda? Nah... but not a bad attempt at all and is probably way more deserving than some of the games in the Staff Choice (cannot stand that most recent one at all)

Nice work.

#35 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:39 AM

The entire ship section is worrying me quite a bit. It was the first thing I ever coded and it's caused so much trouble since, mainly by requiring a lot of updating and "why on earth did I do that" effect, but also by not actually being any good, and putting a lot of players off straight away. I may just delete it altogether. As you say, the ship effect isn't convincing, I used terrible transitions rather than just a simple scroll.....hmm. Might just cut the whole thing.

As for the controls, does ring finger on Z, middle on X, and index on Space not work? That's the way I imagine most people would play it, and it seems a little more comfortable than the usual straight-line ASD/ZXC/QWE systems. The multiple-choice messages are just the inbuilt response message system. I would have made my own text engine but didn't have the time, and I figured that could go on the "next time" list.

I do absolutely urge you to get past the initial boring, inelegant, amateurish bits though. I think you'd be pretty impressed with some of the later dungeons, particularly the fourth, or the boss of the first. I promise it shakes off the Zelda roots after a while. ;)

#36 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 2557 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:48 AM

As for the controls, does ring finger on Z, middle on X, and index on Space not work? That's the way I imagine most people would play it, and it seems a little more comfortable than the usual straight-line ASD/ZXC/QWE systems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not even remotely comfortable for me. Maybe you got more desk space in front of your keyboard but if I try that I can't rest my wrist anywhere. Besides my Space bar is also a piece of crap and has to be hit pretty hard to work (which is why I always have to spend time editing my own posts and smacking down the space bar to break up the words). Before I got joypad USB converters I used to play all my SNES and Arcade games with QWE ASD as the 6 button lay out so I would be more used to that. No big deal though. Like I said I'm gonna set up a JoyToKey config like I have to do with so many GM games.

#37 TyR

TyR

Webdesigner

• 279 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 01:13 PM

Seriously, a good game.

Amazing storyline, gameplay and feeling.

The only thing I dont like is that you change the screen res... makes it look blurry and stuff on big LCD monitors...

#38 kylethompson

kylethompson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 946 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 01:14 PM

possibly the best game I've EVER played!

I love it!!!
11/10

#39 JJProductions

JJProductions

Agamma Corpus

• 2211 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 01:38 PM

possibly the best game I've EVER played!

I love it!!!
11/10

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You havent played very many games, have you?

(Not trying to diss the game, I was talking about professional games. This is decent for a GM game)

#40 yami kazi

yami kazi

GMC Member

• 43 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 01:54 PM

i love this game a true gm classic 9.5/10

wonderful

#41 Nailog

Nailog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 603 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:14 PM

I actually liked the ship section. I thought it was a nice introduction to the game. It might have been better if the player had a little dialogue at the beginning, mentioning needing to see the ship controller about a premonition, but the other NPCs gave enough clues to figure out what had to be done.

The main thing that has stopped me from playing are the glitches. The dying and then the elevator disappearance in the ship. The pause error when in the village. Both required quitting, and each time I had to redo the entire intro again.

So far I really like the game, but I'll have to play some other time, when I wouldn't mind running through the introduction again. ;)

#42 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1633 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:46 PM

That game was pretty cool. The desing and graphics was nice, we can see a lot of effort in this game. My only frustration was that i couldnt figure out how to save, only reason i stopped playing ;)

Good game!

#43 GoronSlayer99

GoronSlayer99

GMC Member

• 305 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:50 PM

That game was pretty cool. The desing and graphics was nice, we can see a lot of effort in this game. My only frustration was that i couldnt figure out how to save, only reason i stopped playing ;)

Good game!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Once the ship crashes, you exit that little house, and go to the house thing below it. Walk up to the..uhhh... I don't remember what it was. Computer maybe? I think so, I can't remember. Anyways, you save there. ;)

#44 Zakreon

Zakreon

GMC Member

• 353 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:13 PM

awww.. i want so bad... but it would take me like forever to download a 20mb game, it takes 10 minutes to dl a 1mb game, think about 20 ;)

#45 GoronSlayer99

GoronSlayer99

GMC Member

• 305 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:48 PM

awww.. i want so bad... but it would take me like forever to download a 20mb game, it takes 10 minutes to dl a 1mb game, think about 20 ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The host is good. Very good. It took 45 seconds for me to dload, whereas a 2 MB game usually takes 30 seconds. I recommend starteing the download and if you aren't happy with the speed you can cancel it, but it's very good, I think you should give it a shot.

#46 minihampe

minihampe

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 04:37 PM

WOOOOHOOO ;)
the best game made in :GM077: !!!!
it is very well built...
and it has nice story ;)
beter then zelda :GM011:
10/10 in all things!!!!!

#47 hughman

hughman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 568 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 05:05 PM

very nice game indeed found at least one little bug... the first time I went to the "leaf flame sun sky" room I killed off fire first I think and then I was unable to get out of the room or kiil off the others and leave... but I reloaded it and went through it in the right order and it worked
the boss seems to be very hard to me but still working on it...
one thing I found interesting was that you had a guy asking if you wanted to play a game(I think cups) on the ship but yet it didn't seem to me that you could get any credits yet to play it

anyway very nice game it is indeed one of the best GM games out there and I can tell that a lot of time was put into this

btw the little puzzles were awesome! not sure why I liked them so much but felt good to figure them all out by myself.

definitely going to keep this game for a while

#48 BKO376

BKO376

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 265 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 02 October 2005 - 05:16 PM

I challenge anyone to name a better GM Game.

#49 Zarthas

Zarthas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 845 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 06:19 PM

Jumper! ROFLMAO

#50 Zairik

Zairik

GMC Member

• 1419 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 06:25 PM

Jumper! ROFLMAO

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AGH! SHUT UP!! ;)

#51 ToaofGamecube

ToaofGamecube

GMC Member

• 56 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 08:42 PM

Wow. Thanks. ;)

For all you people having trouble with the far-too-complicated ship section:

Ship FAQ:

- Talk to the NPC in the furthest south-east room, by the desk with a monitor on it. He'll ask you for a decrypted disk.
- Get the disk from the small table in the bottom-left corner of the main room.
- Press Enter on the glass of drink by the main desk to distract the guy standing there.
- Use the PC behind the main desk. The disk is now decrypted.
- Return to the first NPC and talk to him.
- Go to the bar and grab the tray of drinks waiting. Answer "Yes!".
- Go left to the front deck, and talk to the NPC on the platform, return to the main area and use the lift.
- Use the PC at the desk in the little room up here to launch a cutscene.
- After cutscene, use the lift to leave.
- On arrival in the main area, run RIGHT to leave the ship...

Also be sure to check the bug list in the first post. There is a way to lock yourself in a dungeon room, so be sure to avoid it. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow thanks for that FAQ it was hard to figure out how to distract the guard

#52 hughman

hughman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 568 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:27 PM

Wow.. I have wasted waaayyy tooo much time on this game lol
just keep playing and playing... very addicting

are you making any money off this game? you should go and sell it somewhere

I can't think of any better GM games right now...

well time to put it down and get some homework done lol

#53 ToaofGamecube

ToaofGamecube

GMC Member

• 56 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 11:28 PM

Well apart from a few glitches this game is good...

No music though :'(

9/10

#54 hughman

hughman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 568 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 11:40 PM

I have to agree that there are a few bugs... not a lot and I probably wouldn't expect much more from a game this size(how many chapters are there btw I can't believe it's supppose to be a 6 hour game.. unless I'm just really slow)

there is music though...

#55 Cheatscanner

Cheatscanner

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 12:59 AM

probably one of the few good downloadable overhead view style games for a computer out there... but i havent downloaded it...

#56 Acid Rain

Acid Rain

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:36 AM

I've said this before a a different forum, but very nice job Sreh. I really like this game, very well made.
I just beat the first boss. And I died. I NEVER die in amatuer games. Good job ;)

#57 vishusmartishus

vishusmartishus

GMC Member

• 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 02:02 AM

I'm lovin' the fast download! Nice host!

I'll post again after I play

#58 Deadheat

Deadheat

Retro Maniac

• 659 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:41 AM

well i can't figure out how to get through that blizzard to the second dungeon. The shrine i think it's called, I got directions but they dont seem to work o0
Maybe its just me though....
I enjoyed the first boss, i think the difficulty is good so far just hope it kicks up a notch in the later dungeons. Those puzzles are damn hard, but thats probably cus i suck at puzzles lol XD

#59 Agent_48

Agent_48

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 03:12 PM

This is a great game, I recommend it to any who hasnt downloaded it yet.

Although theres a few small bugs and glitches this IS one of the best games on the GMC so far.

Well done Srehpog.

#60 hughman

hughman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 568 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:24 PM

btw I think there was a bug in my favor... I reloaded my game and went over to the lighthouse before talking to the guy about it and it was open! I got the feeling I was supposed to find someway to get a key or something after talking to the king... some way to break in

also I tried it so that I relaoded the game went over and looked at the lighthouse... open went and talked to the king about it with the technician there.. went back and it was locked...

having fun zipping around on the water... trying to figure out how to beat the water boss who has tentacles the pop-up from under the water

anyway looks great

only thing I wish is that the bosses had some kind of health bar or showed damage a little bit better
I just have to shoot the water guy a lot of times right? what's the blue sphere that surrounds him? a shield that has to be shot off?

Edited by hughman, 03 October 2005 - 07:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users