tangibleLime

Lunatic

• Retired Staff
  • 2520 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:35 PM

ID3 DLL

Information
This is a simple ID3 DLL that can get a few informations about the files.

Functions
Get: Artist, title, year, comments, album (if I forgot one, tell me :D)

Special Notes
Now to all of you music downloaders (shame on you):
Some of the files you download have messed up ID3 tags, so don't complain that the DLL doesn't work, because it works perfectly. It's the file, not the DLL.

Download
Click Here to Download

#2 arcooke

arcooke

GMC Member

• 1055 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:37 PM

What version of ID3 does it recognize? There's many versions of ID3 tags, each being different.

#3 andrewmc

andrewmc

GMC Member

• 440 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:26 PM

Sweet man, this will definatly hlp people making media players with Audio B)

#4 GmDude66

GmDude66

GMC Member

• 348 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:31 AM

umm.... is this ID3 1, 2, or 3? lol

#5 tangibleLime

tangibleLime

Lunatic

• Retired Staff
  • 2520 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:37 AM

I believe that it is 1.

#6 gamemaker intermediate

gamemaker intermediate

GMC Member

• 123 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:33 AM

you should make an option to pick one of the types

#7 Yani

Yani

GMC Member

• 48 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 05:50 PM

Hey, I'm currently using your ID3 DLL. Would it be possible to make it ID3v2 compatible too?
I'm getting really strange titles with this one.
Special characters, like japanese don't dispay at all(Instead I get a title of ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ's and other characters).
if there is only ID3v2 present, returned tags are a mess.
At some situations, it returns artist and title like this:

Robert Miles 23 AM 97 . - 03-Introducing Robert Miles 23 AM 97 .
Artist is the part before " - " and title is after.
Here are the source values:
Artist: Robert Miles
Album: 23AM
Year: 97
Title: 03-Introducing

If there already is a DLL that supports id3v2, that is fine too.. just tell me where to find it:)

BTW, how does Winamp get the titles almost always right?
Is it just made so it understands most of ID3 mistakes or does it guess from the file name?

Thanks for the useful DLL, it's still a lot of use at testing phase :blink:

#8 Smarttart62

Smarttart62

designFUSION

• 2619 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:31 PM

Special characters, like japanese don't dispay at all(Instead I get a title of ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ's and other characters).

GM doesnt support them.
-Steve

#9 ragarnak

ragarnak

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 19468 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:58 PM

I don't want to be nasty or anything, but I hope you guys do realize that stuff like this can be done with a bit of GML using the binary-file functions ? That a DLL is not actually needed ?

#10 Smarttart62

Smarttart62

designFUSION

• 2619 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:02 PM

Yep and shaltif even made an example for it :blink:.
-Steve

#11 Yani

Yani

GMC Member

• 48 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:28 PM

The thing is, I have an impression that GML is slow at file functions.
Although I just proved that it is quite fast with memory operations, my previous experiments have shown me that reading files is slower and requires more processor time.
I'd really like to make my player as light as possible on the processor(so it could be ran on background).
Also, there are already dependaple sources out there waiting to be wrapped to GM(http://id3lib.sourceforge.net/).

Don't take me wrong here. I'm not requesting someone to make a wrapper for id3lib or anything. I'm just asking if someone has time and could give it a try :blink:

#12 takua108

takua108

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 582 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:32 PM

Well...it shouldn't be that processor-intense to just check the ID3 tags once, when the file loads...sure, you might get a quick freeze-up on large songs on slow computers, but that shouldn't last more than a second...

#13 Yani

Yani

GMC Member

• 48 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:30 PM

I'm sure there is a reason why id3lib sources take over 1 meg.
Reading tags with GML isn't really that slow, when it's only 1 file, but what about updating media library or other operations that affect hundreds or thousads of files? :blink:
Besides, the speed isn't really the issue. I trust the id3lib guys a little more than myself on this subject. Why would they have written hundreds of lines of code and spent years on something that could be done with a few lines of GML? ::lmao::
Comparing id3lib to a home-made piece of amateur code...
-Faster
-More stable
-Isn't so sensitive for errors
-Made with years of experience

I'm not saying that homemade GML version could not work. I just doubt it't reliability:)

#14 Shaltif

Shaltif

The Audio Master

• Retired Staff
  • 1185 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:22 AM

I edited most of this post away

Didn't I just answer this for someone else?

http://forums.gamema...ndpost&p=944340

That is a script which will pull the ID3 tags from a file. I have used this script in my own SXMS Player 3.0.

SXMS-3.dll (if your using this DLL) already includes such support natively (including most of it's formats that support tagging, like MP3, OGG, WMA, MODs, MIDI, etc).

EDIT: well...isn't that ironic. It seems you did know about this script (just noticed you posted below my script way back when). Well, I guess I just wasted your time. Sorry about that.

...and it looks like I completely went off topic (sorry about thar Roach, I'll edit most of my post away to get back on topic). Yar, two wrongs in a single post, that's a new record. As for the DLL itself (ya, I was concentrating on the discussion above I missed that this was a DLL creation topic) it would seem like ID3v2 would be a good suggestion. Most mp3's use this method for saving additional information, so it would broaden the amount of files this DLL could support. Although, looking at the age of the topic (three strikes, just isn't my day on the forum) I would say you are probably not up to revamping this older creation...

Time to take a break from the forum before I make myself look more like a fool,
~Brandon

#15 Yani

Yani

GMC Member

• 48 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:20 AM

SXMS-3.dll (if your using this DLL) already includes such support natively (including most of it's formats that support tagging, like MP3, OGG, WMA, MODs, MIDI, etc).

Wow.. Thanks for the information. I never knew that SXMS3 had tag reading capabilities :P I am actually using it. Great, great DLL indeed ::lmao::
I only utilize the sxeasy scripts for now. When I get the whole system working, I'll start using the more advanced functions :)

That is a script which will pull the ID3 tags from a file. I have used this script in my own SXMS Player 3.0.

I looked into that before asking here the first time. I don't know, I had trouble making it work. Problems with ID3v2 or something..?
Also I used quite a lot of time to figure out how the damn thing works :GM130:
BTW, if you still use/want people to use it, wouln't it be better to save the returned values in a data structure map? :D

EDIT: well...isn't that ironic. It seems you did know about this script (just noticed you posted below my script way back when). Well, I guess I just wasted your time. Sorry about that.

No problem. The only time 'wasted' was reading your post :GM127: Besides I like it when my topics get replied, was it in-topic or not. It's fun to read what other people have to say. ;) (Don't worry, gods make mistakes too :GM130: )

oh, the damn thing was a joke :blink: I used the previous version a while^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users