The GM MENTORS List
Welcome to the list of GM Mentors at the GMC... Have you been working on a problem for days now? Is there something that you just don't get? Have you posted a topic in the Novice Q&A forum and gotten no replies or replies that haven't answered your question? Then you have come to the right place, as this list has been compiled to help novice users of GM find their feet on the forums and resolve those problems that currently seem unsolvable!
Where do you start? Well, you start by choosing a name from the list below and clicking on it. This will take you to their profile screen where you can send them a Personal Message (PM) requesting their help. Be sure to mention that you got their name from the Mentors List and please follow these few basic rules when getting in touch with a GM Mentor :
- Choose a RANDOM member from the list. We don't want to have only the person at the top getting hundreds of PM's from everybody that needs help!
- Be polite. They are giving their time to help you and that is worthy of respect.
- Make sure to mention that you saw their name on this list, it might prompt them to ask for it to be removed if they have forgotten about it, or are no longer able to help because of other commitments.
- Try your best to do things for yourself as a Mentor is there to provide help and support, not to make your game for you!.
- Be sure to make your question clear and provide as much information as possible, this will help to make your question easier to answer, and if you have previously posted a topic in the Novice Q&A provide a link to that topic.
- Expect a Mentor to make your game for you.
- Ask more than one Mentor at a time for help. Using the help provided by these members is a privilege here, and any abuse of the system will not be tolerated.
- Pester a Mentor if they say they cannot help anymore, or do not reply within at least a week of your inicial contact. If that happens then you should ask someone else, or post your problem in the Novice Q&A.
- Expect a Mentor to guide you forever! Once your inicial query is resolved try and continue by yourself and post further questions in the Novice Q&A unless the Mentor specifically states that you can get back in touch with further problems.
A Note To All Mentors
If you are a GM Mentor (or wish to be one) there are a few things that you should note too...
- Be polite and respectful to the person that contacts you.
- If you no longer wish to be a Mentor then PM a moderator to get your name removed from the list a soon as possible.
- Members who are innactive for more than a few months will be notified and removed from the list. This is not permanent and if you wish to be put back on the list again, then inform a moderator when you are available.
- If at the time of contact you feel you cannot help then SAY SO, rather than just ignore the message you have been sent. You are allowed to say no to a request as being a Mentor is not an obligation, but please do so in a polite manner.
- If a member is being rude, pushy or sendng you mass PM's then let a moderator know and it will be dealt with.
Help them to help themselves and remember, you are not there to hold their hand forever more! Once the initial question has been resolved you may decline to help further and suggest that they start posting in the Novice Q&A further questions. This is a personal choice, of course, and each Mentor is free to continue helping any member for as long as they wish.
Support Banners For Mentors
A number of community members contibuted banners for GM Mentors to display in their signatures. I have collected them all in a zip file that can be downloaded here:
Download mentorsbanners.zip from Host-A
And here we have a sample of them for you to see :
by Tangible Lime
Thank you all for making these and I hope to see at least some of the mentors using them in their signatures!