#1 General Leo

General Leo

Master Gamer

• GMC Member
  • 976 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:10 AM

• Title: GML Tutorial
  • Description: Teaches D&D users how to use coding instead.
  • GM Version: GM6, GM7, GM8
  • File Type: .rtf ("notepad" or "write" file -- open with any text editor)
  • File Size: ~191KB
  • File Link: HERE

Additional Info

If you know D&D (Drag and Drop) or at least the basic structure of game making, this tutorial will teach to how to easily advance into scripting your own GML (Game Maker Language) scripts with no previous experience! Hundreds of people now have PMed me or emailed me their success stories. My Easy-to-Learn GML Tutorial is the best out there because I teach as if you have no experience which helps ANYBODY understand scripting. I guarantee if you have a basic understanding of game making, you'll learn GML by reading my tutorial! Keep in mind scripting GML can be learned in a matter of minutes but takes years to fully master.

Also, as stated in the tutorial, this tutorial is meant to teach scripting for GM6, or higher and may not be completely correct for GM5.3 or below.

Search Tags

• GMCTUTORIAL
  • GMCGML

Edited by General Leo, 26 April 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#2 General Leo

General Leo

Master Gamer

• GMC Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 07:57 PM

updated to version 5.1 which has some small corrections and improvements. It really helps when people PM me and tell me what they think!

If I get many more PMs, I may even make a tutorial on d&d or maybe one for flat out first time users for GM. Tell me what you think.

#3 Dragonfist028

Dragonfist028

GMC Member

• 69 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:52 AM

Great piece of work! any chance you could explain the switch and loop statements? Tnx in advance!

#4 General Leo

General Leo

Master Gamer

• GMC Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:25 PM

Great piece of work! any chance you could explain the switch and loop statements? Tnx in advance!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe, I'll think about it. :)

Now updated to version 5.2. I added a few more scripts and made (what I think) to be the last grammer and spelling mistakes.

I've also updated my email address and site at the bottom. My new site is PixelPerfectGames.com which is getting a MAJOR facelift soon.

Enjoy the new tutorial version!

Edited by General Leo, 13 February 2006 - 04:40 PM.

#5 Dragon2007

Dragon2007

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:44 AM

anyway u can add the tutorial in text or microsoft works format?

#6 General Leo

General Leo

Master Gamer

• GMC Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:43 PM

Guess what people, I worked on it even more! I included an updated font_add_sprite sprites incase any of you are actually using the old one. I found out the rest of the symbols and stuff so all the most common ones are included now.

I also made a ton more changes all over the place. Soo glad this is helping so many people. B)

Keep those PMs and emails comin.

I've had many people ask me to add multiplayer and 3D codes to my tutorial. I want to remind you all this is a beginners guide to learning GML, adding things like that would only confuse people more then they are before reading my tutorial.

Maybe I'll make an advanced GML tutorial? PM me if you think I need to write one. I just might make one if I get enough requests.

#7 Sir Kildar

Sir Kildar

GMC Member

• 80 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:55 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[COLOR=orange][SIZE=7][FONT=Impact][U][I][B]
Dear G-leo
This tutorial RULES!!!! :P
i am now able to progress on my game series (MOI, a.k.a Myths of Inkorta :) ) by adding arrow types and quantities, creating bars that when they reach a certain level can increase the players health, making enemy healthbars, allthanks to you! :D there is one problem.... i am not very good at text :P , i have looked around and not found 1 single thing that does codes as text, i will be able to make small text boxes but not very professional! :P please, please,PLEASE! put on something that could help me with my text problems,
S.Kildar
p.s. Did imention i couldn't understand GML language until now!

#8 jc84144

jc84144

GMC Member

• 78 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 02:27 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[COLOR=orange][SIZE=7][FONT=Impact][U][I][B]
Dear G-leo
This tutorial RULES!!!! :P
i am now able to progress on my game series (MOI, a.k.a Myths of Inkorta :( ) by adding arrow types and quantities, creating bars that when they reach a certain level can increase the players health, making enemy healthbars, allthanks to you! :P there is one problem.... i am not very good at text :D , i have looked around and not found 1 single thing that does codes as text, i will be able to make small text boxes but not very professional! ;) please, please,PLEASE! put on something that could help me with my text problems,
S.Kildar
p.s. Did imention i couldn't understand GML language until now!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah could we have somthing on Text boxes please :P

#9 Sniffy

Sniffy

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:59 PM

Any chance I can get a list of functions?

#10 Bloodveld

Bloodveld

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:15 AM

Woah. This is amazing. No, I haven't read it yet (XD), but I did skim it. What I really like about this tut is that instead of just saying "This code is the same thing as this D&D button" and leaving it at that, it explains a bunch of stuff with a good amount of detail, like arrays.

Awesome job. <_< (Also, this forum needs a clapping emote.)

#11 Anubis208

Anubis208

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:41 AM

This is so awsome. I have been doing 3-d off of other people's scripts, but now I can actually make my own!!!!! This is the best, clearest tutorial on GM: that I have ever seen. I can actually understand it!!!!!!!!! :angry:

#12 RPG_fan_attic

RPG_fan_attic

GMC Member

• 1142 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:57 AM

Nice, im going to read this coz my brother is the 1 that puts code into my game, its time i learn code

#13 cred13

cred13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:40 PM

i used this to learn gml... it's very good!

#14 ideweever

ideweever

GMC Member

• 108 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:05 AM

thanks alot for this tutorial it really helped me alot. ive been trying to learn how to write some scripts but didnt know what all symbols mean. :D :( :P

#15 Dany

Dany

GMC Member

• 150 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:43 PM

Ok,that's good,but AT ALL it not explains it!

#16 freaked

freaked

freak up!

• 890 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:16 AM

thanks alot for this tutorial it really helped me alot.  ive been trying to learn how to write some scripts but didnt know what all symbols mean. :D :GM063: :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:mellow: ;) :
thanxthanx thanx *100000 I FINNALY LEARNT GML!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :

#17 shomon

shomon

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:12 AM

Thanks

it's a good tutor ^ ^

#18 General Leo

General Leo

Master Gamer

• GMC Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:55 AM

Thank you all for the replys. I made this tutorial a long time ago now and to this day, I still get people messageing me telling me my tutorial is the best and easiest way to learn GML.

THANK YOU ALL for helping spread the word. I love hearing that my tutorial has helped so many people start to write their own scripts. I'll see if I can't work on the tutorial some more sometime.

#19 Spector_Slayor

Spector_Slayor

GMC Member

• 81 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:25 PM

This is the best free tutorial ever made in my opinion.... :P

#20 General Leo

General Leo

Master Gamer

• GMC Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:09 PM

hey guys, just uploaded version 6.1 of my tutorial. I noticed some of my links were going bad so I erased them and put my paid host to ensure it will work for a long, long time.

Glad my tutorial is continuing to help all of you.

#21 Zpace

Zpace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:47 AM

NOW THIS really helped me out :). Thanks man. I think everyone which are willing to learn GML should read this. :)

OverAndOut.
/Zpace

#22 ewaygames

ewaygames

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:47 PM

It is a lot of reading, I got a little confused when it started to go to the ! sign and brackets, Then I got totally confused when I got to the jump to a place and so on.

Anyway this guide was somewhat helpful if it was broken down more into detail.

Is there some way to get a broken down guide or book from somewhere on D&D, GML or both?

#23 Compmonkey

Compmonkey

GMC Member

• 161 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:06 PM

I got confused on the arrays before i saw this =P im still a little =P but i know alot of other things thanx to this =)

#24 me123

me123

GMC Member

• 123 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:14 AM

can you make changes to it so it can work with game maker 7?

#25 hellfire911

hellfire911

GMC Member

• 844 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:03 PM

Basically :lol: and :whistle: are the same.

#26 cheeserules

cheeserules

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 570 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:08 AM

I sooooooo reccomend this tutorial! It tought me half the stuff I already know and than another half of the stuff it tought me instantly! It is extremely well documented. It's the best beginner's GML tutorial out there!

#27 theBlighter

theBlighter

GMC Member

• 177 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:09 AM

Best. Tutorial. Ever.

Dude, I just got through a section that taught me two things: How to make different sized jumps based on how long you press the jump button, and how to get realistic stopping (like, not stopping instantly, but stopping more like a sort of speed gradient).

#28 rogueheart_69

rogueheart_69

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:43 AM

thank you so much fr putting this up...i cant tell you how much this has helped me...

i actually understand it now.....!!!!!java script:emoticon(':whistle:')
smilie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#29 Phantom_Of3

Phantom_Of3

GM Programmer

• 710 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:26 PM

Great tutorial for learning to use GML, but next time do you think you could put in statements besides if? Some confusing ones are for, while, until, and even with can be confusing.

So maybe in the next guide you could include those. I am currently making a guide to starting off as a beginner and becoming advanced. I will recommend this guide as one for learning how to use GML.

#30 mattpk

mattpk

GMC Member

• 821 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:56 AM

x += 1
This code is most likely the type of code used in most platformers or RPGs. If put into the "keyboard left" event of an object, it will rapidly move the object to the right. using a - (minus) sign instead of the plus sign will cause it to go backwards making it (in this case) go left.

You said that in your tutorial. read it carefully. why would anyone want to to move an object right when you press left???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users