Markup Issue Two!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongames

Dragongames

Comitar

• 162 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:43 PM

Finally, yes, finally, many, many, many long months in the making, we at GM6.info have finished Markup Issue Two!

Here is the full outline of what this issue has in store for you:
Reviews:
Sector 51
Mad House
Mr. Phratt’s Haunted Mansion

Articles and Spotlights (in depth reviews):
A Look Into a “Magical” Game
Emoticon Tournament: Spotlight
Inside the H Unit
Hold off Red: Spotlight
What’s Next at GM6.info
GM6.info Wants YOU!
Organizer: Spotlight
Letter from the Staff

This past few days has been especially busy for the staff in preparation for this release.

Credits:
Robin Monks - Co-Editor, Cover Story, Layout
Chris Van Patten - Co-Editor, Letter from the Staff, Graphics, Layout

Eyas Sharaiha - Spotlights, Sidebar Content, Reviews
Andreas - Reviews

Mistakes:
We haven't released yet and we've found mistakes already!
Page 27 GM6.info Forum Ad, name reads "Chirs", should say "Chris"
Page 22 GSG Blurb, does not make note that this service is in development and already has had changes since writing

Thanks to:
Any active posters on GM6.info. You guys rock!
Simon Donkers for being great about that interview!
The creators of any of the games featured!
Anyone who contributed somehow to Markup but wasn't listed in the magazine or here!

Download links:
http://gm6.info/markup/Markup2.7z - 7z compressed file
http://gm6.info/markup/Markup2.exe - 7z compressed self-extracting exe

Now enjoy this, because it looks like the next one won't be until the end of the year (based on the way things went the last two issues!) ^_^

Chris Van Patten
GM6.info Administrator
Comitar Studios Founder

Edited by Dragongames, 09 August 2005 - 02:18 AM.

#2 toopz

toopz

Spriter

• 782 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:30 AM

It was ok, nothing special, nothing bad. I only read a small portion of it because the writing at the start (in the first couple of reviews) was mostly uninteresting. I'm not sure about the rest.

Another thing, the ads really annoyed me. In a magazine that's being printed or sold where the ads are needed for funding, I can understand it, but in a free .pdf, it's just there to be there. I mean, it's a gamemaker magazine, not something about downloading the sourcecode to firefox.

Maybe I'm being too hard on it, but I didn't really find alot of stuff in it to keep me interested for more than a few minutes.

#3 Eyas

Eyas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:20 AM

We are constantly reducing the number of advertisements in the Mag, however, the editors and staff do have the right to advertise their sites, and in the case of Firefox, a place they are active in.

The ads we have are a few ones, 1 about mozilla, 1 about comitar.com, and 1 about the forums, which isn't really an advertisement. We also have 2 sidebar advertisements, which are very small and aren't supposed to annoy anone.

The reviews are to learn more about games in Game Maker, if you find "learning more about games" uninteresting, then just don't read it. All reviews are like that, in all GM Magazines, the fact that many people aren't interested in them is ok, but just skip them.

I also find it strange that you didn't even ready the "Inside H Unit" article, which almost everyone seems interested in.

Eyas Sharaiha (eyas-sharaiha.com);
previous projects include: GMking.org, MarkUp Magazine.

#4 Catdaemon

Catdaemon

Sheep Launcher

• 1146 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:27 AM

I also find it strange that you didn't even ready the "Inside H Unit" article, which almost everyone seems interested in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still havent figured out whats so interesting about a group who say they can do better then everyone else.

The writing style in this mag didnt keep me reading for long, also i found it quite bland.

#5 tpvgames

tpvgames

was dt_8792

• 549 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:39 AM

This magazine is awsome... Stll reading it...
Another posting by: Dean Williams

EmoteMaker 8.0.1 is out now!!
Create your own emoticons with this fun application!

GameMaker Isometric City - Index your website for free today!

I'm back, with a vengeance...
Watch this space... I'm making a comeback soon once website is sorted, EmoteMaker is out other projects on the way!!

#6 Porfirio

Porfirio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1209 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:43 AM

Good magazzine you have here
Keep it up !

#7 harr

harr

GMC Member

• 125 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:50 AM

8mb for 28 pages. 8mb for 0 interest.

Nothing in there was interesting. I was reading the h-unit bit, but it went on and on without me finding anything interesting.

Why on earth a .pdf file? As html it would be easier to read and a much smaller file. I admit it looked nice, but it really wasn't practical.

#8 Simon Donkers

Simon Donkers

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:29 AM

I must say the article is lacking seriously in interesting contents.

Info about GM6.info (shameless self promotion)
What’s Next at GM6.info
GM6.info Wants YOU!
Organizer: Spotlight
Letter from the Staff

Reviews
Sector 51
Mad House
Mr. Phratt’s Haunted Mansion
Hold off Red: Spotlight
Emoticon Tournament: Spotlight

Articles
Inside the H Unit

Missing:
A Look Into a “Magical” Game

You are a magazine. Yet most of your content is filled with reviews and only one article. You promote my interview as an 'in this issue we go where few GMCers have gone before, inside the H Unit'.
My interview tells very little information that is not already known about H Unit. This is becuase H Unit is not a secret society as many people claim but that H Unit has been discussed far to much already and everyone already knows what it's about. With this being your featured interview, listed bold in the index and in large lettors in the center of the title page it seriously lacks new breaking information.

Now that leaves most of your article centered around reviews and info about gm6.info.
When I read your review and you talk about the very good graphics then I want to see a good, uncompressed screenshot demonstrating these graphics.
The opening sentence of your first review is:

Sector 51 is a great space game where you actually fight your enemies. It may seem like a normal space-shooter game, but it isn’t; it is full of excitement.

I am now wondering, gosh exciting game play, tell me more. You actually fight enemies, how's that.
Unfortunately this one line is all information I get about the gameplay of the game. (your chapter gameplay should be called controls).
What is this game about, what info do you give to back up your first catchy intro line. The only info I see about what kind of game it is beside this line is that it's somewhat simular to Freelancer. I want to know what this game is about. Good gameplay is what counts for me and still several other people who claim that is important. I am not saying that graphics, music, controls, originality and everything is not important but the main thing I look for in a review is the gameplay. You had an attempt to discuss this in your factor story but you manage to make that line completely uninformative.

A picture says more then 100 words so when I start reading the review of mad house I want a basic screenshot of the gameplay which directly tells me what kind of game this is. It takes me from the start at page 4 all the way to page 6 until I see one badly scaled down screenshot of the game while you are already discussing an other game.

At that moment I just gave up reading and as I'm not very interested in reading how great gm6.info is which the other chapters appear to be on first sight I just wasted my time finding a program to open a 7z file, downloading a huge file for a magazine and trying to find something interesting.
"Most Game Maker games kinda suck. Donkers has proven that it's not the tool that determines the quality of the game, but the developer." ~Gamespy
[ B2 ] [ BLOG ] [ NL ] [ EN ] [ GAMES ] [ EO ] [ GM ] [ GMi ]

There are few people who know enough to know how little they actually know

#9 Dragongames

Dragongames

Comitar

• 162 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:11 PM

Simon, we have a self-extracting EXE as well. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Remember guys, this is the "Official magazine of GM6.info". It isn't shameless self promotion, these are articles to inform people about us. If we were just a generic "Game Maker Magazine" then I would see it as being conceded, but we aren't. We use this method to get the word out about GM6.info as well.

I actually meant to remove the Comitar ad, I disbanded the company to focus on producing my movie. That should not have been in there. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The Mozilla ad is there because it is (as we all know :P ) a great browser. Robin is involved in the project and we figured Markup would be another way to "spread the fox".

I understand this issue was mostly "GM6.info" and "Reviews". However, it boils down to the fact that we need input from the community on what you would like to see. All you are saying is you want more interesting content; without telling us what kind of content.

As for the semi-false advertising on H Unit, heh. I had made that in Photoshop two months in advance and lost the PSD and PNG files due to corruption. The only way I had it was in MS Word so I couldn't edit anything.

And to those of you who enjoy it, I'm glad!

EDIT: Mad House not having a screenshot was my fault. We selected a review from our review section from the site and I never made sure to include a screenshot. I am completely sorry!

Chris

Edited by Dragongames, 09 August 2005 - 01:16 PM.

#10 Eyas

Eyas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:28 PM

We are also supposed to have an "Interview with Damaged" it is missing, I wonder why.

#11 Dragongames

Dragongames

Comitar

• 162 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:48 PM

Hehe, sorry guys. Turns out in the rush to finish this there is still missing content.

Expect Markup 2.1 soon!

#12 Flashback

Flashback

Lord of the Ferrets

• 489 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:07 PM

Simon, we have a self-extracting EXE as well.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Remember guys, this is the "Official magazine of GM6.info".  It isn't shameless self promotion, these are articles to inform people about us.  If we were just a generic "Game Maker Magazine" then I would see it as being conceded, but we aren't.  We use this method to get the word out about GM6.info as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It isn't "informing" any more when you have a third of your articles about yourself.

The Mozilla ad is there because it is (as we all know :P ) a great browser.  Robin is involved in the project and we figured Markup would be another way to "spread the fox".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This seems to diss the internet explorer users. While I do use firefox, those who use IE may be offended that THEY are not represented, and that the magazine is pushing them towards Firefox. Not everyone likes having that happen.

I understand this issue was mostly "GM6.info" and "Reviews".  However, it boils down to the fact that we need input from the community on what you would like to see.  All you are saying is you want more interesting content; without telling us what kind of content.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You had a magazine focused on the reviews... So you fired all the reviewers you had but one? I mean, c'mon, you just had to ask us to do a review of a game for the magazine (That was the problem - nobody wanted to just search out a random game - you should be telling us EXACTLY what to do. otherwise it's like putting an astronaut on a rocket and telling him to go some random place and observe it).

About the "lack of requests" - I don't beleive you actually ever put out a formal request for Ideas. Also, you should be able to figure out if you have something interesting - ask your staff.

As for the semi-false advertising on H Unit, heh.  I had made that in Photoshop two months in advance and lost the PSD and PNG files due to corruption.  The only way I had it was in MS Word so I couldn't edit anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why couldn't you redesign the cover? This is just saying you're lazy and therefore it's OK to use that old cover. I mean, come on, a new cover'd take a few minutes in photoshop (and don't tell me this magazine has a tight development schedual - this thing is nearly half a year behind the times).

#13 harr

harr

GMC Member

• 125 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:22 PM

The Mozilla ad is there because it is (as we all know tongue.gif ) a great browser.  Robin is involved in the project and we figured Markup would be another way to "spread the fox".

This seems to diss the internet explorer users. While I do use firefox, those who use IE may be offended that THEY are not represented, and that the magazine is pushing them towards Firefox. Not everyone likes having that happen.

Why not have one page giving advantages and disadvantages of each browser (with a pro-IE person for the advantages of IE+disadvantages of firefox, and a pro-firefox person doing advantages of firefox+disadvantages of IE). That's fair and, if firefox is superior, will help firefox.

#14 Dragongames

Dragongames

Comitar

• 162 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:14 PM

I hardly think that having an ad for Firefox is "dissing" Internet Explorer. If I went around pointing out all the disadvantages to using IE, saying Microsoft was scum, etc., then I would see your point clearly. However we didn't do that. We simply placed an ad that states the fact that Firefox is open source, and reiterated that anyone can change it. The GMC is largely made up of programmers, this is target marketing.

And we fired all the reviewers except Andreas because he is the only one who ever writes reviews more than once every month.

Edited by Dragongames, 09 August 2005 - 04:16 PM.

#15 toopz

toopz

Spriter

• 782 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:32 PM

I did read the section on H Unit.

Overall I'm with catdaemon, it's not the subjects that are bad, but the writing is bland and amateur. I still don't see why you need ads. as most readers tend to not like having ads taking up space, and well it's not you like need something to sponsor you.

The cover was really weird too. That dude just looked scary. :P

#16 Dragongames

Dragongames

Comitar

• 162 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:45 PM

That cover was a stock photo, I was having trouble picking a picture that fit so I just selected that because it was close to what I wanted.

#17 toopz

toopz

Spriter

• 782 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:42 PM

Alright then. I think I'm going to print that cover out and put the portion with the dude's face on my door, to freak out anyone going to my room. The cover itself wasn't bad...but that stock photo is one that'll create nightmares, possibly even more than adam west did as batman. (yes I have "Batman: The Movie," it's the most hilarious thing in the world)

whoops, that got a little off topic.

#18 Abyssal_Nuclei

Abyssal_Nuclei

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1695 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:36 AM

It was boring, I don't really know why, I think that the writing style didn't get ahold of my attention. It seemed to me like the only thing other then reviews in the magazine were copys of chats made between an interviewer and someone else, I think that next time you should try to write a more brief summary of the chat with quotes interspersed throughout the summary. This would make the articles alot more interesting.

~Abyss
America needs fewer laws, not more prisons.

The Ideal is attainable; We, as America, need to stop settling.

Our God is an awesome God!

#19 YoMamasMama

YoMamasMama

Your Grandma

• 437 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 07:07 AM

Not saying I don't appreciate a review, but the Hold Off Red review was very badly written. Lots of word repetition and it used a very limited vocabulary... and on top of that it didn't really explain much of what the game was about.

As has been said the H Unit article isn't the huge, revealing interview it is hyped up to be. It'd be more aptly named as "An interview with an H Unit member" or "An interview with the creator of Bacteria 2" depending on which angle you're trying to take there.

That's all I read because I was low on time, but I can see this mag being better in later issues... so far it is lacking quite a bit.
~ Matt Makes Games ~
Click above for my games, including Jumper Three, Hold Off Red, An Untitled Story, and FLaiL.
An Untitled Story GMC topic
FLaiL GMC topic
Jumper Three GMC Topic
~ EO ~ MMGF ~

#20 Zaboo

Zaboo

Zaboo Pwns All

• 133 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:37 PM

I prefer the Game Maker Data Magazine instead.

#21 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:41 PM

It was alright... The writing definitely needs some work, but it was slightly interesting. You should continue with this, and eventually it will be pretty good, I think. :blink:

#22 Eyas

Eyas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 03:04 PM

Please keep in mind that Markup 2.1 will be released due to many missing content, what you see now in the Magazine is not the whole thing.

We have a tutorial introducing people to GM, a review, and an interview, plus a few more things. Sorry for the inconvinience.

#23 Dragongames

Dragongames

Comitar

• 162 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:40 AM

And I will be going through and re-editing the stories, as it seems people want snappy text.

Jeez, people these days....

Chris
Confused Editor, Markup

#24 Flashback

Flashback

Lord of the Ferrets

• 489 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:36 PM

I don't see your point in the post above... you're supposed to be appealing to the PEOPLE, no? And so you should give them what they find appealing.

#25 PromaneX

PromaneX

Fixer of broken web things

• 489 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:04 PM

I think you have all been rather harsh on the mag. you are complaining that the writing style is like that of an amateur. Well guess what, they ARE amateurs and they did all this in their spare time. I think they have done a good job of the magazine and I am proud to be a part of it.

#26 Flashback

Flashback

Lord of the Ferrets

• 489 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:33 PM

This is presented as a supposedly professional item, promanex, so people are expecting what it is preseted to be.

#27 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:37 AM

I don't think anyone was trying to be particularly harsh, I think they did a great job, and after I started reading it, it had me reading a lot more than I thought I would.

I just think the writing could have been proofread, or passed through an editor person of sorts before "publishing," just to get the grammar and word usage up to a higher level.

#28 Dragongames

Dragongames

Comitar

• 162 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:49 AM

I don't see your point in the post above... you're supposed to be appealing to the PEOPLE, no? And so you should give them what they find appealing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, it was a joke, I should have thrown a smily in there.

:whistle:

:D

And for the record, it's true, none of us are professionals. We do this because it's fun and because it gives us a sense of helping the Game Maker community.

I can't guarantee Markup 2.1 within the next two days because we found a lot that we didn't know existed before, so I have a lot of editing to do.

In the mean time, you could check out our newly skinned forums.

Edited by Dragongames, 12 August 2005 - 02:01 AM.

#29 J_B

J_B

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:37 AM

I think the file size is huge fore a mere magazine, considering most games are under 4 megs! To make the reviews more interseting just use a thesorous or somthing. Also the ads were fine, Firefox is much better than IE so its good that you share the wealth. IE has nothing over Firefox, but great mag keep up the good work!

I Remember The Rain An interactive short story
jordnb.com

#30 soccerdude3465

soccerdude3465

3D Graphical Artist

• 220 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:47 AM

I liked the magazine, that is what I will say first off. Now, the writing seemed like a bunch of young adults coming together to write a magazine. Anyone can write, but that doesn't mean they can clearly state their ideas, and express themselves, and still make it interesting to read. Not to down anyone who wrote for the magazine, experience, and mastery will come with time.