• Please log in to reply
2610 replies to this topic

#1 coderchris

coderchris

GMC Member

• 332 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:48 PM

As I promised, I am releasing a beta on christmas :P

Its not as complete as I would have liked it to be, but I released it with everything that I though was stable enough for testing.

Download V5 Prebeta

Some words on the prebeta:

It could be considered more of a tech demo considering how much is still missing. I have been doing more work with the physics library rather than the actual gamemaker wrapper, which is why alot of things are still missing. But dont worry, In a week or so I should have the rest of the missing functionality as well as fragmentation restored

There are only a few simple examples, nothing spectacular, but it will give you something to play around with for the next week or so while I finish making a proper beta release.

Obviosly there will be some bugs and mishaps, but do realize that im using my own homegrown physics library for this version that i have only been working on for a few months, not a proffessional library that has been in the making for years like V5 :blink:

So bear with me for a while as I try to get all the functionality from V4 into V5. Most of the main functionality is there, it just needs some of the more minor functions as well as the fragmentation and a bunch of bug fixes.

P.S.
Someone please recomend to Mark that he make drawing textured
triangles much much muuuch faster....its making my soft bodies
run very slow in gamemaker, not because the simulation is slow,
but because gamemaker takes forever to draw a few measley
triangles :)

Edited by coderchris, 25 December 2007 - 10:00 AM.

#2 andrewmc

andrewmc

GMC Member

• 440 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:56 PM

This is a very nice physics engine. I beta tested a couple of versions for him, and I liked it from the start. It's very easy yet very realistic physics.

#3 MACARRAUM

MACARRAUM

GMC Member

• 270 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:02 AM

great physics engine man!!!

Add some joints functions.

It´s use TrueAxis Physical Lib?

Edited by MACARRAUM, 22 July 2005 - 12:13 AM.

#4 coderchris

coderchris

GMC Member

• 332 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:13 AM

Thanks
Actualy i made it from scratch following a rigid body physics tutorial...thats why the dll is so small. I havent found one explaining joints very well yet but im going to add that next as soon as i find one

#5 MACARRAUM

MACARRAUM

GMC Member

• 270 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:22 AM

check this site: 2D and 3D Dynamics

It´s have joints explanations, and examples.

#6 coderchris

coderchris

GMC Member

• 332 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:27 AM

hey, thanks alot :P
this is just what I neeed

#7 MACARRAUM

MACARRAUM

GMC Member

• 270 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:31 AM

needing aid, it can order a message :P

#8 stump_corey

stump_corey

GMC Member

• 303 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:42 AM

will this work gm5 my laptop supports only gm5 and this looks good
make me a gm5 version

#9 coderchris

coderchris

GMC Member

• 332 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:45 AM

unforunately, it wouldnt work with gm5 because gm5 does not support sprite rotation and that is required...
If you have a reg. key you should get gm6, it is much better

#10 Omega Metroid

Omega Metroid

GMC Member

• 1706 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:46 AM

Make it for GM5... -sighs- that or I'm gonna be up all night trying to get this to work for GM5. I lost my reg code for my GM6 [it lagged my comp anyhow]

Here I go

Zee Hero

Edited by Zee Hero, 22 July 2005 - 12:47 AM.

The purpose of this board is to help others. Do your best to do so.

If you have a problem, first check the forums if there is already a topic. If not, think a moment if there would be a nice tutorial to help you out with your issue then look for it. If not, Gather all the details you can, and then make a post in the novice and intermediate boards. If the topic doesn't get resolved there, ask a mod to move it to advanced. Remember, we're all trying to help each other here.

#11 coderchris

coderchris

GMC Member

• 332 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:50 AM

Im sure it can be done...the only thing you realy have to do is get it to rotate correctly

#12 Omega Metroid

Omega Metroid

GMC Member

• 1706 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:52 AM

If I do it, can I send it to you so you can distribute it?

[Zee Hero]

If you have a problem, first check the forums if there is already a topic. If not, think a moment if there would be a nice tutorial to help you out with your issue then look for it. If not, Gather all the details you can, and then make a post in the novice and intermediate boards. If the topic doesn't get resolved there, ask a mod to move it to advanced. Remember, we're all trying to help each other here.

#13 coderchris

coderchris

GMC Member

• 332 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:05 AM

Sure thing, that would be great

#14 Omega Metroid

Omega Metroid

GMC Member

• 1706 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:08 AM

This is tricky, it might be an all nighter. It probably would help if I had any idea what this DLL does [or how they work] or even how to fake it in GM5. Well, now's a good enough time to learn as any.

[Zee Hero]

#15 coderchris

coderchris

GMC Member

• 332 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:13 AM

Now that i think about it, all you would have to do is modify
the "update_object" script

you could modify the last line in that script from
self.image_angle = get_body_rotation(argument0);

to somthing like

self.image_single = get_body_rotation(argument0) mod self.image_number;

and make sure that the sprite has some animation of it rotating

there might be more but thats all i can think of atm

Edited by coderchris, 22 July 2005 - 01:14 AM.

#16 arcooke

arcooke

GMC Member

• 1055 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:30 AM

Very nice engine, but there's a leak in it somewhere. I got the engine to lock up twice.

Both times by creating objects as fast as I could. Completely locks up the game and shoots cpu usage up to 99%

#17 coderchris

coderchris

GMC Member

• 332 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:35 AM

ewww...ill have to find out were that leak is. Do you know of any way to find it easily?

#18 Shaltif

Shaltif

The Audio Master

• GMC Elder
  • 1185 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:17 AM

Very nice engine, but there's a leak in it somewhere.  I got the engine to lock up twice.

Both times by creating objects as fast as I could.  Completely locks up the game and shoots cpu usage up to 99%

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also noticed this when posting a lot of objects at once...but I don't think that's the full issue. I noticed that if I clicked to create a new object at the EXACT same spot, it appeared to crash. This might be due to a collision method going into an infinate loop of sorts?

Btw, very very nice little engine you got here coderchris. I might actually use this for future applications...if you can fix this bug =).

~Brandon

#19 arcooke

arcooke

GMC Member

• 1055 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:44 AM

I've been playing around with the physics (it's so much fun lol). I'm curious if you have any plans to add some sort of bounce value to created bodies. That would be a good addition to the already great physics.

#20 coderchris

coderchris

GMC Member

• 332 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:48 AM

I also noticed this when posting a lot of objects at once...but I don't think that's the full issue. I noticed that if I clicked to create a new object at the EXACT same spot, it appeared to crash. This might be due to a collision method going into an infinate loop of sorts?

Now that you mention it, it may be an infinite loop...ill check up on this and see. I kinda hope it is because its an easy fix :P

About a bounce factor, you can already somewhat do this. In the create event of the control object, you can put set_restitution(value) to set the bouncyness. It mainly effects boxes but it is noticable for other objects also

#21 lewa

lewa

GMC Member

• 587 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:57 PM

POLYGONS?!?!?!?!?!?
YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!

-auto adjusting physics step time based on FPS
This is completely awsome. I like to run my creations at 60 fps, so this is perfect. It also deals well with any lag!

Just a suggestion, try using Rocketsoft as an uploader instead :P

Supercilious, I know. Sorry. I blame GIMP.

#22 coderchris

coderchris

GMC Member

• 332 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:47 PM

-auto adjusting physics step time based on FPS
This is completely awsome. I like to run my creations at 60 fps, so this is perfect. It also deals well with any lag!

Just a suggestion, try using Rocketsoft as an uploader instead

#23 Cynical

Cynical

Inside the Cynic

• 423 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:55 PM

This is easily the most useful physics DLL I have seen on these forums, good work!

#24 stump_corey

stump_corey

GMC Member

• 303 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:02 PM

sorry for posting 15 posts later but my laptop does not support gm6

#25 HaRRiKiRi

HaRRiKiRi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1364 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:15 PM

You sould use Ripway.com for filehosting. Becose i can't download your dll.

Edited by HaRRiKiRi, 22 July 2005 - 03:57 PM.

#26 scream681

scream681

Nick Larin

• 1152 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:37 PM

I cant download it either, it looks very cool. Hope you can fix it soon. :P .

Posted Image

#27 PromaneX

PromaneX

Fixer of broken web things

• 489 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:35 PM

this is a great dll i cant wait untill the bug is gone so that i can make a game out of it, i had fun making a convayor belf for the boxes to go along, used spinning balls trapped by lines and dropped the boxes ontop! :P

great work :blink:

#28 LauriP

LauriP

-Halinalle-

• 474 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:52 PM

This is awesome !
And now you have made my dream come true ! Triangle collisions....
:P
When can we use this ? :blink: :)

#29 scream681

scream681

Nick Larin

• 1152 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:52 PM

I got the downlad to work (copied paster link to DAP, firefox didnt download it).

Great work, I hope you will be able to get rid of the bug tha tcrashed the game after some time. I will use the dll someday, im sure :P .

Posted Image

#30 Adam

Adam

Potato chip

• 755 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:57 PM

Okay I don't post here much (not at all for ages) but there's a really good chance i'll be DL'ing this. I need this for box physics for my game for it would be a lot easier then calculating the physics by hand.

Maybe now I can work to make more physics based games.

#31 coderchris

coderchris

GMC Member

• 332 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for all the comments -_-

About that problem the slows it down: ive pinpointed it to a couple lines and its just a matter of time before i figure out how to fix it.
I also have disovered a way to get rid of the "slippyness" that causes objects to slowely move around on their on and make stacks fall.
And further, I have increased the speed tremendously - you can now have over 500 spheres (half the screen) and the fps stays at 30!

All I have to do before I release V1 is fix a couple bugs (especialy the big one)
and I want to add the ability to make concave polygons and make it easier to use the create_object function.
Unfortunatly, im leaving for vactation later today so I wont be able to release it for about another week...

You are free to use it to make games if you want, it should be mostly backwards compatible (major changes will be with the create_object)

Also, I have uplaoded it to rocketsoft but I dont know how to actualy download it ::lmao:: if anybody can help me out, The Filename is GMPhysics.zip and the name i put is CoderChris
if anybody can help me.

EDIT: I added a link to Ripway (thanks harrikiri)
Download Link 2

Edited by coderchris, 22 July 2005 - 08:24 PM.

#32 NetCept

NetCept

GMC Member

• 77 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 08:29 PM

Yes ::lmao:: Finally an easy engine that is useable -_-

I found a new topic to stare at this week

KEEP UP THE AWSOME JOB!!! B)

EDIT = Well, because this is the easiest way to do rag-doll im gonna use your engine..So far im gonna use obj as joints until you put in your dll(if you are gonna put joints)

Edited by NetCept, 22 July 2005 - 08:36 PM.

#33 coderchris

coderchris

GMC Member

• 332 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 08:58 PM

yes, the next thing after i achieve max stability and speed (V1.0) im going to add:
-joints (sliding and hinge/ball)
-constraints
-rope
-auto polygon generation from sprite
-welding bodies together

#34 Adam

Adam

Potato chip

• 755 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:35 PM

For the create_object thing, just one question

Do they have to be their own object you create with code or can you simply attatch it to a current GM object you place in a room?

#35 coderchris

coderchris

GMC Member

• 332 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:48 PM

well, whenever you call create_body, a new physics object is created. it returns the handle so you can manipulate it.
for example, if you say

global.handle = create_body(0,0,SHAPE_BOX,32,32);

a physics object will be created at position (0,0) with size (32,32) but has nothing to do with any gm object...now, if you had a gm object box and in the step event you put

update_object(global.handle);

the gm object will update its position and rotation in accordance with that of the physics object.

physics handles are global

hope that answers your question it was kinda a long responce ::lmao::

UPDATE: Thanks to Corey Edwards, I now have a site on which pics and future updates will be posted/hosted. check every so often for updates
This is the Link (gm-physics.cjb.net)

Edited by coderchris, 22 July 2005 - 09:54 PM.

#36 Corey Edwards

Corey Edwards

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:51 PM

Yeppers, thats right folks. Anywho, I just wanted to let ya know that the site is under construction and SHOULD be up by the beginning of the week. But, since Chris will be away for a week or so, I wont be able to check in with him on things.
Exclusive GMC hosting package coming soon from Aerocore Networks.
Join Aerocore Game Studios! We're recruiting!

#37 MACARRAUM

MACARRAUM

GMC Member

• 270 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:56 PM

sounds cool, make it one great physics dll, make it with support for 3D if possible ::lmao::

#38 andrewmc

andrewmc

GMC Member

• 440 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:37 AM

sounds cool, make it one great physics dll, make it with support for 3D if possible ::lmao::

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, OpenGL -_-

#39 foslock

foslock

Do you concurr?

• 716 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:52 AM

Very, nicely done... looks professionally made!
Proud Member of 64Digits. Join NOW!

If you need any kind of help with anything GML related (cept for 3D) Please IM at Foslock on AIM.

#40 NetCept

NetCept

GMC Member

• 77 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:54 AM

yes, the next thing after i achieve max stability and speed (V1.0) im going to add:
-joints (sliding and hinge/ball)
-constraints
-rope
-auto polygon generation from sprite
-welding bodies together

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

::lmao:: MAN this ROCKS!!! :D :D

Can't hardly wait for this -_-

#41 PromaneX

PromaneX

Fixer of broken web things

• 489 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:29 PM

im glad to hear that the sliding around thingy has been solved cas that was kinda annoying! cant wait to make a game based around this and php its gonna kick bottom , thanks man

#42 Adam

Adam

Potato chip

• 755 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:23 PM

When is 1.0 coming out, i'll most surely make sure I download this as soon as this is revealed with it's bug fixes and features and all.

#43 coderchris

coderchris

GMC Member

• 332 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:22 PM

Im leaving for vacation in a couple hours and will be back in a bout a week. At that time it'll probly be ready for release

#44 Adam

Adam

Potato chip

• 755 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:28 PM

That would be good, sometimes it's good to get away from things.

Hope to see the release when you get back :(

#45 Spikehead777

Spikehead777

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 496 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:58 PM

Wow, an easy to use physics .dll! I think now we'll see more pinball games because of this .dll. One problem though. When I place lots of objects in the same spot, the little simulation thing freezes. Anything you can do about this?

#46 Shaltif

Shaltif

The Audio Master

• GMC Elder
  • 1185 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:02 PM

Wow, an easy to use physics .dll! I think now we'll see more pinball games because of this .dll. One problem though. When I place lots of objects in the same spot, the little simulation thing freezes. Anything you can do about this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This has been reported already, so he knows about it =). I came to the conclusion that it might be an infinate loop collision type deal when putting 2 objects at the exact same position.

Fun little engine =)

~Brandon

#47 coderchris

coderchris

GMC Member

• 332 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:02 PM

Its because of a bug in the dll. When 2 objects are in the exact same spot it gets into an infinite loop. It will be fixed with version 1

#48 Adam

Adam

Potato chip

• 755 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:23 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or see more realistic physics in a lot of GM games, it's happened before, you know when all those online DLL's came out and all of a sudden there were games all over with online play and highscores.

#49 Firewolf

Firewolf

GMC Member

• 56 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:40 PM

Cool......

I like this engine, and the things your going to add sound great too!

So far, i've spent most of my time making little paths for the balls to roll on, an then smacking the bodies around with an egg!

although, my only problem is that the mouse wont go ave the the bottom and far right of the screen..... it's very annyoing.

#50 Spikehead777

Spikehead777

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 496 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 July 2005 - 09:32 PM

Oh, the bug was already reported? Hmm...I guess I didn't see it. I think my browser is acting up on me again...only showing part of the forum/topic/whatever.