96 replies to this topic

#1 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:51 PM

This project is discontinued. Please use GM Bassmod instead.

Hello,

It's finally there - the endlessly postponed update of JBFMOD, version 2. This extension has all you need if you wish to play MOD/S3M/XM/IT type songs in your game.

The original (dating back 3 1/2 years!) can still be found at the official Game Maker website, and it was hopelessly outdated. It was written for GM 4 - this is the GM 5 and 6 release. With your testing help I hope to have this one included on the GM main pages again.

It's a rewrite from scratch, since the original source was lost. It contains many improvements:
  • Songs can be stored in protected pack files (pack application included)
  • Improved spectrum abilities
  • Includes all FMOD playback capabilities for MOD music
  • Games can now respond to instruments and so-called Zxx commands (see demo)
  • Two brand new demos
Download JBFMOD.ZIP (1.7 MB)

Requires a registered version of GM 5 or GM 6.

Note: the demos only play on GM6!

Thanks go out to all those game makers that used JBFMOD in the past.

Have fun,

Smarty

Edited by Smarty, 22 January 2008 - 12:52 AM.

#2 Scooternew

Scooternew

GMC Member

• 1325 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:53 PM

wat r MOD / S3M / XM / IT files and what do they do? and sxm media player is better and can do these things :D sry :(

#3 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:01 PM

wat r MOD / S3M / XM / IT files and what do they do? and sxm media player is better and can do these things :D sry :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you actually try anything, mr. reply-2-minutes-later?

It's not intended as a player, it's intended as a GM extension. Shaltif's DLL offers the full range of FMOD capabilities, I concentrate on tracker songs only and have added some functionality of my own. We're in different leagues. :P

Smarty

#4 Porfirio

Porfirio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1209 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:01 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wath??

this dll id amazzing!!!!

and load the music direct from pack is amazzing i love this dll and themediapleyer is cute too!!

#5 SleeK GeeK

SleeK GeeK

The Biggest And The Best

• 769 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:51 AM

cool dll again, Smarty.

#6 darthlupi

darthlupi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:57 AM

Just converted The Cleaner over to the new JFMOD.DLL funk. I will be sure to let tapeworm know about the advent of this beauty as well.

Thank you! I'll report any bugs I find to you ASAP!

#7 Scooternew

Scooternew

GMC Member

• 1325 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:02 AM

ok - i will ask again since nobody seems to want to just answer a question: wat r MOD / S3M / XM / IT files and what do they do? thanks

#8 Shaltif

Shaltif

The Audio Master

• GMC Elder
  • 1185 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:30 AM

ok - i will ask again since nobody seems to want to just answer a question: wat r MOD / S3M / XM / IT files and what do they do? thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MOD / S3M / XM / IT are audio files formats, kinda a hybrid between sequenced and sample / stream audio (kinda like mixing midi with wav).

Mod's are sequenced or tracked similar to midi, but the difference is that you aren't limited to the midi table of a sound card. Mod's can use any sample / instrument you wish to include.

Smarty, I'm glad to see you finally updated this old thing :D. I would use it...except I already got my own to mess with. Now I can point people to this DLL when they just want MOD support, rather then trying to help them use the SXMS, which I note about being fairly complex.

Which also brings up a point. Everyone, although SXMS and JBFMOD use Fmod as it's core, we're both going in our own directions. So try to avoid calling one better than the other, as were not competeing here. Were just trying to give GM Users some alternatives when it comes to audio playback. (Xception needs to update XGM_AMP and it would be like old times)

Well, with that, I continue on with my moderating. Good job, once again. Your original was what got me started on the SXMS way back when :(.

~Brandon

#9 arcooke

arcooke

GMC Member

• 1055 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:34 AM

Smarty... wow... I'm impressed.. ESPECIALLY that PAK idea.. that's awesome.

GREAT job.

Can we have an editable to demonstrate simply how to play background music?

#10 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 09:19 AM

Thanks you all for the positive remarks.

Scooternew, Shaltif has already explained it - but if you downloaded it already you could have found this information in the manual too. I wonder why I keep bothering to write documentation... :D

Just converted The Cleaner over to the new JFMOD.DLL funk.

That's quick! I hope the changed command set wasn't providing any difficulties, but I felt I had to change the style a bit to reflect GML more.

Also, I recently found on the FMOD site that the dreaded SoundBlaster Live issue is just a case of bad drivers on the part of SoundBlaster. One should be able to update those.

I will be sure to let tapeworm know about the advent of this beauty as well.

Thank you!  I'll report any bugs I find to you ASAP!

I actually intended on sending you guys a little PM about it since you've both used it to great extend in the past, guess I don't have to anymore. :lol: Looking forward to your feedback.

Smarty, I'm glad to see you finally updated this old thing :P.

Yes, things took some time - especially the complete rewrite, the pack files and the girlfriend. :(

I would use it...except I already got my own to mess with.  Now I can point people to this DLL when they just want MOD support, rather then trying to help them use the SXMS, which I note about being fairly complex.

And if someone starts complaining that it should contain more FMOD support, I'll point them to you - if they haven't found you already, SXMS has taken an amazing flight since it took off.

Which also brings up a point.  Everyone, although SXMS and JBFMOD use Fmod as it's core, we're both going in our own directions.  So try to avoid calling one better than the other, as were not competeing here.  Were just trying to give GM Users some alternatives when it comes to audio playback.  (Xception needs to update XGM_AMP and it would be like old times)

Thank you for pointing that out, I hope it's being picked up. I can understand the confusion, though - some possibilities are similar.

Well, with that, I continue on with my moderating.  Good job, once again.  Your original was what got me started on the SXMS way back when :lol:.

Nice to have been an inspiration of some kind. Mom will never believe it. :P

Smarty... wow... I'm impressed.. ESPECIALLY that PAK idea.. that's awesome.

GREAT job. 

Can we have an editable to demonstrate simply how to play background music?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. Actually, the manual contains step-by-step instructions on doing just that. I just hoped that that would have been clear enough?

Smarty

#11 ckv

ckv

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:50 AM

I'll sacrifice a puppy to celebrate. :D

#12 darthlupi

darthlupi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:43 PM

Yes,

Sacrificing a puppy is what allowed me to convert the cleaner over faster.

Actually, the similarities between the command structure in JFMOD and SXMS were not too far off. I think for loading songs there was a just a extra variable to pass in SXMS. Then just wax the libraries (I mean scripts) directory from one and import from the other.

It seems to be less resource intensive compared to SXMS. Is this because it is intended only for mod music? I am curious if this is correct. Some of my games are getting a bit on the bloated whale side, and that is the side that I try to avoid.

#13 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:40 PM

Actually, the similarities between the command structure in JFMOD and SXMS were not too far off. I think for loading songs there was a just a extra variable to pass in SXMS. Then just wax the libraries (I mean scripts) directory from one and import from the other.

We're both based on the same library. I imagine we mostly copied the function names from FMOD. I had to invent a few new ones, though. :D

It seems to be less resource intensive compared to SXMS. Is this because it is intended only for mod music? I am curious if this is correct. Some of my games are getting a bit on the bloated whale side, and that is the side that I try to avoid.

I can't really tell since I don't know what Shaltif's DLL does, inside, but I bet it's mostly directly addressing the FMOD libraries. Just having more functions to address shouldn't make it much more resource intensive, unless you're adressing a lot of the functionality at the same time. Besides that I don't know what Shaltif makes it do on the side.

Smarty

#14 Hyun

Hyun

Pixel Fiend

• 27 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 01:19 PM

Brilliant work Smarty, this re-write is not just an update, but an excellent feature set which seems brand new. Escpecially with the flexibility of GM being able to react to Zxx commands.

Shaltif is right about how it's wrong to compare his dll with Smarty's. They are both brilliant in their own right, where Shaltif's dll is for people who require power audio for many file formats and features, and to create an amazing aural experience. Whereas JBFMod has a plug in and play kind of theology dedicated to MODs, and allows for flexibility and enhancement later on (Kinda like GML!)

Great work, I really have been awaiting this dll for a long time, and it's great to see it back in action. I always have used this, and will continue to do so in the future.

Rock on JBFMod man! :D

#15 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the positive comments, mr Hyun. Hopes this gives another positive boost to using MOD tracks in games. Any issues can be reported here - I'll be sure to update the file package with fixes (and that includes improvements to the manual).

Rock on JBFMod man!

That's why there are rock songs included. :D

Smarty

#16 Bowex

Bowex

Digital-X

• 462 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:35 PM

you finally did it version 2.0 great job !

#17 Scooternew

Scooternew

GMC Member

• 1325 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:37 PM

thanks, sry, i just didnt want to download it

:D - looks cool though, keep up good work

#18 DarkSoft

DarkSoft

GMC Member

• 125 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 05:13 AM

I'm making a music player with this dll! at the moment its pretty lame but it'll pick up soon! also can i use some of the demo songs and give credit (already have to for dll)

#19 Eyas

Eyas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:05 AM

Great, great, great work smarty! This is really excellent, I like it alot! I don't know what to say more than that.. it is just simply great. :) ;) ;)

Eyas Sharaiha (eyas-sharaiha.com);
previous projects include: GMking.org, MarkUp Magazine.

#20 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:17 AM

thanks, sry, i just didnt want to download it

:wub: - looks cool though, keep up good work

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you, but criticism is appreciated better if you actually have seen something. :)

I'm making a music player with this dll! at the moment its pretty lame but it'll pick up soon! also can i use some of the demo songs and give credit (already have to for dll)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The demo songs are not done by me, so I don't need credit. Also, just about all of the songs are in the pack file, so you can't really use those individually unless you download them from somewhere.

A real player doesn't have to include songs, so why include them? But if you need any, there are thousands of tunes available at The MOD archive.

Great, great, great work smarty! This is really excellent, I like it alot! I don't know what to say more than that.. it is just simply great. ;)  ;)  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's OK. Gratitude can always be expressed by a little credit in a game that uses it. :D

Smarty

#21 Freezair

Freezair

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:08 PM

Woooooweee! :) It's here! it's here! it's finally here! Oooh, I feel like a little kid at Christmas. I've been waiting for this! Today, I was spending an unfortunate amount of time trying to be "clever" with the old JBFMOD .DLL, trying to get it to do something not directly supported by the old one, and then I see this and it just makes things sooooooo much easier for me. Thank you! This is Way Rockness.

All hail .mod looping!

#22 RhysAndrews

RhysAndrews

Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2013 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:41 AM

wat r MOD / S3M / XM / IT files and what do they do? and sxm media player is better and can do these things  sry

JBFMod was made over a year earlier than SXM Media Player. JBFmod is my hero and i dont like SXM Media Player :D

banner4.jpg

#23 static

static

Gamecave Coder

• 691 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 07:35 PM

sweet , i been looking into mod music for my games now... um do you think you will ever have nsf support or sfs files?

#24 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:02 PM

Woooooweee!  :chikin It's here! it's here! it's finally here! Oooh, I feel like a little kid at Christmas. I've been waiting for this! Today, I was spending an unfortunate amount of time trying to be "clever" with the old JBFMOD .DLL, trying to get it to do something not directly supported by the old one, and then I see this and it just makes things sooooooo much easier for me. Thank you! This is Way Rockness.

All hail .mod looping!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I first created JBFMOD, looping wasn't included in FMOD yet. Now it is, so I just ported it. But the big jobs were actually the other new features. :D

JBFMod was made over a year earlier than SXM Media Player. JBFmod is my hero and i dont like SXM Media Player :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Errr - it's no comparison, see above. Glad you like it, though.

sweet , i been looking into mod music for my games now... um do you think you will ever have nsf support or sfs files?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This ports FMOD support for MOD/S3M/XM/IT, so no. I haven't looked into it, maybe Shaltif's package supports it. :skull: He seems to be supporting a lot of other audio formats as well.

Smarty

#25 Shaltif

Shaltif

The Audio Master

• GMC Elder
  • 1185 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 03:45 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SXMS2 does support the NSF format. Never heard of the SFS format, but if you can find a winamp plugin for it, then SXMS2 can more than likely play that as well. I'll take a look into that further to see what I can find out about it.

JBFMod was made over a year earlier than SXM Media Player. JBFmod is my hero and i dont like SXM Media Player

tsk, tsk. I thought I covered this already, oh well. At least get the name of my media player right :D

Smarty, that packing idea is really cool. But I was confused as to why there is a 64 mod limit? I made a similar packing system for my console command application (for any file format, not just mods or audio) which allows for an infinate amount of files to be packed into a single file for easier distribution. I assume your limit has something to do with it's compression / encryption method? This is just more of a curiousity, so if you don't have time to explain, don't feel like you need to :skull:.

~Brandon

#26 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 11:11 AM

Smarty, that packing idea is really cool.  But I was confused as to why there is a 64 mod limit?  I made a similar packing system for my console command application (for any file format, not just mods or audio) which allows for an infinate amount of files to be packed into a single file for easier distribution.  I assume your limit has something to do with it's compression / encryption method?  This is just more of a curiousity, so if you don't have time to explain, don't feel like you need to :D.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem in explaining. :skull: It's encryption only, not compression. I wanted to include compression, but the better compression routines I found would have bloated the JBFMOD DLL, which I wanted to keep small and tidy, or meant including additional libraries.

I won't go too much into the details here ("three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead", said he to his companions, and knocked them on the head) but the encryption method I used was easier to work with and was better protected with a fixed-size footer. On top of that, I thought 64 files was more than enough to accompany a game. Even if people go over that, they can always address a second, third, et cetera pack file.

Smarty

#27 jph_iterationGAMES

jph_iterationGAMES

GMC Member

• 105 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 11:23 PM

ok,. this it cool, i don't get enoph time to read these forums,. I like the sound of this,. I'll have a look,. the ability to com between game and patterns is very cool! that feature will enable music based gameplay,. in a serious way.

if you can get v2m support that would roc,

#28 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:46 AM

if you can get v2m support that would roc,

I'd like to, but V2M is not supported by FMOD. Since I'm not familiar with C++, what I would need is a ready-made DLL for V2M output that has a good description of it's exported functions. Then I could create a calling DLL for it with, intentionally, the same functionality of JBFMOD.

Unfortunately, all of the DLLs on the Farbrausch site are purpose-made for other applications. ^_^

Edit: I thought the download was a V2M source, but it's actually a LIB file. I may be able to link it. Hmmm...

Smarty

Edited by Smarty, 16 March 2005 - 10:15 AM.

#29 jph_iterationGAMES

jph_iterationGAMES

GMC Member

• 105 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 02:38 PM

any luck linking the LIB file? also,. there is included the .dll readymade for winamp., alas i suppose that is not interchangeable with the fmod, dlls.. ^_^

#30 Shaltif

Shaltif

The Audio Master

• GMC Elder
  • 1185 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:53 AM

Just throwing another option down on the table for V2M support in GM.

If you got a WinAmp dll which plays this format, then SXMS2 should be able to play the format (using it's winamp support functions). So if all other options are lost, you can try SXMS2 and see how that goes.

~Brandon

#31 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 05:49 PM

any luck linking the LIB file? also,. there is included the .dll readymade for winamp., alas i suppose that is not interchangeable with the fmod, dlls..

I wouldn't really need them to link with FMOD - there's no point anyway, since all the DLLs can do is basically start and stop a V2M song in memory. It doesn't seem to be possible to link LIB files from Delphi - but someone could easily use them in C++. In fact, since there's a LIB file there's quite likely also a DLL file around, but it just hasn't been spread.

Smarty

#32 tapeworm

tapeworm

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:32 AM

Thanks for updating jbfmod. I just replaced the old version with 2.0 in my seiklus game. I'm sure I'll be using it in some future projects as well.

Darthlupi pointed me to this thread a while back, but it took me until now to brave opening up my old code again. Fortunately, I had used scripts for most of the music effects even back when I didn't know much about GM.

I'm still looking forward to seeing some games by you some day. :)

#33 ckv

ckv

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:58 AM

I just replaced the old version with 2.0 in my seiklus game...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks tapeworm! I just tested Seiklus in windows98 and finaly it works perfectly. Seiklus rules more than ever now. :)

#34 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for updating jbfmod. I just replaced the old version with 2.0 in my seiklus game. I'm sure I'll be using it in some future projects as well.

My pleasure. :angry: Apologies for the long wait, I know I have promised this long time ago.

Darthlupi pointed me to this thread a while back, but it took me until now to brave opening up my old code again. Fortunately, I had used scripts for most of the music effects even back when I didn't know much about GM.

Yes, I first planned to make it backwards compatible so any end user would have to suffice with replacing the DLLs but in the end I had to make some vital changes to make it much more robust. Besides, the original source was lost.

I'm still looking forward to seeing some games by you some day. :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you. That day is nearing... :)

Thanks tapeworm! I just tested Seiklus in windows98 and finaly it works perfectly. Seiklus rules more than ever now.  :mellow:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, it only took 3 years... :D

Smarty

#35 wolf_N32

wolf_N32

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:31 AM

wat r MOD / S3M / XM / IT files and what do they do? and sxm media player is better and can do these things

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Just to get ONE thing straight, if you don't know what MOD/S3M/XM/IT files are, you aren't into gamemaking. Many huge games like Deus Ex and Jazz JAckrabbit uses MOD music. These are music files, almost like MIDI, but contains its own samples and sounds. JBFMOD enables the GM user to play mod music in his game.

#36 Cpt Hunter

Cpt Hunter

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:19 PM

B) Thanks Smarty for this great tool for our Game Maker community!

I looked at the commands included. There is however no commands that allows you to control music dynamically depending where you are in the game.

I have in mind commands that deal with tracks to play within a specific song.

As you already know, mod file types are made of tracks. Depending of the game evolution you may want some tracks, track sequences to be played over and over until the player reach a specific goal.

Within the same music composition, there is part associated with game intro, player death, player loosing, enemy attacking, player triumphing, etc.

For example, in a game, your player is reaching the final... he must kills the BOSS! During this part of the game, you may want to play "attack" music movement made of a certain amount of track and/or track sequences. Once the player succeeds, then you resume the music with the appropriate track sequence associated with the final movement of the music.

Since it can take 2 minutes of battle for some players while other may require 10 minutes before killing the BOSS, you need to give commands to JBFMOD to continue to play a specific sequence of tracks (the one associated with the "attack" movement) until the BOSS is killed. Then another command is given to JBFMODto play the remaining tracks associated with "victory" movement!

Would it be difficult to write extra commands that allow to play individual tracks or defined track sequences?

Example of JBFMOD commands

play_track_no(track#);

define_track_sequence( track1, track2, ..., track_n);
play_track_sequence(seq1, seq2, seq2, ..., seq_m);

Note: define_track_sequence( ); could also include already defined sequence...seq
define_track_sequence( track/seq1, track/seq2, ..., track/seq_n);

ex:
//define track sequences
seq_attack1 = define_track_sequence( track21, track22, track23, track27....);
seq_attack2 = define_track_sequence( track34, track35, track36, ....);
seq_attack_final = define_track_sequence(seq_attack1, seq_attack2, track56, track57;
seq_victory = define_track_sequence(track56, track58, ....);

In the game during the attack in step event:

while (boss_dead=false){
while (ennemies_remaining >= 5) {
play_track_sequence(seq_attack1, seq_attack2);
}
while (ennemies_remaining < 5) {
play_track_sequence(seq_final);
}
play_track_sequence(seq_victory);
}

Of course this is just an example… Functions could be more advanced than that…. They could have built in loop, fade_in, fade_out, etc… features: Play_track_sequence(seq1, seq2, …, seq_n, loop/fade_in/fade_out);

The correct approach to deal with music dynamically through tracks and sequences construction is my own idea here as a neophyte in the field. I cannot tell you what would be the “correct” approach. This would need to be researched.

Again, it would be a great improvement to be able to control music dynamically during game play. It could start with just a few basic functions and then let the GameMaker community brings their own ideas based and their experience.

What do you think about that?

Steven

Edited by Cpt Hunter, 05 June 2005 - 02:54 PM.

#37 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:18 PM

No offense, but I think you missed a few features of JBFMOD. :P

A module is built up with patterns. A pattern describes what instruments or samples one or more channels should play within (usually) 64 rows. Modules do not store seperate channels (or tracks, as you call them) - so you usually combine a few yourself in a single pattern.

But the song that a module contains is built by specifying in what order the patterns should be played. The position in your song decides which part of the song is currently played. And to change this you can use jbfmod_set_position().

So, when the various modes or 'moods' in the game's music are defined in your game, let's say position 0-16 describe regular music, 17-20 are for a battle and 21-22 play a short victory track. All you have to do to indicate that the battle music should be played is jbfmod_set_position(17). If you want this part to loop then you can use jump commands in the track to jump back to a specific position.

Of course, suddenly skipping in a game's music doesn't always sound good. So what you can do is either wait until the current pattern has finished playing (using jbfmod_get_row() for example - if it is 0 it is about to start the next pattern) or even smoother, as you described, use volume fading. And to this end you can use jbfmod_set_master_volume().

This can all be easily scripted in Game Maker. Together with a well-composed song you should be able to get the result exactly as you require it - perfectly timed to the game.

Smarty

Edited by Smarty, 05 June 2005 - 04:20 PM.

#38 tangibleLime

tangibleLime

Lunatic

• GMC Elder
  • 2520 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:22 PM

wat r MOD / S3M / XM / IT files and what do they do? and sxm media player is better and can do these things

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Just to get ONE thing straight, if you don't know what MOD/S3M/XM/IT files are, you aren't into gamemaking. Many huge games like Deus Ex and Jazz JAckrabbit uses MOD music. These are music files, almost like MIDI, but contains its own samples and sounds. JBFMOD enables the GM user to play mod music in his game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excuse me.... you definately can. Who are you to say? I don't know what any of those are except for MOD and XM. And I definately am a GameMaker. Check my topics, if you've never heard of me, and don't laugh at other people...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#39 Cpt Hunter

Cpt Hunter

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:59 PM

No offense, but I think you missed a few features of JBFMOD.

Smarty... You're the best! I made a printout about this nice explanation! Now it is much cleared. In particular, this part

The position in your song decides which part of the song is currently played. And to change this you can use jbfmod_set_position().

resume what I try to explain to you in a very clumsy way! This is great:

jbfmod_set_position();
jbfmod_get_row();
jbfmod_set_master_volume();

...got it!

I personnaly do not compose music. However I intend to use what is available over internet. There is nice tunes out there and I hope to be able to control them in some project I am working on.

Thanks very much again for your help. Your application will be very usefull to me!

Steven

Edited by Cpt Hunter, 05 June 2005 - 08:07 PM.

#40 telephone47

telephone47

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:05 PM

This is amazing and will save me lots of file size (because mods are smaller than mp3s) :P

#41 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for the kind words, both.

I personnaly do not compose music. However I intend to use what is available over internet. There is nice tunes out there and I hope to be able to control them in some project I am working on.

Seeing what you plan to do you might have to make a few modifications (e.g. setting the jumps) to the songs themselves. Theoretically though it isn't even necessary to use position-jumping, since JBFMOD can simultaneously have lots of modules loaded - just start the mod that fits the mood best and set looping on if you want to repeat it.

I can also recommend trying to play around with the Modplug tracker. It's actually quite satisfying to have your own tunes play to the game. But as far as I know not a single GM user has made their own modules yet.

Well, good luck anyway. :P

Smarty

#42 Gosupuru

Gosupuru

Virus

• 144 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 05:57 PM

nice, this is great! I'll use this for my next game... crap... I dunno what to make mods with!
dang irony bites!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excuse me.... you definately can. Who are you to say? I don't know what any of those are except for MOD and XM. And I definately am a GameMaker. Check my topics, if you've never heard of me, and don't laugh at other people...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Roach is right, Wolf_N32, you, are worse then psycholis, don't laugh at other people for their stupidity... UNLESS they want you to, which they obviously don't.

#43 Cpt Hunter

Cpt Hunter

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:32 PM

Smarty,

Regarding the command : jbfmod_set_position()

It is not in your jbfmod scripts library. Also to handle music dynamically we still need at least those functions

jbfmod_set_position()
jbfmod_get_position()
jbfmod_set_row()

and maybe others... Have you forget to include them in the new version?

Thanks

Steven

Edited by Cpt Hunter, 10 June 2005 - 07:34 PM.

#44 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:46 PM

Uh oh. I was being a stupid :( . I got the terminology wrong.

Where I mentioned jbfmod_set_position() I meant jbfmod_set_order(). Likewise, it's counterpart is jbfmod_get_order().

I cannot introduce your suggestion jbfmod_set_row() because it is not supported by the FMOD library. Probably FireLight Multimedia saw no reason to include it since songs should offset at a particular order rather than at a row. Most MOD songs wouldn't sound correct anyway if played from a row that is not row 0.

If you wish to start at a different row than the patterns first row, you will have to rearrange the rows in the module itself, although I wouldn't advice it.

Smarty

Edited by Smarty, 17 June 2005 - 03:06 PM.

#45 Cpt Hunter

Cpt Hunter

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:18 PM

Hello, Smarty

You certainly not a chicken Smarty... I don't know lots of ckickens that could program such a useful utility like JBFMOD.

This is great to have you back by the way. I will start experimenting with jbfmod_set_order and will let you know how things turn out.

Thanks very much

P.S. > If by any chance it happens that you know some chickens that would give me some help coding... Let me know! :(

Steven

#46 pucone

pucone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 77 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:30 AM

jbfmod is great, but it seems to have trouble with my ESS Maestro in a dell inspiron 8100 on win2k. anyone had a similar problem? there's a buzzing in the low end that drives me mad. help!

#47 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:13 AM

jbfmod is great, but it seems to have trouble with my ESS Maestro in a dell inspiron 8100 on win2k. anyone had a similar problem? there's a buzzing in the low end that drives me mad. help!

I haven't heard of this before. You could try and see if it has anything to do with the FMOD library by e.g. trying out Shaltif's DLLs for FMOD.

Do you have a more precise description for this 'buzzing' sound? As in, background white noise? A certain tone being generated?

Smarty

#48 Cpt Hunter

Cpt Hunter

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:33 AM

Hello

Just an update to say that jbfmod_set_order works great!

Also, I try to use two JBFMOD (obj_controller1 handles JBFMOD1 and obj_controller2 handles JBFMOD2). But it doesn't work at all!

I would like to use the first to play song. And a second one dedicated to play sound FX!

How can I do that???

Thanks very much

Steven

Edited by Cpt Hunter, 23 June 2005 - 03:01 AM.

#49 Shaltif

Shaltif

The Audio Master

• GMC Elder
  • 1185 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 03:40 AM

Hello

Just an update to say that jbfmod_set_order works great!

Also, I try to use two JBFMOD (obj_controller1 handles JBFMOD1 and obj_controller2 handles JBFMOD2).  But it doesn't work at all!

I would like to use the first to play song.  And a second one dedicated to play sound FX!

How can I do that???

Thanks very much
Steven

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I may be a little rusty on JBFMOD's abilities, but I don't think it supports sound effects (at least, not in the wav format). You should do sound effects in WAV. Also, the way Fmod did "double instancing" back in 3.74 wasn't the best and might not even be possible depending how JBFMOD is setup.

Basically, if this is still setup like before, it was mainly used for background music support (MOD) while you let GM do the sound effect engine.

~Brandon

#50 pucone

pucone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 77 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:26 AM

Hi Smarty

I just downloaded SXMS2 and tried the example file; no problems. I'll try to implement it in my project and let you know if any trouble arises.

The buzzing in JBFMOD isn't a seperate tone. It's a kind of distortion that seems to occur in the low end, a similar sound as if your buffers are set improperly in some audio software.

Also, interestingly, if I am listening to an mp3 in winamp when I run my gamemaker project that uses JBFMod, the distortion occurs on the mp3 in winamp as well as the sound from gamemmaker. Strange.

I haven't heard of this before. You could try and see if it has anything to do with the FMOD library by e.g. trying out Shaltif's DLLs for FMOD.

Do you have a more precise description for this 'buzzing' sound? As in, background white noise? A certain tone being generated?

Smarty

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>