Platform Mmo Rpgs

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 Monkey939

Monkey939

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:16 AM

just then i had a look at gaia online didnt download it but it looks like a cross between maple and dofus. anyway, gaia looks like another mmo. a platform game is much faster paced and fun. no offence to mmos but alot of them are the same. its good to make things different other wise life be boring.

Edited by Monkey939, 22 February 2006 - 04:49 AM.

#52 Tooolbox

Tooolbox

GMC Member

• 377 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:09 AM

Lol...what's dofus?

Anyway, yes, things need to be different. My "traditional" examples (Warrior/Mage/Expert) are not exactly new material. That's why I'm using them as examples, right now I'm mainly discussing more the setup and engine than the content ;)

#53 neo8xp

neo8xp

GMC Member

• 590 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:28 PM

there are more prof. platform mmorpgs???????????
lemme check that out (a) I love platforms...
nvm... not really platform... >.< ;)

Edited by neo8xp, 24 February 2006 - 06:34 PM.

#54 Tooolbox

Tooolbox

GMC Member

• 377 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:06 AM

Lol, okay...

Does anybody know of any PMMORPGs besides MS?

#55 blackviper91

blackviper91

GMC Member

• 52 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:33 PM

Has anyone here read anything about the new War Hammer online game? There are two factions that fight each other. Each battle moves the victor closer to their enemies city. When they reach that city they can kill, loot, and plunder whatever they want. Since there are no players still alive to repel them, the game spawn an AI army to repel them. Then the battles start all over but the city that got plundered has to rebuild and is visibly damaged.
You could make the boss leader of the civilization or general/officer whatever. When they reach the city they could kill him.

The world could be a persistant type thing. There are hundreds of bosses. When your party kills one he is either respawned far away with a different name or put into a queue of monsters/bosses that are to be respawned. That will make it so there is less of problem with 20 players all killing the same boss the same day.

#56 Tooolbox

Tooolbox

GMC Member

• 377 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

Huh, that sounds kinda interesting. So in real-time players can "capture" territory (by ridding the area of monsters?) and push back the evil guy's influence. Less territory becomes hostile, towns spring up, until the players are banging at the evil guy's doorstep. But maybe other dark forces (or something) are active elsewhere, pushing back the "light territory". If a system were created to actively transform the terrain based on the inhabitants, it could be really neat. Like, the ghost town turns to a real one, the trees bear fruit, the sun shines, etc. And if the evil king orders an attack and the monsters consume an area, the townspeople are killed, the sun is clouded over, the trees turn all scraggly and haunted, etc. That would create a really dynamic environment.

#57 eat268

eat268

Videogame Programmer

• 335 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:46 AM

I like MapleStory because it has lots of places to explore, lots of quests to complete, lots of people to meet,lots of skills to learn and it has really good gameplay.

I would say that MapleStory is the best Platform MMORPG ever created.

The only problem about MapleStory is that it's filesize is way too big.

:)
C..C++..Java..PHP Coder.

#58 Frostblade

Frostblade

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 3329 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

A suggestion I tend to throw around a lot, but none the worse for it, is to make your game satisfying. Instead of gaining a new 'rank' of a spell after that one hour of training, for an amazing 3 extra damage, give them a big reward over a moderatley large timespan. You could perhaps, say, give them a new spell every 5 levels, and make increasing spell effectiveness something totally separate.

Example:
At each level-up, you gain five 'Skill Points' and five 'Power Points'.
'Skill Points' can be spent to buy spells, in a skill-tree system, with each having a variable points cost. This means that you're not spending the same amount of effort on, say, a weak spell to cure poison and a spell to call down lightning. A realistic cost for these two spells would be 2 or 3 points for the Cure Poison, and perhaps 15 or 20 for the lightning.
'Power Points' are used to upgrade various aspects of spells. Taking a 'fireball' spell as an example, you could increase three variables- range, damage and area-of-effect. This adds extra customisation, and makes every character different. It also makes things less predictabe, for PvP and duelling, and reduces the chances of a 'perfect point-spending chain' that everybody uses.

When did my one-word suggestion expand into a whole skill system? :lol:

#59 cyberdudequestor

cyberdudequestor

GMC Member

• 378 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:43 AM

SOMEONE MAKE A PLATFORMER FIGHTING GAME/RPG HYBRID ALREADY!!! CASTLEVANIA MMORPG!!! METROID MMORPG!!! ;)

MAKE THE SMASH BROS. STYLE HALO VS. METROID GAME I WAS MAKING BUT NEVER FINISHED!!! :P :D B)

SOMEONE DO IT BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WILL! -_-

IF SOMEONE GIVES ME GRAPHICS FOR IT THEN I WILL MAKE THIS. I might need help on some networking issues but.... I WILL MAKE IT :D

If no one gives me graphics, just remember that I'm no artist AT ALL, so this type of game will never be made. Truthfully I would rather NOT rip graphics from 2d castlevania and metroid games, and there are no 2d halo graphics that will work for this anyway... :D

Give me the graphics, the theme will be decided by whoever replies to this post, and I will make it! ;)

NOTE: this is a FIGHTING/RPG HYBRID which means it's battle system will be just like street fighter or smash bros. with rpg customization.

JOIN MY TEAM IN TEAM REQUESTS FORUM SECTION AND MAKE THIS A POSSIBILITY

Edited by cyberdudequestor, 22 November 2007 - 04:18 AM.

#60 Sake02

Sake02

GMC Member

• 81 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:18 AM

If a game like this was online would it not just be MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online) or just strickly online, inless it was a Platform RPG, but the genre you just described was more platform. If you could only create one character, and would not have any option of stats, then havnt you removed the characteristics of a RPG?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree completely...
Stats are uneeded in a MMO as long as your charecter progresses to get "better" in sum way...

Slime Online does a great way of desribing this...

#61 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

I like MapleStory because it has lots of places to explore, lots of quests to complete, lots of people to meet,lots of skills to learn and it has really good gameplay.

I would say that MapleStory is the best Platform MMORPG ever created.

The only problem about MapleStory is that it's filesize is way too big.

:lol:

I'm a level 72 hermit. I kill 1 monster every 5 seconds, can't mob very well, only get 0.02% of a level per monsters, have above average attack for hermits, and people tell me that hermits are overpowered.
1 level per 6 hours?
NEXT
Seriously, make this if your life depends on it. Private servers suck. But GMS sucks more. (GMS = the "official" MS. one of them anyways).

And, fork stat points. They suck tennis balls.

Edited by Demonhawk, 03 September 2008 - 10:59 AM.

Click here to recieve a free popup!
Because if you don't click it now, you may be forever wondering what it is...

Poll: Are you planning on going into the games-development/IT industry after GM?
Yes, the games-development industry
Yes, just the general IT industry
Nah, gamemaker is just a hobby for me.
(Results)