175 replies to this topic

#1 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:41 AM

G'day everyone,

It has been a VERY long time since I last posted an update to this thread. The good news is that I've picked up the pieces of my game and started to work on it again. There have been some fundamental changes to the way the game is played.

Some of the changes to the game include:

New isometric view,
New right click and drag action buttons,
Practically all resources are external resulting in a much quicker load time and easy patch updates as you just have to redownload the EXE file,
And a multitude of code tweaks and enhancements to the gameplay.

NEW update 30 April 11

Fixed more bugs and now you can get your party ready at the Armoury before heading into a quest.

Here's the link to both the main game and the patch file:

HeroQuest

There is a mirror here, kindly provided by Novaz:
http://www.box.net/shared/189rlrmto4

And here is a screenshot:

Posted Image

If you find any bugs scattered here and there, please post them so I can fix them and make this a better game.

Cheers

LB

Edited by LurchBrick, 30 April 2011 - 12:41 PM.

#2 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:55 AM

I've just uploaded an updated demo. This demo should now be a lot more optimised and stable, and I also fixed a few bugs that people had emailed to me. Link in first post.

#3 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:52 AM

There was a MAJOR bug in the last update. It turned out that in the third quest, you couldn't kill the main boss. This has been fixed.

Also added a small feature that allows you to view the hero's details when you place the mouse cursor over the top of the hero.

Link in the first post.

#4 Gimpy Matey

Gimpy Matey

Arr!

• 497 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:56 AM

ok, this game sounds cool...im dling it now 90%, ill edit this when i finish

EDIT:

:D This was really entertaining! its a lot like Dungeons and Dragons, Really well done, congrats

Pointers:
controls REALLY hard to get used to

but everything else was done really great

WEll done!

Edited by Gimpy Matey, 21 October 2004 - 01:03 AM.

#5 geneandjims

geneandjims

Don't touch me I'm Evil

• 234 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:04 AM

OH...MY...FREAKING...GOD!!! I still have Heroquest in my basement! I mean the original with all the spell cards and little figures and the cool dice and all that good stuff!!! Im downloading it now (even tho it's going on 6 megs and Im a 56k user) If it is anything like the board game Im sure I'll love it!!! Another cool game you could remake is Dungeon it was like HQ except alot harder and more detailed.

OMFG,
-Gene

#6 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:25 AM

Gimpy Matey: Glad you are enjoying it. Could you please be a bit more specific in regards to the controls being too hard to get used to. Do you have any tips on how to improve the controls? I was thinking of implementing mouse movement rather than having to use the keyboard.

geneandjims: The game is exactly the same as the board game with spell cards, dice rolling, miniatures, etc.

#7 geneandjims

geneandjims

Don't touch me I'm Evil

• 234 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:48 AM

Well, I must say I was extremely pleased with this game! I especially liked how you got images of ALL the cards including the spells! Only thing I could ever hope for would be an editor but with the 14 included quests it hardly needs one! 9.99/10 from me (There is no perfect game sorry) but keep up the damn good work!

Wicked,
-Gene

#8 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 02:41 AM

Thanks, glad you liked it. I will be making more quests and changing the view to isometric. I just have to work on the snap to grid for isometric movement.

#9 AMMO

AMMO

GMC Member

• 34 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 04:13 AM

dude, i got herquest in my room! this game totally recaptures it, the board and the cars and everything dude, good start so far.

#10 Cof_Amor

Cof_Amor

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:22 AM

Wow... i thought heroquest was dead. I still have the board game and i have the Isometric PC game that came out in like 1992... that game owned... illl edit this post when ive played.

EDIT: That was a good game as far as i played but whenever i pressed the L key, it said "error file not open for reading" and made me abort. It looked extremly good from what i saw though oh and try and make it full screen or lower resolution because even at my max screen size(1024x768), it still went off the bottom of my screen... I even disabled my taskbar but it was still too big...

Edited by Cof_Amor, 21 October 2004 - 11:50 AM.

#11 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 10:47 PM

That's strange cause the three views of the game add up to a few pixels smaller than 1024x768.

I'll also be adding a status bar to the bottom of the screen so you can keep an eye on all the different heroes stats.

I've started adding mouse movement code similar to Hovendalls Tactics. It's a bit rough at the moment but its getting there. :ph34r:

#12 shinydarklink

shinydarklink

TNA Graphics Artist

• 197 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:03 PM

Sounds good
Downloading...will edit with comments ^_^

EDIT: WOW!!! great game, i died on the first quest, i only brought 1 hero though :P I liked the enemy ai and the gfx were alright, but if it was iso i think i'd look allot better. heres your prize, a chicken :ph34r:

Edited by shinydarklink, 21 October 2004 - 11:22 PM.

#13 End of the World

End of the World

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 06:58 AM

This is an excellent recreation of HeroQuest. I haven't played this since I was a kid!

Some points:

-Why change the view to isometric? The way you have it is just like the real HeroQuest. I enjoy the authenticity.
-KEEP THE KEYBOARD MOVEMENT! I don't understand everyone's obsession with mouse movement...
-Can you make it so you van see the enemy stats when you mouse-over them or would that go against the rules? I don't remember.
-Animations will be nice when you finish them.
-The control scheme works very well (I just have to keep hitting 'K' to remind myself what they are).
-I hit a glitch in the second mission where I couldn't move, but my 'Moves remaining' counter kept rising infinately until I aborted.
-I agree with geneandjims; an editor would be wonderful!

Keep working on this game! I will download it every time you update.

P.S. How do you save? Or is it automatic?
P.P.S Have you played the sequel to HeroQuest? I think it was called HeroBattle (or something) and it was a huge plastic mat with hexes instead of a gameboard and you had different army units. It was great too. I still have it and was wondering if anyone else even played it. I'm the only one I know of so far...

#14 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 11:24 AM

Glad you liked it.

Saving is automatic. It occurs after you have finished purchasing weapons at the armoury. The current demo has a bug which stops loading from working correctly. It will be fixed in the next release.

The sequel you refer to is not actually a sequel. It was called Battle Masters and is a very simplified version of Warhammer Fantasy Battles. And yes, many people have played this game, myself included. I want to start making a Battle Masters game with Game maker once I've got Heroquest out of the way.

The reason I want to go isometric is that it does look better and I've always wanted to make an isometric game. This version is just a demo to get myself fluent with Game Maker.

Keyboard movement has a few bugs in it that I don't like, the glitch you mentioned, and the simple solution is to change to mouse movement.

I will add the feature to show monster stats when you mouse over. Good idea.

An editor is well down on my priorities. I would like to add one, but not in the forseeable future.

The new demo is almost done and I'll upload it in a few days.

#15 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 01:57 PM

I've updated the demo once again. :P

The arrow keys are no longer used for movement. Mouse movement has been implemented similar to Hovendalls tactics. Just have to press the "M" key to move.

Loading a saved game now works correctly.

Addes the show monster stats when mouse over.

Added a hero stat bar for your party of heroes at the bottom of the page so you can keep track of their status at any moment of the game.

Link still in the first post.

#16 commanderrobot

commanderrobot

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 05:46 AM

Cool! I have heroquest lying around somewhere too....

this game just looks great! although i did find i had to keep looking to see what the controls were. It would be nice if the list of keys were constantly visible somewere... also

finally, i'm sure you know about this but sometimes if i click to move near the exit, the hero will try to go through the exit to reach the point, and then if i say "no" to the exit dialogue, he'll just try moving there again. I think the exit should be marked as a "no go" area unless you are moving directly towards it.

otherwise, this game is fantastic, and very professionally done.

#17 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 06:21 AM

Thanks for the compliment.

At the moment I'm getting rid of all the key presses and changing them to mouse presses. So when you right click on the hero, all the possible menu selections will appear around the hero and then you click on the action you wish to execute. Also you will only have to click on a door to open it rather than press the "O" key. And finally to select a hero, you just have to click on them rather than use the number keys.

As to the exit movement problem, yes I do know about this. I've changed it so that when you do inadverdantly enter the exit, your movement will now stop rather than just keep endlessly trying to leave the room.

Also if you're health gets dangerously low, it will now blink red as a warning that one of your heroes is close to death.

I'll upload this latest version by the weekend.

#18 geneandjims

geneandjims

Don't touch me I'm Evil

• 234 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 10:51 PM

Sounds sweet, I'm looking foreward to the next update as well as the remake of Battle Masters which was also a very good game.

Keep it up,
-Gene

#19 Zarthas

Zarthas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 845 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 27 October 2004 - 11:07 PM

Heroquest! I loved this game. Downloading now...

An error came up about an unknown variable "goodness" when I tried to move once I had seen some orcs. It looks grand so far, but a little difficult to control. I would suggest simplifaction. For instance, when you attempt to move onto a closed door, it should open. Otherwise, it was cool :)

Edited by Zarthas, 27 October 2004 - 11:15 PM.

#20 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 08:27 AM

G'day everyone,

Here's the latest update I've been working on.

The major change is the implementation of mouse commands. Practically all the key commands for the heroes have now been changed so that they are mouse driven. Left click on the hero to select them, then right click on the hero to bring up the actions that the hero can do.

Also, if you want to select a hero that is off screen, you first have to select the View cursor and then once you've moved around the screen, just click on the hero who's turn is next.

Numerous bug fixes also incorporated. :(

Here's the link:

HTTP://oldscratch.smackwell.com/trial/hqdemo.zip

#21 End of the World

End of the World

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 08:43 AM

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Corrupt or incomplete archive.

I really wanted to see the new interface, too ;_;

EDIT: Okay, my bad. I think you were uploading it as I was trying to download. I didn't notice that it was getting steadily larger...

Anyway, finally got to try it out. I will say, I am a reformed man. I like the mouse movement and will no longer slander the mouse. The click-on-hero-for-options interface is nice, but the letter icons aren't very self explanatory. I found that I still needed to constantly push the "K" key to see which icon to click. Maybe you could have a small description of the action appear when you move the mouse over the button? Also, please make the mouse movement range more forgiving before the screen starts to scroll. I had very minor (yet annoying) difficulty when trying to click on an enemy to attack. That's more of a final polish suggestion really...

Keep working on it, everything seems to be a step in the right direction. This is still one of my favotite board games and you have captured it very well! I can't to see what's in store in the future!

Side note: Ahh yes, Battle Masters, that's it. I guess I just assumed it was a "sequel" to HeroQuest because some of the units were the same (namely the Chaos Warriors: I have not seen them in any other game). I did not know it was from Warhammer. Great game, Battle Masters.

EDIT AGAIN: I ran across an error in Mission 1. The Barbarian was standing between the door to the Gargoyle room and the block wall piece, and I got a message about merging with the furnature resulting in my death. After I clicked OK, an error popped up that I couldn't ignore and had to abort. Sorry, I forgot to write down what it said. If it happens again, I'll make sure to let you know (unless you already know that is).

Edited by End of the World, 31 October 2004 - 09:48 AM.

#22 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for the quick feedback. I was in a bit of a hurry to get this demo out before the weekend was over so forgot to add the tool tips bit. So now I've added it. :D

And fixed the bug you mentioned also.

Here's the link again. Uploading now. ^_^

HQ demo

Thanks NefariousD. :D

Edited by LurchBrick, 31 October 2004 - 09:30 PM.

#23 Zarthas

Zarthas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 845 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 03:15 PM

It says it cannot be found ^_^

#24 nefariousD

nefariousD

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 03:54 PM

He accidentally entered the URL wrong into the link.. try this:

HTTP://oldscratch.smackwell.com/trial/hqdemo.zip

Lurch: You have "http://HTTP://oldscr...ial/hqdemo.zip" as the link.. just a quick edit will fix it :)

Edited by nefariousD, 31 October 2004 - 03:55 PM.

#25 nefariousD

nefariousD

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 04:09 PM

Very cool game. I like to see board/strategy/rpg type games being made with such quality. I did encounter a bug, though.. I had a wizard, and I chose to cast the Flame Ball spell (that might not have been the name; it was the first on the fire spell list), and after I chose it I realized I didn't have line of sight on the monster, and so I couldn't cast the spell. I didn't see any way to cancel the spell. I ended up left-clicking on one of my own guys just to see what it would do, and I got an error pop up in some variable. I can reproduce the error to get a specific variable name if you have any trouble reproducing it yourself.

#26 medioman80

medioman80

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 06:12 PM

Good job so far :D

One problem, had to manually switch the desktop to the proper resolution.
Also, open doors block line of sight for spells.

IMO "fog of war" would be a great addition :( For example unexplored squares (and unused rooms) could be completely black, while explored squares that aren't currently visible by any hero could be covered by a partially transparent square, just to let the player remember the map (but monsters in these locations should be invisible).

Keep going :)

#27 Zarthas

Zarthas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 845 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 12:23 AM

Thank ye nefarious, downloading

Its fun :blink: But still a little confusing. Maybe you could enlarge the buttons to actually say something? Or have a symbol for each one

Edited by Zarthas, 01 November 2004 - 12:38 AM.

#28 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 05:24 AM

The tool tips I added expand upon the buttons. They appear when you place the mouse over a button. If it doesn't, then you have to download the latest version.

V = View Cursor
M = Movement
A = Attack
C = Cast Spell
D = Disarm traps
J = Jump
S = Search for Secret Doors
T = Search for Treasure
B = Search for Booby traps

I think they are all the buttons used.

Edited by LurchBrick, 01 November 2004 - 05:25 AM.

#29 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 02:18 PM

Welcome to another update of the HeroQuest computer game.

All key driven menus have been replaced with mouse driven menus.

The Give command has been incorporated into the new Inventory menu. When you click the Give button, a list of the other heroes appear. You then click on the hero who you want to give the item to, then click on the item.

The Sell command has also been incorporated into the Inventory menu, but will only appear while you are at the armoury.

All menu buttons have tool tips while selling or giving items.

The wandering monster bug has been fixed.

Line of sight for spells has also been fixed.

To cancel a spell, you just need to right click on the hero who cast the spell.

Mouse is now less sensitive when finding a monster to attack.

Here's the link:

HeroQuest demo

Edited by LurchBrick, 05 November 2004 - 02:19 PM.

#30 Nailog

Nailog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 603 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 05 November 2004 - 08:30 PM

Nice game. It is a tad slow, making movement a small pain. Chaos Warriors are freaking hard.

I ran in to 2 bugs.

- A negative array index when I searched for treasure. The treasure was a healing potion, it reported case 14 in the code for treasure cards. Hitting ignore let the game continue, and I think I got the potion. (More on that in the next bug report.)

- If you click on a potion, and keep clicking on it, your inventory disappears, but you don't lose your weapon. As in, the inventory entry for the weapon disappears, but the weapon is still equipped. Because of this, I couldn't use the potion I gained above. (The dwarf had already destroyed his inventory by using a previous healing potion a whole bunch. Lack of feedback caused me to click it a number of times, until I noticed that his BP had gone up.)
<div align='center'>
<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--> : <a href="http://www.yoyogames...members/Nailog" target="_blank">YYG Profile</a> : <a href="http://members.cox.net/nailog/" target="_blank">Page of Random Stuff</a> : <a href="http://www.yoyogames...mes/show/21557" target="_blank">Isometric Strategy RPG Engine 1.05</a> (<a href="http://forums.yoyoga.../3/topics/7352" target="_blank">forum topic</a>) :

I fell into Fallout 3 and I can't get out.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
</div>

#31 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 11:43 AM

Uploaded a new version with the fixes below.

Monster and hero targetting now more accurate.

You can now give gold to other heroes.

Potion problems have been fixed. All potions that the
heroes find can be used.

Shift Q to exit.

#32 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:30 PM

New update.

2 heroes moving together bug fixed.

Heroes will now walk around traps rather than into them.

Diagonal attack weapons now attack diagonally.

Thrown weapons will now be lost when you throw them.

Minor code optimisations also.

#33 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 01:00 PM

G'day all,

I've just been updating my game to GM6 so things, like midi music, should run better and faster.

Fixed 3 bugs in quest 7 which stopped the heroes from progressing.

Adding a few more graphical touches to the spell selection.

Here's a screenshot:

Posted Image

And here's the link:

Latest HeroQuest demo

The file is just under 7 Meg.

Edited by LurchBrick, 29 November 2004 - 01:01 PM.

#34 Warp entertainment

Warp entertainment

GMC Member

• 37 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 02:25 PM

Man, i've got that game!!! :D
This gotta be great!
I'll edit when i've played it!
great game! I loved the board game and i love this!
But can't you make the Characters, Monsters and whatever face each other in combat?
I used to turn 'em so they were facing the way they're going...
Otherwise good game and i hope you'll keep it up!

Edited by Warp entertainment, 30 November 2004 - 06:36 AM.

#35 Natso

Natso

Nat S. Orion

• 1055 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 03:51 AM

you shoulda done it with GM5. I can't play it on my 98 and thats all I every use, xept to get online, but I can't play games on this pc.

anyways it looks kool.

#36 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 02:11 AM

Unless anyone finds some bugs for me to fix, this will probably be the last release. I just wanted to convert it to GM6 to see how things have changed from GM 5.3.

I've already started work on converting this game to isometric view rather than top down. I'll upload a demo when I complete the first level, just working on graphics issues at the moment.

Natso : If you want to give me your email address, I can send you the version that was made in GM 5.3. It's about 7Mb though.

Edited by LurchBrick, 01 December 2004 - 02:13 AM.

#37 Nailog

Nailog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 603 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 05:49 AM

I liked the new version. It definitely felt more stream-lined, with the increased movement speeds and card graphics.

A few issues / suggestions / questions though ...

1. You might want to make sure the card sprites are marked as transparent. The monster cards that I saw had black pixels on the corners of the cards, making the rounded corners sharp.

2. When highlighting a character action button, the creature underneath the button is also highlighted. I don't think this is supposed to happen, as the cursor doesn't highlight any other creatures when in the actions menu (unless they happen to be underneath a button).

3. Have you considered making the game full-screen, and changing the resolution if the current desktop resolution is below the required game resolution? Having the game take up 95% of my screen (with a resoution of 1024X768) but still having part of the game screen off my monitor at the top and bottom is a tad annoying. Especially since the taskbar interferes. (Not all of us have it set to auto-hide.)

4. Could you resize the creature cards (either by cropping wasted space, or by just making them smaller) so that they fit inside the right-hand panel?

5. Could you edit the player cards, changing some of the captions like "Starting Weapon" and "Starting Armor," and use a card to display the currently selected character's stats, instead of the simple text draw? The highlighted monster card could go directly beneath it. Also, you could get rid of the boxes showing the whole party stats, and use the highlighting system that creatures are using. When a character is highlighted, the currently selected character's card could be replaced with the highlighted character's card.

6. Would you consider removing the automatic map centering when selecting characters, and allow the player to move the map with the arrow keys? (Now that they are no longer used for movement.) Some of us have never actually played the board game, and it would be nice to be able to browse around the full map.

7. For those of us who don't have the game, could you explain a bit about how attacking and defending work in the help section?

I guess that's enough for now. Nice work. :)
<div align='center'>
<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--> : <a href="http://www.yoyogames...members/Nailog" target="_blank">YYG Profile</a> : <a href="http://members.cox.net/nailog/" target="_blank">Page of Random Stuff</a> : <a href="http://www.yoyogames...mes/show/21557" target="_blank">Isometric Strategy RPG Engine 1.05</a> (<a href="http://forums.yoyoga.../3/topics/7352" target="_blank">forum topic</a>) :

</div>

#38 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 02:08 AM

1. I'll have to work on the card graphics because the corner colours which are meant to be transparent are also throughout the card making the cards look see through. But I'll definitely fix them up.

2. This has been fixed.

3. This has been done.

4. This has been done.

5. This is a great idea! Don't know why I didn't think of it before. :(
As to the character highlighting, I used to have this but I had some people say that they would prefer having the important health statistics of the heroes always available so that they knew who was close to dying. It is very easy to forget who is close to death without the whole party stats being available.

But I will bring back the character highlighting that you suggest. Best to have both and satisfy all parties. :)

6. You don't need the arrow keys to look around the map as you can view the map by selecting the View icon.

7. Done.

Thanks for taking the time to try out the game. Hope you're enjoying it.

#39 davidolson22

davidolson22

GMC Member

• 15 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:50 AM

I downloaded the update from Nov 29th, and was looking forward to playing it. However, there were several issues:

First, as several people have mentioned, the screen is so large that even when my monitor was on max resolution (1280x720) the bottom of the window was hidden by my taskbar. Changing the resolution didn't even seem to help!

I selected a warrior and a dwark, clicked on done, selected there names, then I went to a screen where there were some words on the screen but I didn't seem to be able to do anything but quit. What was I supposed to do on that screen...?

#40 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 12:50 PM

I thought I'd set the room size properly but instead of being at 1024x768, it is actually at 1024x798 which leads to the bottom of the screen being cut off. I'll fix that in a future update.

After you have selected the heroes names, you then get taken to the quest description screen which tells you what you are supposed to do in the current quest. Once the desription has stopped scrolling up the screen, the words "Press space to continue" appear. Once you press space, the quest begins.

#41 davidolson22

davidolson22

GMC Member

• 15 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 05:09 PM

I cranked the resolution of my screen up all the way and the screen after you select the heroes finally looks good. When the screen is too small, the map and a few other sections of the screen don't appear!

I think you are being unrealistic with your requirements for screen resolution. Most monitors don't look so good at 1280x960 and most people definitely don't leave that as the default setting. 1024x768 is the last setting that is reasonable with my monitor, and I leave it on 800x600. If you really want the higher resolution, you should force the resolution to change.

Edited by davidolson22, 04 December 2004 - 05:28 PM.

#42 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:15 AM

I'm currently uploading a version which makes the monitor change to 1024x768 in full screen. This should get rid of all the problems people are having with the viewing size.

Nailog: The only thing I haven't changed for this update is using the hero cards as their stats rather than the text draw event.

The latest version has now been uploaded.

Edited by LurchBrick, 05 December 2004 - 08:55 AM.

#43 Nailog

Nailog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:06 PM

I can't download the new demo. The file download usually starts at around 12 KB/sec and then falls to 6 KB/sec. After a few seconds (usually around 20-120 KB downloaded) the progress just freezes, and ten minutes later I get an error.

Could you perhaps give a second download site?
<div align='center'>

</div>

#44 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 07:27 AM

Nailog: Try the download again. I reuploaded it and then tested the link by downloading the file. Everything worked fine.

HQ demo

#45 Elmernite

Elmernite

Kengine

• GMC Member
  • 424 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 06 December 2004 - 06:55 PM

All it did was freeze up my computer. I tried it twice.
Elmernite :mellow:

rsbanner.png
Kengine Gaming "Kengine Gaming is the best GM site I've seen" - flubmasterQ
"Good games never die" - Elmernite

#46 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 07:43 AM

I have no idea why the game is freezing on your computer. It works fine on my computer and other people who have downloaded it don't have this problem.

Do other GM6 games work on your computer?

#47 End of the World

End of the World

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 01:57 AM

Everything looks great in your latest release! I didn't come across any gameplay glitches, except how do you pick up the treasure chests in Mission 4? Or do you not have to anymore? I couldn't figure out how to obtain them and didn't want to run all the way back to the entrance just to find out that I needed to bring them with me...

Keep it up!

#48 Elmernite

Elmernite

Kengine

• GMC Member
  • 424 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 December 2004 - 02:02 AM

Yes, all gm6 games work on my computer. I'm making a game in gm6. Who knows? :)
Elmernite :(

rsbanner.png
Kengine Gaming "Kengine Gaming is the best GM site I've seen" - flubmasterQ
"Good games never die" - Elmernite

#49 LurchBrick

LurchBrick

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:17 PM

In mission 4 you only have to kill all the monsters to complete the quest. You no longer have to bring the chests back to the beginning of the level.

#50 Hirvine

Hirvine

GMC Member

• 160 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 08:00 PM

Hey, well done!
That was a long time ago I played HeroQuest.

Still at the beginning of the game you ask to choose your heroes.
Do you plan to make more? There are only 4 or I got an lite version...
Or, you make a multi-player option in the next version ...
So, why that question?

Graphics, game... Like HeroQuest. Good job.