Game Ideas and Design Rules
Here you can discuss game design issues, and ideas for GM games you are making. These may be general issues, or they may be specific ideas for your own games. Topics must be related to GameMaker games.
General Design Issues
Examples include, but aren't limited to:
- Techniques for rewarding or penalizing the player
- Involving the player in the storyline
- Creating moods and evoking emotion
- Innovative ways of mixing game genres
- Making efficient and easy-to-use controls
- Providing in-game help, or writing instruction manuals
- Using design documents[/b]
Specific Ideas for Your Own Games
If you are developing a game idea, you may describe it here and ask for suggestions. Avoid vague or poorly developed ideas. Provide information about the game objective, gameplay style, theme, and relevant features.
Explain specifically where design help is needed. DO NOT just ask people to comment on your idea, or if they like your idea.
Please DO NOT post topics like these:
- Advertisements for your game - If your game exists, post it in the WIP forum. If it does not exist, don't advertise it.
- Gimmicks such as competitions and contests - Attention-grabbing tricks are annoying.
- Questions like "What would you like in 'X' type of game?"...or..."Would you play 'X' type of game?" - Don't ask others to design your game for you. Instead, describe your own ideas and then ask for suggestions.
- Just offering ideas for other member - These topics don't encourage discussions. Instead, advertise for your idea-making talents in your signature.
- Questions like "Has somebody made a....?" or "Is this game possible?" - If you're looking for a game, Game Jolt, TIGdb, FreeIndieGam.es, Pixel Prospector and YoYo Games are good places to start searches.